New Kayak MSRP & Profit Margin

@Rookie said:
Super they matched the sale price. Hope you post a picture of your new ride.

(Turn your volume down before clicking!)

https://youtu.be/3mbTHNxuwI0

Personally the big box stores don’t have the boats or service I desire. I recently called the Valley dealer, (4 hr. drive) and had them send me some hatch covers. No measuring, no big discussions they knew what I needed and took care of it. Parts arrived before the big paddle.

@Sparky961 said:

@Rookie said:
Super they matched the sale price. Hope you post a picture of your new ride.

(Turn your volume down before clicking!)

Sweet.

Back to the original question - adding to the excellent insight @willowleaf provided.

The margins between what the dealer pays and what they sell at are often in the 30-40% range for boats. Some dealers with larger buying volume get slightly better than this, but small local dealers are usually in this range.

Adjusting from this, dealers usually pay for freight. Buying larger volumes can mean getting a dedicated container, which brings freight prince per boat down considerably. Sometimes large buys or preseason orders get free freight. Freight prices vary by where you are shipping, and could be considerable to Canada. For Confluence, single boats shipped in US generally run over $100, with price increasing the further you are from their South Carolina location. $134 to California for single boat, which is 10% of a Stratos MSRP.

I think that Confluence raised the MSRP price of their Stratos by US$50 for 2018. Perhaps the lower price place is selling an older model, where the higher is selling 2018? I am not aware of any significant changes between 2017 and 2018, so for the user the 2017 should be just fine.

We have one dealer near here that low balls sales price on kayaks, and often (unethically) sells blems which they buy at a discount without telling customer it was a blem. Quite true that blems that are sold work just fine as kayaks, but should be stated that they are selling a blem not first quality.

When you buy with a credit card, the dealer is hit with about a 3% charge (they are paying for that credit card rebate/points you are getting). With margins as small as what kayaks have, every percentage point matters. If you do really negotiate down a super low price with the dealer, perhaps consider paying cash or check.

Protection of a CC is worth it sometimes. I use debit not sure how they get charged for it. Some gas stations charge same as cash when it’s debit. Some do same price for either like Speedway here in NY.

@Peter-CA said:
If you do really negotiate down a super low price with the dealer, perhaps consider paying cash or check.

Seems highly unlikely they’ll knock another 3% off if I pay with cash. It was recently driven into my head that we all pay for these “rewards” now regardless of how we pay. There are a small number of businesses left that offer a cash discount, but most just build it into the price.

So, you might as well use credit and get the rewards.

@Sparky961 said:
Seems highly unlikely they’ll knock another 3% off if I pay with cash. It was recently driven into my head that we all pay for these “rewards” now regardless of how we pay. There are a small number of businesses left that offer a cash discount, but most just build it into the price.

I was more thinking the other way - if you have negotiated such a big discount that they are not making any money, that you could lessen the blow to them by paying cash or check. You give up your 1% rebate in order to save them 3%.

I had invested in a bicycle shop (and was an advisor for it, so have some inside knowledge on how the sports industry works) a while back, so have a feel of what small businesses go through. Guess this has made it so that my mind set is no longer looking for the absolute best deal for myself, but also consider what would help keep the small businesses that matter to me in business. Doesn’t mean I always pay MSRP, but I don’t push for the best possible deal. Things like giving up my 1% rebate to save them the 3% is something I would do.

To answer the op I have no idea what the mark up is on a new kayak. I seem to specialize in buying used, or blems, or from a gear shop where I have connections. Sometimes its over the internet,- NRS, REI, Sierra Trading Post, The Clymb have all been utilized by me. I expect to pay full retail if I’m outside of my home turf and going into a retail shop. Often I’m going in for the local beta as much as needing to purchase something. I usually do buy something though- like a cam strap or other accessory. At home, I’m a known entity- meaning I help with beginner clinics and such. So I’m usually treated pretty well by the local outfitter.