Need help finding the right Yak

My 2 cents
Hello, you’re on the right track demoing. I’m a bigger guy too and also spend time in slow moving rivers, lakes and ocean when I can get there. I even picked up a Tarpon 160 for the same easy on/off in the river. It did ok with with a set of thigh straps but I ended up replacing it with a Dagger Stratos for the river and let the heavy Tarpon go. The Stratos is much more maneuverable, better in the rough and much lighter. It is not a great tracker though and you have to pay attention to track straight without some skeg. Worth a look if you get a chance. Also wanted to say make sure you get a ride in the Zephy 160 you mentioned above. At 250 you won’t have hardly any room waterline wise for gear but it is a very nice boat to paddle. Solid tracker, comfortable but not the fastest boat out there. I would say it’s faster than the Stratos but not as stable if I were looking to fish from it. Feel free to email me if you want to see waterline reference pics of the Zephyr. The Stratos can carry more waterline wise. I understand the frustration of only being able to find certain brands locally. Sometimes it’s worth the drive.

I’m
6-2 and 218 and without question recommend a 14-16 SOT. I’ve owned around 7 different and longer SOTs and my favorite is a Malibu X-13 for speed, glide, handling, and build quality. Second choice, but heavy as hell at 80lbs and Moe w rudder, is the Tarpon 16’. Has good glide, speed (about the same as X13), and comfort. A close third is OK Trident 13 or 15.Both outstanding kayaks and paddle very well. Test paddle and you will quickly have your answer

UPDATE
I now own a Perception Striker 11.5 (deal was too good to pass up) which I will use for leisurely paddles and fishing. I paddled a Perception Carolina two weekends ago and I generally liked it. At first I was a little wobbly and I could never quite get comfortable. But I think the seat was adjusted incorrectly, as I could not get my knees fully below the deck. At the Kayak shop, I sat in a WS Tsunami 145 (on the showroom floor) and it fit like a glove. I sat in it for about 10 mins and it was great, the Phase 3 AirPro Tour seat was very nice, and the dealer said the AirPro XP is pretty much the same except the back support was lower (so it doesn’t interfere with a skirt.) They have a 15’ tsunami available to try out on the water, but its an older model without the new seat. I can’t wait until i get a chance to take it out.