need advice from experienced kayakers

you gotta get realistic

– Last Updated: Jul-22-08 4:20 PM EST –

a kayak that's ok for a 100lb AND 160lb paddler 5'1"-5'6". That eliminates all the plastic boats as they'd be too heavy for you to accelerate or it REQUIRES a small boat for the larger person that would probably be tippy enough that they would have to know how to roll(if male,ie. top heavy).

My $.02 is that someone is going to compromise a LOT for all this to come from one boat for two people who aren't paddling together. I agree with the above poster, demo a CD Raven, pick it up and carry it and paddle it. Then do the same with the optimum boat for the 160lb paddler.

ditto Angstrom on building either a skin or s&g kayak. I've seen LOTS of 100lb paddlers STRUGGLING with 60lb boats and flying with 30lb kayaks. While the Pygmy Osprey 13 isn't particularly maneuverable it is screaming efficient and stable for a small person, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a stable kayak,,especiallly if you don't know how to roll. I built a 13'Pygmy for my daughter, it was my second build and it came in around 28lbs without hatches. She learned to roll in it and I sold it to a friend whose 95lb wife couldn't keep up in 60lb plastic boats but had absolutely no problem in this boat. I think it's worth getting a kayak you can pick up by yourself,,for you look for something under 30lbs. Under $1000 means home built. I could steer you to another kit that would fit you both but it won't be particularly maneuverable,,a Shearwater 16. That would fit you both, smidge tippy for the 160lber (unless they're female) and voluminous for you. With ultralight construction it could be around 36lbs.

Try some boats!

– Last Updated: Jul-22-08 5:22 PM EST –

A boat like a plastic Avocet should be a reasonable compromise.

It's a good choice for someone 160lbs (or even a bit larger). It might be slightly big for someone at 100lb.

A Romany (is there a plastic one yet?) would likely fit better.

(jonsprag1 mentioned the Avocet and Romany earlier).

One big difficulty is going to be the cockpit sizing. The smaller person is going to need a bit more padding.

You might be able to find a Tsunami that would work OK for both.

What are the inseam lengths of the two people?

The Mystic
The Futura Mystic is about 14’ perhaps 14’6" long and I loved playing in it. 5’8" 180 lbs then. It spun bobbed, rolled, excellerated quickly and was light.

I picked it up for my wife 5’ 0" unknown weight, who was not blown away by it so a friend bought it. She loves it.

My wife got the Capella (Poly) 16’ 6" then a glass Makkovic (16’6")

The Makkovic is perfect but only available in Newfoundland Canada (45 lbs)

The CAPELLA AT 16’6" OR 16’3" Would fit either of you and the Mystic may be a tad small for the 5’7" person unless they love playing or rock hopping in the boat.

For the most part I would not consider anything under 16 feet as a sea boat, the Mystic is the exception.

If you want a rec boat Costo has them cheap (14’ Pellicans $500.00) for a real boat on the big water I doubt they will cut it.

Under 16 feet you are really looking at rec boats and you can’t go wrong.

Alex

heh heh
:wink: