need a 'new' canoe ...

answers …

– Last Updated: Oct-04-06 1:25 PM EST –

-->Will a rec type long cockpit with spray cover do or is your ocean paddling far out and rough enough you need a small cockpit with it's stronger spray cover?

no, i need a small cockpit like the ones that are on my Pintail, Explorer and Sirius. i do (did) alot of rough water ocean paddling, surf landings and etc.

-->Are you going to load the "Kayak" type boat you paddle on the ocean as you described for your two, three, four week fresh water trip(s)?

currently i have several kayaks. my Pintail is for day and overnight trips, playing in the surf playing in rock gardens. my Explorer is primarily used for long expeditions of a month or so. so how to answer your question? i probably need two boats a 'day' boat and a boat with enough volume to carry a 4 week load.

-->Have you ever paddled a kayak with a SHORT canoe paddle? Works well, especially with a rudder or even a skeg.

no. i did try my regular canoe paddle and without a rudder it's a less than useless experience. none of my boats have rudders.

my friend Dawn is bringing me her seaWind (or it may be a Dream Catcher .. i dunno) for me to try this weekend. i'll let you know what i think.

Indy specs:
Length 15'8"/477.5cm
Gunwale Width 29.5"/75cm
Depth at Center 12"/30.5cm
Weight 45lbs/20.5kg
6" Freeboard Capacity 700lbs./318kg

thanks mick.

dan

Hum …
First it was one boat. Then two boats. Now three boats. Soon four, five? Could get expensive, this trading out.

You need kayak size cockpit. Already have the size, etc boats you want.

The expedition canoes are going to need a rudder at least part of the time.

Is there the chance you might regain movement again allowing double blade?

In your situation think I would slap a rudder on a kayak you already have and paddle it with a canoe paddle to look see.

:^)

Mick

more answers.
–>Is there the chance you might regain movement again allowing double blade?

at this point, i hold little hope but i do keep saying, “maybe next year”.

–>slap a rudder on a kayak you already have and paddle it with a canoe paddle.

rudder on a pintail or explorer? oh, the horror. i’d sooner sell them to someone who can use them properly. i’ll be trying Dawns boat this weekend … that should tell me alot.

Only other small cockpit canoes I know
of are the white water type. I do know of two builders that may be willing to built what you are looking for.

One makes custom decked boats from Bell hulls. Normally uses hulls around 15’ to construct decked sailing canoes, but am sure he could use any size. He does beautiful work. He is not cheap. Do not know how the sale of Bell effects this practice.

Another has built a completely solid deck mold with the intent of cutting out and making the cockpit to the buyers liking. I have only seen his open and standard decked boats to date. He makes very nice boats. I think he is more reasonable cost wise.

Be back to the boards next week. In the mean time you have my number if you need it.

:^)

Mick

Just a humble thought
Buy a voyager, pull th egunwales and cut down the bowso you have less windage. Throw on a rudder for those windy twisty things. Add a wind cover and a padded seat and you could fly.

humble yes … thought, hmmmm.
these are the thoughts you have in the evening? wow! yer bein’ silly, right?

better solo
The Independence is a nice boat; I’ve never paddled one loaded but I know it’s pretty hot unloaded.

I think the Hemlock Peregrine is a bullseye for what you seek. The handling is really sweet, it takes a big load happily, can handle big wind and water, and is light (and strong - even in the “heavy” kevlar layup. I love mine…great dog boat too. It’s a lake boat that’s happy on rivers and can even be freestyled. Hotter than a Shearwater but just as stable.

15 feet, 9 inches.

:slight_smile:

Hemlock
thanks for the info. i took a look at their site and the boat does look good. i’d need to paddle one for a bit before making such a rash decision as to trade in my Indy for a Perigrine.

where are you located?

Single blade
Dan,

I do just fine with a single blade paddling a kayak but my top speed is lower and it is a little harder to brace in rough water. I wouldn’t use a paddle over about 48 inches. If you want to borrow a short paddle let me know.

Frank

Dave Curtis

– Last Updated: Oct-08-06 3:46 PM EST –

is a pretty nice guy and will listen to your needs and put you in the right boat. With me it is the Kestrel but couldn't afford it and got a used Merlin 2. One day soon I will add a Hemlock to my fleet. I have tried out his beautiful Hemlock canoes and shared a camp with him when he was in the middle of a week long trip in the Everglades. I got to talking to the people in his group and was amazed at all the gear weight they had with them. With the water weight alone you need to carry (1 gallon per person per day), food, equipment I was so impressed by how fast and seaworthy his canoes were in that coastal area. There were about 5 people in his group and each had a different style boat, Kestrel, Peregrine, SRT and a tandem.

Anyway, that's a good idea about the Hemlock recommendation. Good luck with your search!