New Kayak, Need Advice

Buy the Eliza if it fits and performs to

– Last Updated: Nov-23-10 12:12 AM EST –

your liking. Don't fret about the name. IIRC, I had problems scraping my shins getting into the composite Eliza cockpit, the one time I tried a dry fit, so I took it off my list. I'm 5'6" and about 160.

Edit: Check out an Eddyline Nighthawk 16, if you find a used one at a good price before you've bought another boat. At 50 lbs, it's lighter than most of the similar sized plastic boats. It's somewhat of a snug fit and can be a little tricky getting into it in waves, relative to flatter bottomed boats, but it cruises along at moderate pace pretty easily. I have no idea how it would be for camping, since I only day trip with light loads.

Have you
Paddled any of these boats? Without actually paddling any of these boats all your doing is speculating as to which one would be the best. I would buy a used boat that way if it does work not for you just flip it and then you probably do not loose any thing.

take a class
Take a kayak paddling class. Once you get a couple of hours of instruction, then test paddle. All else being equal, the kayak that “fits” you will be the one you paddle. If you don’t have much experience, the truth is you will buy a different kayak after your skills improve. Three most important things when looking for a new (to you) kayak, test paddle, test paddle, and, oh yeah, test paddle. Good luck, John

Comment on Eliza etc

– Last Updated: Nov-23-10 10:37 AM EST –

First, all that being a woman's boat means is that the overall volume and cockpit fit are better suited to smaller people. Since the average paddler that manufacturers talk about is a guy 2 to 3 inches taller than you and 20 to 30 pounds heavier, there's no reason for you to worry about that part. It well may fit you better than many you are looking at.

In an ideal situation, IMO you are still way too much all over the place to make a good decision about a higher performance boat than the Pungo, unless you can find a super cheap used deal that's money you wouldn't regret. Look around for pool sessions over the winter - depending on where you are in PA there may be some good options - and learn how to brace, edge and start towards a roll, also self-rescues in skinny sea kayaks if you can. That'll be much more help in pointing you at a boat than running around to dealers with your present knowledge about how some of these sea kayaks feel and work.

That all said, $200 plus your Pungo strikes me as one of those super-cheap deals... if you decide to sell it used in the spring, I gotta think you can get a hundred or more than that for it.

Point of view from a 3 year rookie…
My first sea kayak was the Chatham 16. Nice. Great boat. Since them, I have gone on a buying/testing spree and have some opinions. I am 5’8", 170 pounds. I also own a Romany 16 and a Nordkapp 18 and recently added a Cetus LV. I have paddled and tried both WS Tempest 165 on glass and plastic. I prefer the WS Tempest 165 over the Chatham 16. It’s faster and rolls better and can do anything the Chatham can. The Chatham feels a little bigger and perhaps more space. If the Scorpio is anything like the WS Tempest 165 or the Cetus LV, it would be a great deal. I have one good friend that loves her Scorpio.

girl boats
Hi Carl,

LOL, one of my favorite boats is the CD Rumour, but I’m about 50 lbs. too heavy for it. Still it’s a blast to paddle. Just cause it’s normally a “girl boat” doesn’t matter in the least.

Bill H.

Eliza is a great boat!
I had a chance to paddle a composite Eliza a couple weeks ago, as well as use it for roll practice in a pool and it was pretty sweet! I’m 5’8, 175lbs and had no problem fitting in it. The lady that owns it says every guy she’s let try the Eliza has come away impressed with the handling if not the fit (for the larger guys). I’m thinking about adding one to my growing collection… for any future lady in my life, of course (ahem). :wink:

update!

After much thought, reading and looking around since I first made this post I bought one two days ago.

I ended up buying a P&H Scorpio. I tried the LV first but it was too tight. My legs were straight and the braces were pushing down hard making it uncomfortable. I hoped into a Scorpio and my legs were slightly bent and much more comfortable. After taking it home I fine tuned the seat and braces and now it fits like a glove.

I also bought a new Werner paddle, stohlquest rocker PDF and a neoprene skirt.