New SOT, very wet on first outing

My new experience
we just picked up and put our 2 sit on tops on the water yesterday on a lake to try them out. One - Ocean Kayak Yakboard, the other an Ocean Kayak Frenzy - Totally different short little boats. The weight max is somewhere around 250 for the yakboard but my husband at 225 had it almost submerged - its useless for him (as i figured it would - those weights listed are not practical) As I weigh less, it was ok and fun for me. We used scupper plugs (4) in each and i think the water coming in that pooled some was from our paddles. We were ready with quick dry clothing though! The frenzy is tight also on my husbands derriere so it also isn’t a perfect fit for him although it held him out of the water decently. Now a note - we want these just to mess around at a florida beach with waves/just short paddles off the beach area so tracking we knew would be what it is with them - not great but dealable. Now one of our paddlegroup friends let me try his older Wilderness Systems Tarpon 16 and it is a totally different boat - it is great for tracking - sits higher up and a completely different hull obviously as it is meant for a different type of paddling and also fishing. It did have some water around the seat etc but i think thats what you will get with a sit on top - a little cushion might help. It was a great boat although it felt heavy to move in the water. If i could buy another (NOT) this Tarpon would probably be on the list although i do not know the differences now with the newer ones - this one had the old logo etc so i know its been around awhile.

New Tarpons look to have the same
hull as the old. I have had both and like the “i” (new)model because the tankwell keeps stuff like cold drinks handy.

L
i have no idea how String manages to get so wet when i have at least 50 pounds on Him??? i do have a different seat, but i doubt that makes a difference…

L
while i liked the old Tarpon with out the tank well for over night trips and its packing ability. I can stash cold drinks on the tarpon between my legs, plenty of space on deck…

Gander return advice
Make sure that you let the manager know that you were sold a boat that doesn’t fit and won’t work for you. Try for your money back, but because it was used they may only want to issue you store credit. They should give you a refund. If not, Gander carries the Mad River Synergy fishing SOT. A Synergy 14 lists capacity at 400lbs and could work for you. Not sure of what people think of the design/handling of this model though.

Tom

Synergy 14 is a good boat for
fishing and even easy whitewater. Doesn’t track like a Manta Ray or a Tarpon, but if you are on smaller waters most of the time, you’ll probably like its maneuverability. And no scuppers. Once water gets in you have to sponge it out.

jim

Update
Decided to hang on to the Perception Angler and let my son give it a try. He is smaller and it may be a good boat for him. If not, I’ll return it.

I found an older model OK Prowler Trident 15 Angler at a great deal. It is rated for 450, and looks to have a better drainage design. Hopefully I can get it wet this weekend and find out for sure.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice.

Thanks for the update. Most don’t.

SOTs can be dry
And generally should be dry unless water comes from the sides or above. If the SOT fills-up with water by just sitting in it, that means you need a more buoyant design.

Surf skis are an exception to that - they fill-up when stationary and drain when on a move. But a typical fishing sit on top should remain dry or should drain if it fills-up from the sides. If it does not - get a larger model -:wink:

For reference, the Cobra Explorer (I think) that I paddle for a couple of seasons before getting more seriously into kayaking would remain pretty much dry all the time in calm water or would drain completerly after being swamped. That was with 190lb paddler.

scupper holes
are their any disadvantage to plugging the scupper holes?