Never mind

You are lucky that the anglers use fishing kayaks and not sea kayaks. When they get themselves killed, you can at least point to the kayak and say: “That was not a sea kayaker.”

Where I live, hunters buy sea kayaks and get themselves killed, usually because of cold water. I think hunters make up more than 50% of the casualties in sea kayaks. And when it hits the media, there are usually photos of their sea kayak, which has been found somewhere.

I wish those incidents would be considered hunting accidents, instead of kayaking accidents.

@Allan Olesen said:
You are lucky that the anglers use fishing kayaks and not sea kayaks. When they get themselves killed, you can at least point to the kayak and say: “That was not a sea kayaker.”

Where I live, hunters buy sea kayaks and get themselves killed, usually because of cold water. I think hunters make up more than 50% of the casualties in sea kayaks. And when it hits the media, there are usually photos of their sea kayak, which has been found somewhere.

I wish those incidents would be considered hunting accidents, instead of kayaking accidents.

Really pisses me off to see a growing group of fishermen out there with fishing rods on long SUP boards. Telling ya, just casualties waiting to happen. When it does, I can’t wait to say, “Just another stupid surfer risking his life on a surf board.” LOL!

sing

@Allan Olesen said:

That was more or less my point that these floating platforms are great for fishing, a wonderful watercraft but they are NOT kayaks, and should not be referred to as kayaks and the media misrepresents them. Any fisherman who uses one is taking great advantage of a handy utility watercraft but they are NOT kayakers - this isn’t a snob issue, it’s a water safety issue that too often compares their fishing “kayak” to an actual kayak -each with their own and separate idiosyncrasies. Bottom line is to be safe, and don’t overestimate your safety and security in your “kayak”.

@grayhawk said:
The british call them canoes… but if you call it a kayak then it’s a kayak…
What matters is that you’re out there having fun…

Yes, that’s a fair comparison. But the fact remains, you really shouldn’t compare instruction or operation of the two (fishing “kayaks” with actual kayaks) because they are significantly different in many ways. And you are right, what matters is safety first and then fun!

@grayhawk said:
If it’s not a skin on frame… It’s not a true kayak…
Originally all kayaks were fishing/hunting kayaks.

Not quite, it’s the design, not the material that defines the boat. A plane with either canvas or aluminum wings is still a plane. But yes, early kayaks were a tool for subsistence, a method to hunt/fish and transport families. All shared the same basic shape: a covered deck, paddled (with both double AND single blades) and were certainly nothing even close to a fishing “kayak” today.

@Sparky961 said:
I’ve met plenty of sea kayakers who weren’t. Hell, I’m fairly sure I started out as one. :wink:

I don’t think it’s fair to go for the low hanging fruit here.

I think perhaps it is you who is picking from the wrong tree. Of course there are paddlers of different experience levels. As I am sure there are fishing platform PEDALers who aren’t all the same. The point is that whether you are good or not, whether you are a beginner or seasoned blue water adventurer, if you are pedaling a fishing platform around, it’s a different watercraft from a “kayak”. But good discussion points all around, reflects the loyalty and awareness we all seem to have for our personal paddling/pedaling passions.

@string said:

@kayamedic said:
Who cares? Try an outrigger canoe for speed. Just cause it has that thing on it does not make the paddler less of a paddler. Chances are he will leave you at the start line
And have you seen how fast some of these fishing kayaks go?

Depends on the motor.

I agree, if speed is your big thing, go for it. Pedal away to your heart’s content.

@string said:
Then there are the kayakers who drown every year in rental rec boats. Kayaking is an activity, not a profession.

News of a drowning is always tragic, and at that point calling the craft by the wrong name is rather moot. However, from a safety standpoint, misrepresenting watercraft gives a false impression on it’s safety and more importantly, the aspects of safety one should follow to be in one in the first place. The misconception that sprayskirts are entrapping or that fishing “kayaks” are inherently safe are common, repeated examples that appear in the media and on websites…and the water doesn’t care if you are a professional or just out there for an activity or what boat you are in, or what you call it…safety is safety.

@Peter-CA said:
Not sure why it matters? Are we trying to move the people we think are less safe to be a different category from us “safe” kayakers?

The misconceptions and perceptions are already there,…put a double bladed paddle in a floating bath tub and you can call it a kayak and yourself a kayaker. It only matters that we represent each water craft within the scope of what it actually is and how it functions on the water. The “fishing kayak” to me is a misnomer, it’s not a kayak, it’s not a canoe, it’s a SOT fishing platform. And, if you truly think about it, there is no such thing as a “safe” kayaker, only those at different levels of risk taking, skill levels and self reliance. A truly SAFE paddler can only assure his/her safety if they never take the boat away from shore…

So there are no safe drivers either by your criteria. Risk is inherent in everything we do. I have stayed off this thread because I care not what a boat is called or how it is paddled. Just paddle on whatever you care to call it. Kayaks are often called canoes in the U.K.!

@castoff said:
So there are no safe drivers either by your criteria. Risk is inherent in everything we do. I have stayed off this thread because I care not what a boat is called or how it is paddled. Just paddle on whatever you care to call it. Kayaks are often called canoes in the U.K.!
Indeed, and unless you are involved in the kayaking media, promoting safety, technique, style, etc. to an audience of traditional kayakers who actually use paddles for propulsion, it probably doesn’t really matter to most. My points are merely that these are two distinct watercraft, not to be interchanged in discussions. It’s about what calling the craft and its operator implies, not what it’s called per se. I think it’s time to move on,…

The American Canoe Association (ACA) isn’t bothered that some folks use kayaks for fishing. To the contrary, it’s developing skills courses for both river kayak fishing and coastal kayak fishing and certified instructors can earn a river kayak fishing endorsement.

The coastal kayak fishing endorsement for instructors is being developed.

They also offer 11 videos related to kayak fishing:
https://www.americancanoe.org/page/Ed_videos

This hair , or is it hare, has been thoroughly split.
When I complement a paddler or fisherman on their craft I say “nice boat”. Haven’t had one say anything but “Thank you!”.

@Wavetamer

Why does it matter to you? What’s your stake in this?

@Rookie said:
“…to the contrary, it’s developing skills courses for both river kayak fishing and coastal kayak fishing and…”

Flyfishing from sea yak.
There’s a whole new sensation!
Ten o’clock, two o’clock.
Hully cows act out migration!

Now when your put into the cast,
let’s hope you come to learn your roll,
though I suppose there’ll be a line,
that sinks the set in fishing hole.

A fly on the thread observes the line cast with a bonefish to pick about fishing kayakers not being in the same boat while others wade in on the topic.

Sounds like castoff has been hanging out with CWDH.

Being a dumb canoe person I looked up kayak and canoe on Wikipedia.

Apparently kayak means “man’s boat” or “hunting boat” and includes open boats paddled with single blade while canoe means “dugout”.

So I’m guessing wavetamer thinks fishing isn’t hunting or else the paddlers in his videos were female so have no category at all.

But I feel extra dumb since my apparently my canoes are really kayaks. I’m one of THEM!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayak

@castoff said:
A fly on the thread observes the line cast with a bonefish to pick about fishing kayakers not being in the same boat while others wade in on the topic.

That’s almost haiku.

I don’t think anyone’s going to be pissed off, unless a gentle smirk is considered being pissed. It’s kind of like the look a guy on a Harley makes when the guy on the Vespa pulls up alongside! SERIOUSLY, it really doesn’t matter, enjoy the water, be safe - that’s what counts!)> @sing said:

@Peter-CA said:
Not sure why it matters? Are we trying to move the people we think are less safe to be a different category from us “safe” kayakers?

Ditto that. I am picking up one of those real fishing kayaks - a Hobie - this weekend. Can’t wait to get out there to piss the real kayakers off. LOL!

sing

@sing said:

@Allan Olesen said:

Really pisses me off to see a growing group of fishermen out there with fishing rods on long SUP boards. Telling ya, just casualties waiting to happen. When it does, I can’t wait to say, “Just another stupid surfer risking his life on a surf board.” LOL!

sing
This is kind of to my point as well. When a fishing platform gets in trouble it should be a boating error, not a generic “kayak” error as reported in the papers, especially when you read what happened, Stupid errors in a craft that shouldn’t have been doing what the “paddler” was trying to do…and what most kayakers would not have done if they took the sport seriously. Still it’s sad to see anyone hurt or worse when out paddling OR pedaling their boat.
@Rookie said:
The American Canoe Association (ACA) isn’t bothered that some folks use kayaks for fishing. To the contrary, it’s developing skills courses for both river kayak fishing and coastal kayak fishing and certified instructors can earn a river kayak fishing endorsement.

The coastal kayak fishing endorsement for instructors is being developed.

They also offer 11 videos related to kayak fishing:
https://www.americancanoe.org/page/Ed_videos

Kayakers have been fishing out of kayaks for thousands of years, There are kayakers who fish and there are fishermen who kayak, Most of the fishing “kayakers” have never paddled an actual kayak, yet the media and many websites throw the term around like they are all paddling kayakers, it’s misleading and for some of us who promote safety and skills for sea kayakers find the loose terminology counter productive in introducing and sharing safety. Paddle what you want, call it what you will, consider yourself whatever you want, just be safe and have fun.