NEED ADVICE ON NEW BOAT

Force 4 instead of Quest? I’ll Try One
I have kind of narrow hips, but I ended up taking the seat out of my Meridian and my Explorer because of seat discomfort (my Khaya came with a velcro-adjustable seat pad and great backband). But as you stated, in your case the 167 worked out for your paddling style. For me, I like no wider than 22", and 21-21.5" is preferable. I’ve paddled one narrow boat that I really liked - the Guillemot Night Heron at 20" beam - it is lively on primary and very, very fun to paddle. I may build one this winter if I find enough ambition.

But for long trips where I spend 20-25 miles in a boat over 6-8 hours, I need to combine comfort, speed, good capacity, seaworthiness, and lively response. Crazy as it sounds, the Quest seems to fit that description (as do the Explorer and the Pt 65 N XP). It is great in the Mid-Atlantic chop and faster than Explorer (or seems so).

For example, I am planning to go to Sandusky OH soon and do a little trip to Kelly and maybe over toward Pidgeon Bay. I want to be comfortable on that trip and not have to (a)adjust my hips incessantly, and (b) fight the primary stability characteristics all day long. That stuff’s fun on a Saturday afternoon, but far less fun on a serious trip (trust me on that).

I will try a Force 4 before doing anything, though.

Other thoughts? Where are the Quest Owners?

Artisan Millenium
It’s a sweeet ride and a well built boat. If I ever had to replace mine, I’d get another.

Andy

Agree
"It’s a sweeet ride and a well built boat. If I ever had to replace mine, I’d get another."

It’s very sweet. And fast. I had one out in 4-foot rollers awhile back, very smooth in bigger water (but not the most nimble of rides). Great tripping boat.

But you can’t find 'em very often.

Yes, try it
I didn’t have any issue with the width of the boat, just the width of the seat hangers. They could have designed them wider easily, but they didn’t. There’s a review of the F5 on here that mentions this too.

The Force 4/5 actually has stiffer primary stability than the Capella. I prefer the bit looser feel around center of the latter, actually. The Force 4/5 does seem better riding through bigger headwind chop, though, the Capella pitches quite a bit more going over those.

Mike

Aquanaut
I like the Aquanaut better than the Force boats. I like the Force 4, but it feels closer to my Aquanaut than any other boat I’ve paddled, but not quite as fluid.

I think you may find both the Force and Aquanaut faster than a Quest and better mannered.

IMHO, the Aquanaut is among the ‘best mannered’ boats I’ve paddled in chop, quartering and beam seas etc…

MIKCo
Kajak Sport Artisan Millenium New $2,945 Sale $1,500

http://www.maineislandkayak.com/boats_in_stock.html

Update re that Maine Island Trail trip
I goofed - Mark used a Force 5 for that trip to get the very large cargo capacity. But I am pretty sure for anything in the more usual tripping range he would use a Force 4.

force 4 v quest
See my review of Quest. Great expedition kayak, less satisfying as a day boat except on flat water. Also needs a lot of outfitting if you’ve got skinny legs.

F4 is best bet–faster than the Explorer, which is a slug fully loaded, easy hatches, great control on edge. Will be my next expedition kayak. Weight was for paddler, not paddler plus load.