New "Nordkapp" Review

It still lighter :wink:
I think most of us have the experience of our boats weighing well more than manufactirers listed weights.

However, even a reduction from 62 to 55 is a reduction. If Valley is successful with its new approaches in layups, even the standard boats should weigh less. There is no reason they canā€™t weigh as little as well made North American boats.

I would love it if my ProLite Aquanaut weighed as little as my friendā€™s standard layup Chatham 18. Providing it was still as resiliant.

Thanks for your reply, Peter
Sounds like many on here are intrigued by the new 2006 Nordkapps. I am formally requesting a group discount if plenty of us buy one factory direct. Please help. Signed, Lusty in Illinois

Valley measures depth/height
The depth/height measures in the Valley catalogue are overall height.

Sea Kayaker measures inside from floor of cockpit to bottom of coaming.

So, Valley gives the depth/height of the Nordkapp H2O as 14". SK measures inside at front of coaming at 12 3/8".

Like wise the Aquanaut, which Valley states is 13.5 deep/high, SK measures inside at front of coaming at 11 5/8" (which is within 1/8-1/4" of the measure I get measuring inside my Aquanaut).

Therefore, if Valley is giving the depth/height of the Nordkapp LV at 13ā€™, the inside measure at front of cockpit may be slightly more than 11".

Good info to know
Yes, agreed that Valley measures differently regarding deck height than SK. I would be curious as to how the deck height compares with the current Anas Acuta boat.

Yes, agree that this new Nordy should make alot of folks happy that needed that hull in a lighter, faster, and lower volume. Sounds like a winner!

What is the reason

ā€“ Last Updated: Feb-16-06 1:48 PM EST ā€“

I understand it is all subjective, but just what is it about the Nord LV that would make it more attractive to you than say an Avocet or Aqua LV? I assume the volume would be roughly the same so they would all be in the same category in terms of gear carrying.

automotive fetish
I would argue itā€™s more about personality (the kayaks) than carrying capacity. A little like buying a car, many cars will have a carrying capacity suitable for your familyā€™s needs, even under one company you might find choices that are more biased towards: safety, comfort, performance or ruggedness people end up making the choice that best matches their own relative perspective of those virtues. Often the choices we make is almost subconscious like meeting people we just have better affinity with some than others. Truth be told, unless our needs are exceptionally specific we could pick a car (or kayak) from the right general classification at random and it will still serve all our needs, weā€™ll just not be quite as happy with it as we could have been!

It is the same with kayaks all are a compromise of factors: speed, stability (primary and secondary), manoverability, tracking, rough water handling and several others. Many of these charitoristics have inverse relationships i.e. you can only make one better by making another worse. The difference are often subtle it is a case of finding the one that matches you and your needs the best, generally the one you enjoy paddling the most. Continuing the car analogy I would describe the Nordkapp LV as a sports coupe (possibly an Aston Martin DB9) The Aquanaut as the SUV (Range Rover) and the Avocet as the hot hatch (Mini Cooper)

I apologise for indulging my automotive fetish

Just what I wanted
"Continuing the car analogy I would describe the Nordkapp LV as a sports coupe (possibly an Aston Martin DB9) The Aquanaut as the SUV (Range Rover) and the Avocet as the hot hatch (Mini Cooper)

I apologise for indulging my automotive fetish"

Donā€™t apologise. You gave exactly the type of answer I was looking for since it is clearly a matter of how the boat feels to a given user and what feel a given user likes. Well, then there is how the boat looks and that is a valid reason too in my book.

And don;t forget $$$$

Extremely well putā€¦
Lots of excellent boatsā€¦ultimately itā€™s about finding the right one for you, and that varies.

Not unlike skis, and ski boots, backpacks, etc. I think new enthusiasts tend to want to rank boats. They also tend toward whatever their chosen guru paddles, and will evangelize accordingly. I donā€™t mean that to sound badā€¦itā€™s not, just a typical start to an evolution of growing as a paddler. Itā€™s been my experience that the most experienced paddlers are the least absolutist, and this can frustrate the beginner who wants to be told ā€œwhatā€™s bestā€.

Thanks Peter
for your response to my question. I look forward to test paddling the Nordkapp LV.

NJP17

Aquanaut as the SUV?

ā€“ Last Updated: Feb-17-06 12:31 PM EST ā€“

If someone had characterized the Aquanaut as an SUV, I wouldn't have even test paddled it. I might think of a Quest or Argonaut as a Range Rover like SUV, but find the speed and livliness of the Aquanaut to make it comparable to at least a different variety of SUV.

Sea Kayaker found the Aquanaut to be "Fast yet maneuverable and easy to roll, scull and brace - a top choice for adventuresome intermediate-to-advanced paddlers."

I guess my concept of a Range Rover like SUV is different than Peter's ;-)

11.5"
The Valley 2006 catalogue gives the depth of the Anas Acuta as 11.5" which is 1.5" lower than the depth given for a composite Avocet and Nordkapp LV.

possibly the new Range Rover sport!
Possibly the new range rover sport then! The point I was trying to make is that kayak choice is very subjective. Although I feel the Sea Kayaker statā€™s are the best available, raw data means nothing unless you feel a real connection with the kayak you paddle. A good example is some tests I did whilst still with P&H. I wanted a more objective take on the relative differences of speed of our different models I used a fixed distance flat water time trial using hart rate monitor to control exertion and GPS to record other information. Despite running the tests a number of time I could find no significant difference between a plastic Capella (original model) and the Sirius in composite. I bet if you ask a number of experienced paddlers who have tried both, almost all will say the Sirius is the quicker kayak, alas it is an illusion it (the Sirius) feels more flighty and alive but its lack of water line length entirely nullifies the advantage of its narrow beam (Things do change a little in the ruff and/or following sea conditions)

just bustinā€™
It is subjective. As long as the boat is capable of handling the conditions one is going to paddle, fits and has enough glide to keep pace with the folks with whom you paddle, the rest is personality.

I am beginning to fear for the variety of boats in my core pod. Explorers are coming to dominate. I hope the new Valley boats seduce a few of my friends. Now there is only my Aquanaut and two poly Avocets among those I paddle with most often. I love my Romany, and believe the Explorer is a fabulous boat, but find a number of Valley boats sexier :wink: Besides I canā€™t buy another boat this season and really want to spend some time in a Nordkapp LV, Aquanaut LV and an Anasā€¦

should

ā€“ Last Updated: Feb-18-06 7:16 AM EST ā€“

clarify...this is only for a person that is your weight, or loaded and trimmed to your weight and trim. The further in or out of the water that any two boats sit will change the water line and hull configuration of those two boats, unless they are the exact same model

so a lighter or heavier person/load, could find their results from such a test differ.

I do agree that the differances between most composite boats is not as much a differance of speed as it is , a differance of attitude the particular boat has. Looking forward to trying out the "NEW" LV...on a side note...the new 2006 Valley catalogue says that the Avocete replaces the Pintail.....these two boats definately have differant attitudes. One doesn't really replace the other, except in the catalogue.

Best Wishes
Roy

Nordkapp LV
Scottish winter testing of the Nordkapp LV has continued. Here are some shots from last weekendā€¦

http://www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgenetics/seakayaking_coldingham060218.htm

The Nordkappā€™s slim round bottom and low volume bow and stern handle so well in the surf. This is the only kayak I have ever managed to straighten up from a broached position in this type of surf. The seams survived several pitchpoles which is testament to the quality of construction. I have ordered one today!!

Best wishes from Scotland,

Douglas :o)

http://www.seakayakphoto.com

Whatā€™s that purple poly boat in theā€¦
ā€¦bottom picture (the group shot)? Great photos.

interior fit compared to H2O?
How would you compare interior fit of LV to most recent H2O? Which style seat did your demo boat have? How are you configuring your one just ordered?

Avocet
Glad you liked the photos, thank you. The poly boat is a Valley Avocet RM. Itā€™s paddler Jordan is only twelve! He only fell in once when two adult males ran over him one after the other. He rolled up both times. By the time he is an adult he will be completly fearless!

Douglas.

H2O v LV
The H20 label is not attached to UK Nordkapps. As far as I know it means 2 oval hatches. In the UK recent Nordkapps sold up to 2005 have had the Jubilee label Here is a 2004 model which I have paddled with 2 oval hatches.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgenetics/2004/040821arisaig0071.jpglabel.

Comapred with the LV there is about an inch less clearance between the cockpit rim at the upper thighs and the seat. This 2004 model had a low grp seat. The LV had a plastic seat with a padded cover which I had to remove to fit in wearing winter gear of dry suit with Buffalo (pile/pertex) insulation underneath.

Word of this review has spread. Mair in the yellow Nordkapp Jubilee above ordered a replacement LV 3 weeks ago and got one made to order in 2 weeks. I ordered mine yesterday but was given a 10 to 12 week wait. I took a stock one with the standard seat. If I had gone custom I would have deleted the seat and fitted a foam seat to the bottom of the boat. As it is, I think there is scope to remove some of the support foam from beneath the plastic seat and shim out the top of the seat where it mounts under the cockpit.

I am 85 kg with fairly muscular thighs and removing the supplied seat cover would do for lighter summer clothing. Valley supply some foam sheet for mounting under the cockpit rim but I did not fit it.

The LV outperforms the Nordkapp Jubille in every performance parameter bar carrying capacity. Lastly the bulkheads are like a tapered cone at the edges and are pushed into the taper of the hull. this spreads the load if the hull is stressed in the bulkhead are. If you order a custom bulkhead position you loose bthis feature so I have gone for standard.

Douglas :o)