New to kayaking and slowest in the tours

I took my 26 year old granddaughter out for kayak jaunts twice recently. She’s diminutive, but very athletic. The first time I gave her a few pointers on her forward stroke, but was careful not to overwhelm her with information. When we got home she was telling people how strong and fast her 80 year old grandfather was. The next trip I gave her more pointers on her forward stroke. She also got more comfortable and her speed picked up very significantly. When we got home, she no longer told anyone I was strong and fast. Glory passes quickly.

4 Likes

Phnx51, first of all, enjoy the ride. My recommendation as a new member myself, is to start at the first thread and read from beginning to end. Then the next until you’ve read every post. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll feel intimidated, you’ll be emboldened, and you’ll learn far more than you ever imagined. Don’t from an opinion. Just absorb. If you have a second computer or web search resource. Use it to Google terms and equipment. Don’t buy things, or decide styles until you’ve read posts. If you don’t understand, look it up, or ask what is meant by . . . Videos galore. Watch them. Decide your style. Local kayakers can advise about style. Many kayakers have more paddle varieties than a supermarket has soup.

Kayaks are a very specislized craft. Each kayaker will claim a boat as the favorite. That doesn’t mean it should be yours. Whether it’s recreation, sit on top, sea or touring, white water or paddle board, the place you paddle determined the type of boat. Open cockpit is nice, but as you progress, most prefer a boat that offers more control. Do you want speed, maneuverability, load capacity, light weight, handle bad weather, durable. Read threads to decide which have the best safety festures. It will be apparent as you read on.

Good thread on comfortsble PDFs. I just bought one and it’s going in the parts bin. Lots of good ideas of what works and what gets in the way.

Paddles. I thought I had it pegged. Maybe yes. Maybe no. I see more paddles in my future.

It’s already in here. It reads like a book. Then I re-read, because one post helps understand another.

One thing you will find. The more you feel connected to the kayak, the more you’ll feel you have wings. Look at paddling videos. Notice the fluid movement reflexive, instinctive, conditioned movement. I feel best in a stable, encloses boat that let’s your body move the boat. Some like to relax, others like to play in challenging water, a few like to spit in the wind, many like the solitude or the camaraderie. I like partnering, but alone let’s you explore without interruption. You are alone in tbe world. When you’re alone. You can push the limit until you break. Hopefully you hold out until you are within sight of the launch point. You got at least a week worth of reading. So put on the coffee and enjoy.

Rsvevenic. You’re wrong. She knows. It’s now common knowledge. You’ll influence her forever. It’s a grand feeling to take a young person and add a layer of skill. I can see my 13 yrs old rsnd daughter has developed a connection to the boat. I moved her out of a kids model into the closest thing I had, a 125 Tsunami. She handled it like a pro. So I’ll set her up in her next boat. You done good grandpa.

Wise words indeed. Thank you.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I just signed up for a set of lessons - and free “coached practices” - with Potomac Paddlesports, Montgomery County, MD. I’ve schedule the first class and 3 practice sessions. I intend to learn develop good technique, be safe, and enjoy being on the water - and becoming part of the community Tha ks And I’ll keep listening

3 Likes