New to Canoeing - Advice on Aluminum?

Aluminum

– Last Updated: Oct-31-12 3:12 PM EST –

I'm betting that no matter whether the feedback given regarding aluminum canoes is positive or negative; the vast majority of those who "used" to paddle aluminum, do NOT do that anymore. Nor do they wish to do so.

I had an old, aluminum "beater" that I paddled for a couple of thousand miles in my youth. That was all I could afford. It got me out on the water; that was my only concern. I upgraded to a near mint condition 17 foot standard Grumman. After I bought an Old Town Discovery 174; the Grumman just took up space. I sold it many years ago, and have never missed it in any way.

BOB

Keep it forever
If your the type who likes a true work puckup over a fancy rig or car …

If your the type who preferes a dual sport over a fancy Harley or crotch rocket…

If your the type who likes good old work boots over nikes or columbia …

Or if you just prefer to paddle the toughest canoe out there and not worry about the sun breaking down your $2000 canoe, You just might be the type to keep it forever and ignore the fancy canoe snobs.

Later on you can get that fancy Scott canoe.

But witch one will spend the entire summer on the roof rack just waiting for a quick paddle between work and you appointment.

Grumman

Try that with Kevlar and see if you still have it in 20-30 years.

JOHN

iN aRIZONA
those old aluminum canoes are popular with the scouts and a few old-timers. you can generally get them used cheap…

Pro: they take a LOT of punishment adn are easy to repair.

Con: They are hot, reflect heat tothe paddlers and drop snything and the echos scare all the fish within a mile away.