New Product: Roll assistance

use
It might have utility as a self-rescue device. It is a large float that’s already deployed. But I can’t see it as a learn-to-roll aid. I think it’d making positioning the paddle harder(what if you want to set up on the opposite side?), it’ll make the paddle harder to sweep, and it’ll encourage people to pull down on the paddle shaft.

And personally, paddling with that bulk in front of me would be annoying.

he needs to hook up with the sponson guy
and create a way to move one sponson from the kayak to the paddle so you can right yourself when the waves are so big they capsize a kayak with sponsons deployed.

Sponson guy
I LOVE sponson guy! He makes even my most insane rant seem positively sane. Perhaps if Roll-Aid guy and Sponson guy got together they could build the fun proof kayak, guaranteed not to capsize, put you in harms way and, if you order today, you can have included, free of charge, a Ronco Pocket Fisherman! They could create ever more lawsuits and rants about how proper education and training are trumped by equipment solutions.

In a more serious vein, the search for equipment solutions over training has been a lifelong pursuit in many outdoor venues, though, perhaps kayaking lends itself to it more than others. It doesn’t help that I just heard that the local Costco is selling “kayaks” for $300. This particular market is all about equipment solutions as shortcuts to training.

re the roll-aid

– Last Updated: Apr-24-12 9:31 AM EST –

The one device which has any sense to it is the roll-aid. Sits on your deck in a manageable sized cannister and does not become anything to have to handle unless and until you opt to deploy it. And the inflated bag is the same orange as used for other rescue signals, like flags. If it does not get you back up, it can help with the next problem.
It also won't work reliably unless someone has at least started decently towards a roll, unlike this newest idea. It Iacks floatation to get someone up without some amount of hip snap.

I don't use it because paddling with someone else also with rescue skills is better. But it is a better device than the gripes it gets.

Mix up
I’m mixing up the gadgets. I’m referring to the shaft float in this thread, not the roll aid. I apologize to the roll aid folks.

Got it
I figured you were talking about this new thing. I just wanted to head off Roll-Aid getting caught in this one.

I have a fond spot in my heart for the guy who developed it after I got a call from him apologizing for taking 6 or 8 weeks to cash the check. He’d sent us the stuff promptly, then went on vacation, left the check (along with others I suspect) in his desk drawer and took a while to notice.

There is an endearing lack of mercenary instincts among many of the paddling vendors, though it is probably not always the best for their long term business prospects.

Another device, but w/a different approa
Somebody made, essentially, a supplemental air device so that people could have more air available if they failed a roll and wanted to try again.

Most people do have enough lung capacity to go for a 2nd or 3rd roll after a failed one, but many learners feel like they do not and instantly wet exit after a failed roll. This included me when I was learning. The aqua-lung thing would’ve provided some psychological support in that kind of situation. But I’ve never seen one or heard of anyone using it.

Possible downside to that one
I think for the right person that device was a wonderful idea. But it likely means opening your mouth under water to put it in. That is fine for someone who has taken and passed one of the intro diving classes - if you can open your mouth for a regulator the opening for this aqualung type thing would be easy. But a lot of people fail that part of the diving test - when Jim and I took it, the instructor eliminated 50% of the class from going on to a dive. I was absolutely floored to have passed that part myself, but somehow it was fine when I went to do it.

Don’t need the device
Check out this: http://www.seakayakermag.com/2003/03Oct/breath1.htm