Need Suggestions For Kayak PFD

Bad advise! WEAR IT!!!
Here in NC, more than 1/2 of the paddling fatalities in the last year were on calm water when someone was not wearing their PFD. ALWAYS wear your PFD! No matter what type.

Not the cheapest, but most comfortable
The Astral Bella is the trump card for a comfortable, low profile, women’s specific PFD that moves with you. In the outfitters shop I work at, this vest is chosen about 90% of the time by women that try it. Try one on and nothing else will compare to it. Retails for $156.95. You get what you pay for sometimes.

http://www.astralbuoyancy.com/products/women/bella/index.html

I wear the men’s rescue version of this PFD myself; the Greenjacket.

i would go high end
after all its a important piece of personal safety equipment. they are not THAT expensive.

i now use a kokatat guide vest. I like to be able to open it in front…its great. works very well for rolls, and is comfortable…

price
Prices are high because of two things. One is most paddling pfds are much more complicated build wise than the cheap pfd’s that the big box stores sell, secondly there is a much smaller market, so it’s economy of scale.

As per usual, you get what you pay for.

Bill H.

Ok, next time I walk through
a puddle, I’ll think about it

Will that keep you happy ?

Jack L

Bored, Jack? NM

Torso Length is Important
For women especially, it’s important to have the right torso length. I’m 5’4" and short-waisted, and most PFDs are too long for me. I really have to try them on to be able to tell.

The reason paddling PFDs are more expensive is that they’re designed to be worn all the time you’re paddling, not just in emergency situations. Fit and comfort are really important when you consider you take about 600 strokes per nautical mile. So paddling PFDs are much more technical, and thus more expensive. And they are worth every penny. Don’t skimp!

If you need bust accomodation, you’ll pay more for a woman-specific PFD, but it’ll be worth it. The MTI Diva has inserts for different cup sizes. Email me and I’ll give you more specifics.

No, but as I read his response to my
post I couldn’t help think about the race I just came back from where there were approximately 40 paddlers, most of which were much more experienced than the ones here who are constantly screaming that you must “always” where your PFD.

Some of these paddlers who raced compete in the USCA Nationals, (where if the conditions allow it, PFD’s are not mandated to be worn)

I think out of all the paddlers, I saw two that had on PFD’s.

The river was the lowest I have ever seen it, and for a good part of it, you could get out of your boat and walk if you wanted to.

I wonder what each of those paddlers would have said to the poster above, if he walked up to them prior to the race and said “Always wear your PFD” ?

My original post was in answer to the OP’s question and when I read in part of the OP’s post that they knew how to swim and would not be going in rough water, and were concerned about the high cost of a high end PFD, I answered accordingly.

Had they said they were a weak swimmer, and would be paddling in open water I would probably have been one of the first ones answering suggesting some good PFD’s to get and wear

jack L

Irresponsible to advise not wearing pfd!
http://www.safeboatingcampaign.com/2008-statistics.pdf

Out of 510 boating related drowning deaths in 2008, 459 were not wearing a PFD! That’s 90%.

Take your own life in your hands any way you like, but it is irresponsible to tell someone to keep their pfd on the back deck, no matter what their swimming ability or how calm the water is. Water conditions change, and unconscious people can’t swim. The most recent drowning that I am aware of in NC was on Oak Hollow Lake on a warm, calm day. Canoe flipped, paddler drowned, no PFD.

I’m not trying to pick a fight, but telling someone that wearing their vest is optional is bad advise. I assure you I have experience and training in several paddling disciplines. As far as questioning my experience and abilities: I am an ACA Certified Level III Coastal Kayaking Instructor and Trip Leader, a class V whitewater paddler, former competitive swimmer (3rd in NC for 100 Butterfly), trained in Advanced Swift Water Rescue, and Wilderness 1st Aid certified. And yes, I wear mine while crossing a puddle.

Bully for you !
I’ll advise common sense, and if you don’t like it that’s your problem.

ACA makes PFD’s mandatory, USCA makes them optional as far as wearing them.

The ACA likes it’s members to be sheep while the USCA allows them to think for themselves.

I gave up my ACA membership several years ago just for that reason, and they must be hardup for members, since I keep getting their magazine.

And as far as questioning your abilities, I didn’t question them but since you want to brag about them, I can say that you don’t impress me one bit.

I once watched a group taking their ACA instructors class, and made up my mind right there that they were a sorry bunch, when one guy had to have his kayak held, while he got into it.

As soon as I hear a braggard like you, I automatically make up my mind that I would never want to paddle with you.

jack L

astral buoyancy
Eric, I was intrigued by your statement about the bella, I have a 5 year old wonderjacket and was looking for something different. I am leary of pfds that don’t zip up the front. they seem hrder to get into/out of and to be more popular for white water, rather than kayak touring. what do your lady customers think of the wonderjacket vs the bella?

Julie E

Hate to butt in on the hijack but…
Wouldn’t “common sense” say wear a PFD even if you don’t think you’ll need it?

It would seem that those situations that your most comfortable in would be the ones where you would most likely be taken by surprise in the event of a capsize.

Just seems silly to risk your life over something as trivial as wearing a PFD…

Some more common sense:
You evidently don’t race.

Get in a twenty mile race in the middle of the summer in the south when the temperature is in the mid ninties or higher and the humidity is way up there, and a PFD can be a killer and can cause heat stroke.

Common sense tells me when to wear it and when not to, but unfortunately every time I mention it here I am taken to task for it.

And I’ll repeat as I have for the past ten plus years on this forum: In my estimation it is absolutely stupid, (for me) to wear it in a place where I can get out of my boat and stand up.

If you want to wear it round the clock and even to bed that is fine with me, but if you respond to my posts, I’ll fire back every time.

Jack L

Bella review and WJ comparison
This is a long one…

The Bella (and similarly the men’s Willis, and the rescue version Greenjacket) is very low profile in design. The chest panel is on a separate plate from the part that cinches to your waist. The chest panel is attached to the waist by a movable plate, allowing for greater range of motion; the chest panel moves with your torso rotation while the waist is held in place. Another result of the separate chest panel is that it allows this plate to angle back towards the body so it is very low profile, especially at the neck. The low profile has a couple of advantages above comfort alone; if you are rolling a kayak it allows you to tuck tighter to the deck. If you are pulling yourself back up on a surface, such as re-entering a capsized kayak, this offers a low profile surface that makes this motion easier (you don’t have to work around a bulky front that can reject you from pulling yourself up on the boat). The other design feature related to the movable chest panel that is very different from other PFD’s is the shoulder strap adjustments; there aren’t any. The shoulder straps are static and the adjustment points have been moved to the bottom of the chest panel. This allows the entire torso length to be adjusted. The torso plate can be drawn down and in to the paddler for a better form fit. There are no straps hanging over your shoulders to get in your way as well.

Comparing the Wonderjacket and Bella from the women’s specific standpoint: The WJ is shaped on the inside to accommodate a woman’s shape, while the Bella has a fully adjustable sports bra controlled by two pull cords for more or less support. I know women who feel comfortable wearing the Bella bare back without risking exposure. I’m sure these opinions are highly personal. Nonetheless, all of the women that have chosen this vest have felt the fit to be above and beyond other choices.

As far as ease of entry without a front zipper: The Bella and Willis both have three Fastec buckles for side entry as opposed to a front zipper. It takes a use or two to get used to somewhat blindly finding the buckles, but after that you will instinctively grab for the right buckle for the right strap. I like having the side entry myself, because it makes the front “cleaner” with fewer snag points; even the pockets are hidden behind the chest panel. Also, food for thought, I like the Fastec buckles better than a zipper because in the event of a failure, Fastec buckles are easy to find and replace than a failed zipper.

The Bella works for touring paddlers as well as whitewater. This model is very popular with WW paddlers for the reasons I mentioned: low profile, increased range of motion, ability to tuck tighter to the deck for rolling, fewer exposed snag points, and the fit. All these points are advantageous to most touring and recreational paddlers as well. Also, I really like how the low profile design aids in reentry.

Sorry for the long winded response. I hope it clears up a few things. The Bella, Willis, and Greenjacket are a total departure from other PFD designs I have seen up to this point. When these PFD’s came out I was using an Astral Aquavest 300, which is a very comfortable design. I demoed a Greenjacket, and found it so comfortable and practical that I immediately sold my old rescue vest to buy one. Try one on if you can. Only you can truly say how it fits you.

Maybe thats the problem
You “fire back” when asked a simple question.

I’m not suggesting you to wear your PFD all the time. You seem to be an experienced paddler and well aware of your limits. I may think you going out with your PFD stowed is not the wisest choice but who am I to tell you what to do? The only time I try to tell someone they have to wear a PFD is if they want me to go out with them.

There’s always situations that is seems overkill. Some blackwater creek with less than an arms length between your rear and the bottom of the water. Water you can stand in. A race that has spectators,rescue crews, and officials scattered over the course. Whatever, and as you point out you use common sense to judge the conditions against your skill and make the call to wear it or stow it.

But to ever suggest someone else not wear one seems irresponsible.

I’m sure all you’ll read from that is me calling you irresponsible and saying that I wont paddle with you so reload and “fire back” at will.

You just might want to reread my first
post here to the OP.

I have never on any post I have put on P-net advised against wearing a PFD.

The OP stated that they were a good swimmer, and paddled in calm water, and my reply was “why not just put in on your rear deck”

One of the things I notice here on P-net, is the fact that people love to rearrange others posts to suit their argumentation.

On the races, I need to pick you up on the fact that many of them are in complete wilderness with out any “spectators, officials and rescue crews”.

Jack L

I often don’t wear mine, either
Depends where, when, what the paddling is. In certain places I almost never wear it. In others, I always wear it.

Here we go again!

MTI Orleans - $19.80
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3572,96347_MTI-Adventurewear-Orleans-Life-Vest-Type-III-PFD-For-Men-and-Women.html

I’ve been using one for about three years and am quite satisfied with it for single blade and double blade paddling. My wife is also satisfied with hers, though she only paddles maybe 10 times a year and isn’t very vigorous in her efforts.

I paid $60 for mine and it was worth it.