Need some tent help

Johnnysmoke is correct, you must have
seen a Sierra Designs Alpha 3. We have the Sierra Designs Omega 2 with similar zip-back-and-fold panels to shut the screens the Alpha 3 adds floor space and a back door.

I have seen reports of leaking problems with Alpha 3s, especially at the back around the door. These problems might be related to wicking, and to using SeamGrip sealant when the tent is not properly pitched. If you should choose to get an Alpha 3, pitch it properly taut on a warm, dry day, and then use Seamgrip on all seams around the back of the fly and around the door. Also treat the base pull-outs of the tent. The reason for treating all vulnerable seams while the tent is pitched is that, once it sets, Seamgrip is quite flexible and can relax, but if you apply it to seams and pull-outs not under typical tension, the Seamgrip may get breached when you pitch the tent.

We have liked our Omega 2. Closing those panels really helped in cold weather. By the way, Sierras thing about omitting pole segments in mild weather is unwise. It does not save much weight and it leaves the tents more wind-vulnerable.

bomber tent
Mr. Smoke you just described my Exped Sirus Extreme tent. Sadly I don’t think they make it any more. It’s 2-3 person, vestibule is big enough for most folks to change in or cook in and you can take down the body and leave the fly pitched, which is great in the rain. The fly/body feature seems to be a European style feature, I guess US manufacturers think if it’s raining we should just stay home.