New kayaker-first boat bought

I made a similar mistake
about 25 years ago. I was an avid open boater (still am) but I wanted to get into closed boating. I went out and bought a C-1. Big mistake. I was 40 years old and it killed my knees after a day of paddling. It was all I could do to stay up right. I quit after a year or two. Two or three years ago I got the urge again. This time I got a sea kayak - WS Zephyr. This boat is very comfortable and fun to paddle. No problems staying upright whatsoever. Just plain fun. My skill have developed a good deal and I suppose someday I might buy more of a performance kayak but frankly I doubt it at my age. Do yourself a favor. Get a different boat.

wetsuit
I completely agree with thermal protection and have a wetsuit: 3mm/2mm

email
I did email Sisson, and Grahame respectfully responded to me and and in deed stated I am large for the boat. I appreciate the concern, and will happily report my progress in the coming weeks, slowly until water gets warmer. Be it success or failure.

agree
I appreciate the link of the kayaker and it is sobering indeed. When my skill progresses enough (with this or some other kayak) I will want a radio and other gear for protection/communication. I have deep respect for the ocean and have been awed and humbled enough times to keep the boyscout motto “be prepared” on the forefront of my mind at all times.

GP

The greenland paddle has piqued my interest, it would be a fun winter project next year, I want to learn more about the principles behind the design.

This weekend I will practice self recovery, I have ordered a paddle float and will use my fluid pump as a bilge.

wrong boat
Sure I went out looking for a comfortable Sea Kayak that I could pack with some gear from time to time and tour with. I realize now thanks to the replies and information pointing that this boat is not that. But I think it provides an exciting challenge, to learn a new skill and provide me an impact free cardio outlet. I went out again and practiced balance in the shallows, I have not tipped since the first day. I have ~4 hours now in the boat. Time will tell

size
I have been in competitive athletics my entire life, I played American football through College. My body composition would not be considered average. Which unfortunately means I carry even more weight in my upper body. I was able to shave just over an inch off the seat, and seems to have helped significantly

physics
You cant cheat physics. So where should the waterline be on the boat with me in it? My wife snapped some pics of me so I can see if it seems to be nose/tail heavy/light, overall too low etc. What should I be looking for?

Going straight vs traveling
I don’t think you will die if you stay in the shallows and attend to the clothing issue and stay away from current.

I do want to make one comment about this boat and your use. If going straight and fast in water near shore is where you want your skills to go, this boat should work with the above cautions. But - if touring and lumpier water starts looking intriguing as warmer weather comes on, you will do yourself a HUGE favor in terms of skills work by getting yourself a boat in which you can more easily relax and take some chances with edging to turn. No one learns nearly as well when they are spending all their energy on trying to stay upright. And this boat, with you in it in lumpy water, is likely to be one of those experiences.

eventual trade
The forum consensus is that you are too big for this kayak. Nevertheless, it sounds as if you are determined to take it on as a challenge to advance your skills. That can be a good thing, but there are many cautionary notes to observe - you have seen many of these on the forum already. One danger is that you could build up a false confidence leading you to push the envelope too far.

During the time you are using this kayak in a cautious and conservative manner, there is a second thing you can pursue. Look for a trade via Craigslist or via any nearby kayak clubs - even temporary swaps to try other kayaks appropriate for your size. This kayak appears to be a classic design and quite a fast tracker. There may be smaller, experienced paddlers who would love to try this boat. It may be a stepping stone (oops, bad metaphor for a boat) to something more ideal. As you meet new boats, this forum remains a place where you can get useful info.

In fact, I am a person who would like to try the Astrolab, but this is entirely impractical because I am on the other side of the country. The point being that such people exist.

Check out Wing Paddles
I think once you get the hang of paddling the thing, if you want to go fast and have a good work out you are probably going to want to get a proper wing paddle.

Check out the Onno Paddle Shop website.

You can work on balance using a balance ball at home, I think you will find after several hours of seat time the tippy feeling goes away and you start to bond with the boat.

keep us posted
Hey Nick.

Keep us posted on your learning curve. It’s a chance for us to learn as well, albeit vicariously.

Quick Update
I think I have enough seat time to say I love this Kayak. I have never owned a ‘advanced’ or expensive kayak before so that needs to be considered during my ranting and raving. But the Astrolab is amazing! I have to say this boat gives my supermoto style motorcycle a run for its money in grin factor.

Who knew edging could be so much fun. My turning radius is fairly large while trying to keep the speed up, but it is so much fun on the edge! I love lining it up for the straightway and powering it as fast as my balance can handle. I am nowhere near reaching the capability of the boat and yet I feel a million years ahead of where I was a couple months ago. I still am not comfortable enough to slap the gnats away while at a stop, but if I am moving along I have no problem dropping the paddle and adjusting or repositioning.

I still have not developed my self recovery technique to where I am comfortable for long treks yet, but I have practiced rolling and finally can get a complete roll and manage to stay in place. I cant wait to get my comfort level up and really see what the boat can do