Need advie for lighter 16-17 tour kayak

Given
Given the ancestry of the Zephyr, it’s notable.

Swift Bering Sea
This was my first kayak, still have it and paddle it occasionally. Great design. Very fast for its length. It’s only 15’10" but the reverse transom gives it more length at waterline than many longer boats with upswept sterns (LWL is a major factor in hull speed).

It has awesome primary stability but secondary stability is a bit below average because of the relatively wide, shallow V hull. You can edge it to a point, but when you exceed that point, it tends to flip suddenly. Because of that and the shorter length, I don’t consider it a “performance” kayak (i.e.rough water). And it wasn’t designed to be. Swift excels at what they do, which is higher-end, well-designed light touring and recreational kayaks. The Bering Sea weighs 47 lbs with skeg, 45 without.

Couldn’t ask for better customer service. Bill Swift is personally involved with problem-solving, and the company goes above and beyond.

As for the weak thigh braces, I think the company’s addressed that, and it’s not a problem with their newer boats.

Say hi to Bill and Terry for me.

Cat

All-Carbon QCC700
Based on your weight, cargo requirements, need for efficiency and desire for a lighter weight kayak, the QCC700 is an excellent choice. If you order it in carbon you can expect a weight of about 45 lbs all up.

You can get it with or without thigh braces. I think most folks like the thigh braces, but I always preferred no braces for a looser fit that was better for my wing paddle stroke. Even without thigh braces the 700 is very rollable. I often would roll right over and capsize on the other side if I did not take it easy. The cockpit opening is a little on the small side so I really don’t think you need thigh braces on this boat.

Other will likley disagree, but I need to plug the Feathercraft rudder for this boat. You could also choose the SmartTrack rudder. But for simplicity, less drag, and a stronger more reliable design, the Feathercraft is a better choice. I think you might find you can cut about 3/4 of an inch of meat off the bottom of the Feathercraft rudder blade to get a better lateral balance and also reduce a little wetted surface drag as a bonus.

The new style hatches on the QCC’s do not leak. They are even air tight. QCC drills a very small hole in the middle of the bulkheads to equalize pressure in the compartments. The hatches do require a firm tug on the starp tabs to open. But once opened they offer a huge opening to load and unload larger items many other boats are not capable fo carrying.

What else? Oh yeah, pick any color combination you want. Where else you gonna get that?

wooden kayak
you wont be able to use it right away, but if you want a lighter kayak in the future and don’t mind a little work i reccomend pygmy boats kayak building kits http://www.pygmyboats.com/PRICELIS.HTM.

all the materials are provided and you just need somewhere to build, and some basic tools. people with no experience in woodworking have successfully built these kits. all my info is from articles and reviews, so i cannot give firsthand information on handling and performance, so you may want to do some research. but if you build the boat yourself they are a decent price, and as strong as a fiberglass boat but better looking. i do not own one currently but i plan to build one this winter. good luck with whatever your choice be and happy paddling.

Try the CD Cypress
At a demo last week I tried two new models of CD - the Cypress and the Oracle GTS and was very impressed with both boats. The Cypress is more maneuverable than the Oracle which in turn, is slightly more maneuverable than the Solstice GTS which it otherwise resembles. I’m 5’9" & a fit 188lbs.

Right now, the Cypress is at the top of my list, but we are a fickle lot and fall in love with boats easily. There are so many worthy temptations.

Oops, just saw the 60 pounds of gear…
While we are probably within 1/2" and 2 pounds of each other, I day paddle with very little extra weight & evaluated the Cypress with that in mind. Re-reading your post, perhaps something less “lively” than a Cypress would be better in your situation.

I would definitely try the CD Oracle GTS - its as stable as the Solstice GTS (which I think is a nice stable boat), 7" shorter at 17’, light and tracks well. And $800 to $900 less than FG.

Great time at Paddlefest
I looked at the WS Zephyr. They only had one poly there for display and not to paddle. It’s a nice boat, but heavy.

The 8 boats I paddled were;

Necky Chatham 17

WS Tempest 170

Current Designs Extreme

Current Designs Solstice

Eddyline Fathom

Swift Bering Sea

Swift Caspian Sea

Boreal Fjord

My favorites out of that group are the Eddyline Fathom and the Swift Bering Sea. I’m hoping to paddle a QCC soon. I’ll let you know how that goes, and thanks again for all your input, it was very helpful to have a starter list when I got there rather than having to wade through probably 200 models give or take a dozen.

Andy