Newb Not Sure About Packs

S !

you left the S in that link… X#400%@!

gnaw…if you trip with garbage bags rain will fall 2 of 3 days, a rogue wave will ‘sweep you overboard’

if bags are packed without a secondary interior bag organization the sporks will be forever lost

inevitable

Bowron Lakes
That trip requires some serious portaging. You can use internal frame packs in a canoe if they are not too big. Get some proper liners from Duluth Pack for $3 apiece. I like canvas Duluth Packs best for canoeing. Dry bags with straps are okay if not too large. Travel light for a trip like that.

but its a good warmup for longer
portages in the BWCA or Algonquin ( much longer) where carts are banned or not practical.

By then you might be ready for a canoe pack. But now you will be fine with what you have

packs

– Last Updated: Jul-27-16 9:31 AM EST –

Use whatever you have available just make sure you put a liner in the bag. Buy a good liner.
I solo trip and I use a Granite Gear Vapor flash back pack. My food pack is an old day tripping pack with a bear vault in it. Its not the best choice but I like it and it works for me. I carry the food pack and the canoe on 1 trip across the portage then the second pack, life jacket and paddles across on the second trip.
I think the most important thing is not necessarily the packs, its what you put in the packs. Go as light as possible.

Fit?
I think fit is important. Granted, canoe packs are unwieldy by design, but if you can get the torso length right, much of the weight will ride on the hips. I have two CCS nylon packs, one large, one small. The larger one is just too long for my torso. Maybe if I had bigger hospital would work, but it’s much worse to carry heavy loads as it all rides on my shoulders.