new to river canoeing

moisie 16.6
I was thinking the same thing I love the idea of the 17 ft for the room,and the higher ride in the water.to be honest,the only solo trips would be if I found a group or paddle with one of you great guys.i have it narrowed down to the nova craft prospector 16 or 17 ft.what do you think about nova craft moisie 16.6 it hase 4 inchs of rocker,which might make it handle better solo.

Moisie is a sweet boat, but I don’t
think you’d like it as a GP canoe unless you also plan to tandem in white water frequently. Based on what you’ve said it sounds like you’d be happy with a Prospector, but be aware that if you buy one from Nova Craft you’ll be getting a boat made from a new hull material. Not saying that’s a bad thing, and everyone seems to like the Tuff Stuff, but it bears considering. Are there any boat shops in your area? You may be surprised by what they’re willing to do to help with advice and price.

Nova Craft Moisie
You probably won’t be able to get a Moisie for a while, unless Nova Craft has a Royalex model in still in stock (highly unlikely) or you can find a Royalex model used (also unlikely).

Nova has announced that they intend to produce this model in composite (TuffStuff) but have not announced the price.

The Moisie is actually a pretty old design which first saw life as the Starburst made in Royalex by Blue Hole Canoe, long out of business. Many people feel that the Starburst/Moisie and the Dagger Dimension (also long out of production) are the two finest whitewater tandem tripping canoes ever made.

At 34 inches beam the Moisie is quite wide for a solo paddler to handle but better in this regard than 15 or 16 foot Prospectors. I do know several people who use these solo for whitewater and tripping. Although I like the Nova Craft Prospector 16 I personally would vastly prefer owning the Moisie for virtually all uses.

Blue Mountain Outfitters
Looks like there’s a nice shop two hours from Philly. Might want to visit with someone there. Here’s the link. http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/

i am ready to get paddleing
you guys really helped me out. I think I am going with the prospector,i am going to have to settle for what color the dealer has,because the manufacturer said it would take 4 weeks to build and 2 weeks to deliver.and I,m itching to get in the river.

bridge pillars
in a strong current form an upstream eddy on the pillars downstream side, or boulder. If you take a clinic or course, paddling in and out are instructed.

https://goo.gl/e2QZlf

Most people who get hooked on paddling
end up paddling solo. Coordinating schedules is tough for tandem paddlers (unless it is the rare couple that enjoys paddling together), and after they miss a trip or two most people go it alone.

Tandem boats are relatively easy to buy used, and you don’t need a brand new $2K Prospector to paddle rivers. I’d find a used tandem, put some float bags in the bow and stern, and run a few trips with your friends. If it works you can invest in the Prospector. If not, you’ll still have the $$$$ to get a solo boat like the rest of us.

mad river malecite
Malecite was marketed as a tandem that can be soloed.

If you are a big guy and use the center seat adjusted for your weight it is passable as a solo if you are not in a hurry. If you run a good solo boat, the malecite will make you feel as if you are being tortured… as will any other tandem paddled as a solo. the malecite is a fine boat, see some on the pnet classifieds.

I converted a jensen encounter ,solo boat, into a convertible tandem. Worked well for me. Would be a blast for smaller paddlers. A rocket with room for a moose.

SHHHHH
If no one buys new canoes where will used canoes come from? :slight_smile: I agree used is the best way to go but it sounds like he’s chomping at the bit which I understand. I prefer to buy used, but a few years ago I was so impressed with a particular shop’s patience with my endless questions and their willingness to help me however they could I bought a brand new canoe from them. I’m friends with the owner now and have since come to realize how much he does for my paddling club. That shop I linked above does have used boats as well, so maybe he’ll be able to put something cheaper together. They do have a used Prospector, but it’s been wrapped.

learning alot
I think that the smart thing to do is buy used for this summer and mabey next year,nova craft will be making the moisie again.you guys have been great,the only thing is since 4 yrs ago,i got told by my doctors that I have leukemia[cll].I am fine now,but getting close to getting cemo.next summers not guaranteed,i understand that its not guaranted for any of us.but since I got this post card from god,to live my life to its fullest.i don’t waist sunrises,and sunsets.

moving water
The transition to moving water, opens up a world of paddling opportunities. No need to buy a new boat. What if you don’t like it? People love to talk about equipment. The difference between a 16 or 17 foot canoe is no big deal. I have paddled plenty of large canoes solo including an OT Guide 18.

What you need is some skill and that means reading, taking a course or learning from some experienced people. If you paddle rivers you are going to take some spills. Learn how to read water and learn the moves to safely make it down rapids. Good luck.