Need recommendation for PFD

stolhquist rocker
http://www.backcountry.com/stohlquist-rocker-personal-flotation-device?CMP_SKU=STO0049&MER=0406&skid=STO0049-MAN-SM&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&mr:trackingCode=EB3D4B66-B028-E111-87D9-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&gclid=CL6U8OCp2s4CFQwwaQodffkKrg&gclsrc=aw.ds

have lots of pfds (astral, extrasort, nrs, seda) but the rocker is the one I usually pick to take out, it’s weird to put on, only covers part of my beer gut, has limited pockets but I’m happy in it. It’s like a part of me.

in the winter I take out my nrs big water guide jacket- its like wearing a winter coat and floats me high if I do end up swimming in frigid water, just more cumbersome to move in so it’s a trade off

I’ve got some commercial grade rafting vests with head flaps that I usually give to beginners, wife likes the astral jacket I got her- cut well for a woman

I put on my rocker on and I’m good to go: canoeing, kayaking, rafting, or in a ducky so I’m not getting this whole thing about seat backs- I tend to slouch a lot but that ain’t a good thing in my book!

used to kayak in a “high float” and push the bottom of the vest up so it wouldn’t rub on the skirt and cockpit rim so much. That worked to.

With any jacket you should jump in the water every now and then and make sure it still floats you well. they do degrade over time. I need to do that again before the water gets cold since thus far I’ve had a dry hair season.

Think I got it!
I had never seen a pdf with the half foam high on the back with nothing low back before 2 weeks ago. I also didn’t know anything about different kayaks! To me it seems like it’s made to go above a seat back so that your back is in full contact with the back of the seat.

Hoping to go out with some folks tonight and again tomorrow morning leaving fro two different shop/rentals so by this time tomorrow I should have a better handle on this. Both times will have a loaner from two different sources.

Jack
You feeling ok? Wearing a PFD? Next thing you know you’ll be using tie downs… Hope all is well

Shhhh !
You’ll ruin my reputation

Jack L

Check Out West Marine Labor Day Sale
They got all kinds of PFDs reduced in price, from all sort of inflatables imaginable to various varieties of “life jackets.” I think I’ll drive down and check out their “Dynamic Move Life Jackets” for $29.95? Anyone use them?

Last comment
I still have to actually do this to know for sure, but are you saying that the Ronny will be ABOVE the seat back on my Carolina (which is higher than a simple back band)?

maybe, maybe not
I guess I’m still not making the point. The V8 is the only vest I know of that would always have all the back flotation be above a standard kayak seat (I know a few other makers have models like that, but they are rarer than full foam backs). The Ronny has fairly thin foam along a full back so it is likely it would end up being between your back and and at least part of the seat back. The foam in the Ronny MIGHT clear the seat back IF you had a low back band and were very long in the upper body. Like most PFD’s, the back flotation goes down to the wearer’s waist on most people. In fact, that is how most kayakers’ PFD’s fit.

Really, this makes SO little difference in use that I would not worry about it at all in selecting a style. As I’ve told you, I wear either type with any of my boats. The shorter foam in the V8 just makes it cooler on hot days.

Astral V-8, new design
I’ve had an Astral V-8 for several years. I like it, and the one time I flipped my kayak, I was very glad I had it on. But most of the time I’ve been wearing an inflatable, because the back piece of the V-8 had an annoying tendency to ride up, and even though it was cut high, it still hit the back of the seat in my Skimmer 128.

Astral has redesigned the V-8, and I tried my new one this week. The back piece is smaller and higher, and the PFD is more comfortable. Just about perfect now, at least for me. I used it while paddling the Suwannee (where I would not use an inflatable) and pretty much forgot I had it on.

good short video on vest selection
A recently mounted website on kayaking safety has a nice little video on PFD selection that covers all the bases in 6 minutes:

http://www.paddlesafely.com/photovideo-gallery/

Thanks!
Thank you. I think my Carolina has a similar seat as that one in the end of the video.

stohlquist coaster
Just got my kayak today and tried on diffent pfd’s and this one really fit well. Thin back all the way down so no riding up on you. Low cut neck and pockets if needed. I did not pay this price, but close to 100 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Stohlquist-Coaster-PFD-Mens/dp/B013XSOEYS

So I went kayaking
with some members of the Long Island Paddlers and a couple of guys brought some pfd’s that I could borrow for the day. One guy brought a few for me to try and said I could buy one if I liked.

So I am buying this one from him

http://www.harmonygear.com/products/6129/Harmony-AF-65-Life-Jacket-PFD-Closeout.html

for $40. It seems discontinued and went for $89. This one looks brand new. I like the way it fits! I like the taper in the frontas my arms don’t come near touching it.

Thanks for all the help from here!!!

Just noticed in the review
that it states it is a “female” pfd!

all good but a range
The Trekker has more storage, but personally I like the other Stohlquist. Not a bad price either. All of those are good PFDs.

If it fits and works for you…
the water doesn’t care what sex is listed on the label… :wink:

For years my PFD of choice was the Kokatat MsFit (designed for women).

I have since changed to Astral designs that are better ventilated and weigh much less (for the heat of Florida).

Greg Stamer

no, it’s unisex
Read Harmony’s specs – it is designed to fit BOTH men and women. Though what Greg says is true, even many vests designed specifically with women in mind fit a lot of men better than the “standard” unisex styles. The main difference is that the foam is segmented in the chest so that it can curve rather than smash in that area, also they tend to be cut a little trimmer in the front to adapt to a shorter torso and narrower shoulders, which a lot of guys like because, as you found yourself, that interferes less with arm movement.

Appears to be a nicely designed vest for a good price – I think you’ve find the one for you.

There were others
I liked but better right now to keep down the costs a bit (as I found out I need a bilge pump, paddle float and a few other things.

The pfd didn’t say female on it (I don’t think! I have to meet up with this guy to get it). In the “detailed description” on the website it said that.

Anyway, it fits good and the price was right.

Just a fyi. Didn’t like the from of the Ronny. Pretty thick and felt pieced together with the foam. Didn’t like the V-8. Probably the lightest but felt that extra piece in the back facing the body was a thorn between my shoulder blades. Was actually looking if that could easily come out. Liked the fit and durable looking material of the Trekker. Was probably leaning towards that but now figuring that once I get used to the “cut” of this Harmony that it will be hard to go to a fuller cut in the future.

Thanks again for so many good suggestions!

Not to change the subject, but…
when you get the bilge pump, don’t get the one with the small discharge.

Get a Harmony or equal with a large discharge that discharges on both the push and pull.

It will empty a yak in half the time that the el cheapo will.

Jack L

HE HEH HEH…
You two crack me up.

Does Paris have the long- or short-length back?

Whatever, just

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

specs
Actually, this is a cut and paste of the specs for the Harmony:

“An innovative closure unites a series of segmented foam panels to provide a comfortable fit for both men and women.”

Still don’t see where you get that this is a female-specific PFD.