New blow-up kayak, beginning paddler, Seattle

Santa Barbara is pretty hard to beat…

1 Like

Oh, wowwww…
but hey guess where I was today!

Looks great! I’m not quite remembering where that is though. Did you paddle?

Mercer Slough! :hugs: I didnt go in there, but I hung out and had a snack and talked to some folks coming and going… I think it will be the perfect quiet meditation… perfect!
Thanks again for the great secret-hideaway tip…
(I did a little scouting on Arboretum - couldnt park within a 1/2 mile… and then had my maiden voyage on Lake Tapps, which was pretty as long as I kept my gaze a level above all the ghastly enormous mansions plopped down all along every shore… Good for a first outing, though… water very shallow and warm near where I was, so no need for any suiting-up…)

The inside end of Gig Harbor should be ok, it’s very protected and lots of SUPs. Go down by the boat ramp and head inland along the shore. Also there are a lot of people and small boats around. Make it a habit to know if the tide is coming in or going out, which way is the wind, etc.

Have another person, tether your phone, flotation etc

The sloughs should be fine. Be careful on Lake Washington. I would avoid any exposed salt water because of the chances getting blown around.

1 Like

RE Lake Washington

I got to experience conditions on a big open lake last year, one I did not fully appreciate. Luckily I chose onshore wind because I got to climb a tree to avoid a wet exit after finding out the paddling was futile.
Big lakes are so seductive.

An inflatable boat is like a sail.

I’d never dip my toe in Lake Konstanz again without a drysuit and second paddler.:kissing_smiling_eyes:

Puget Sound is 55 degrees in summer. Wear a wetsuit.

The link that porkrind provided on Lake Washington water temp is a good one. Here is another link and it’s the one that I use.

It also shows temperature for Lake Sammamish which does run a degree or three higher during the Summer. If you dig into the historical data you will see that Lake Washington’s water temps are below 60 degrees at least 7 months out of the year and in the 40’s about 5 months. Br-r-r-r-r.

I grew up in Montlake and paddled all manner of watercraft (sound and unsound) in and around the lake for decades. I have drug hypothermic canoe-renters requiring hospitalization to shore on 75 degree days (near the Arboretum) , lost two friends to Fall/Winter drownings (Portage Bay and Union Bay) and literally bumped into a floater off Foster Island. Be informed and make sound decisions. Try swimming in the wetsuit to see if it will actually keep you warm.

The lake level is drawn down starting in August and makes some paddling venues and launches aren’t viable or at their best. The lake will remain low until March/April when reservoirs holding snow runoff are released into the lake. The Seattle area has fabulous paddling year-round. Prepare and choose wisely.