New sit-in kayak & spray skirt

Reasons why I paddle SOT.

@

Well, understanably, but SOT are quitse slower than Sit in (provided that you are famliar with both), also because they often don’t have a raddle and have a larger beam. Right?

In this respect, the best SOT that i have found available in local dealers is the following one Corona – Feelfree US . But I am worried that it might be too slow.

Thank you all for the advise and experience that you share (I can only quote up to 2 people). I will use the kayak in salt water and only during summer (when it is really warm where I live). Also, I notice that many of you report the skirt as an issue beacause of boat wakes. Fortunately, where I usually paddle it is very uncommon that a boat will come closer that a several hundrends meters from me (So the wave is also small by the time it might reaches me).

That Corona is a barge.
SOT have been evolving with the sport, in some cases becoming lighter and faster.
If you are not too big, the RTM Disco is a quick little boat.
If you want light and fast, check out the Stellar S14S .
. And they come with rudders.

I agree with the others like hank. If you are going to paddle a kayak with a cockpit, you need to have a spray cover. You need a cover on the other hole if there is no passenger in your boat. You need to practice wet exits so it becomes second nature. Make sure your cockpit is large enough before you try it.

In warm weather on calm water, I have used a little shade cover on the cockpit. It provides shade but allows air circulation. In cooler weather and rain, a cover adds surprising warmth. When the wind picks up which often happens every afternoon, a cover keeps you upright. When the ferry comes by or large wakes from powerboats the cover does its job. When the 4 foot waves are washing over your deck you can stay upright with some bracing practice.

A kayak with water in it can be a disaster. You better have a bilge pump and a paddle float. Practice safety all the time. Then you will react in the right way and with some confidence when something bad happens.

excellent choices, but they are for one person. I am looking for a tandem…