Newbie- is this doable or am I just nuts

Thank you!
Yes, thanks, I realize that now! I didn’t even realize there were such devices out there to help get it on top of a vehicle. I’m feeling much better about the whole loading/unloading process now. I guess now my main concern is if I can kayak alone, and safely. Thanks for your advice!

Good point… I’m in Central Florida
Thanks for your advice. I’m in the Central Florida area. Yes, I already planned on taking a few kayak courses in my area. There are a few places that offer several levels of instructions and I figured I would take them all. And yes, I will own every safety device known to man (or as much as will fit on the kayak).

Gator country
I’m in Central Florida, and gator country, so definitely not going the inflatable route. At first when I heard about them I thought, oh wow, great idea! It would be so light! But then the thought of getting a puncture and being alone scares me a bit.

Now I know I’m not even ready to discuss what type of kayak yet, but since you brought it up… you mentioned touring kayaks, and after reading tons of articles on the different types I was under the impression a rec kayak would be best. I read it’s better for beginners, more stable and better for the type of water I plan on paddling in (ponds, lakes, slow rivers). What are your thoughts? I really need to keep it as light as possible- saw some around 35 lbs or so. I can’t handle much more than that I don’t think.

I’m thrilled you started this thread!
The fact that you are getting so much advice and so much positive encouragement to go out on your own makes me feel more confident about doing so myself. I’m a 40yo 6ft 172lb male. MY family and I recently purchased a used Old Town Discovery 174 canoe. We’ve been on the water a few times as a family and enjoyed it immensely. However, we can never get out as often as I would like. I often think it would be easier to get out on the water if I was able to do so alone. But then I kept dismissing the idea because I thought it would mean I’d need to get a second, smaller, lighter, solo canoe/kayak in order to paddle by myself.

After reading through all the positive messages in this thread, and reading many other posts about paddling solo in longer/tandem canoes, I am all the more eager to get out on my own. And fortunately, I have just the opportunity to do so in a couple weeks. My wife and daughters are going on a girl’s-only trip to Disney World. So, this is going to be my big shot to get out on the water solo. I just need to make sure I have all the essentials to make it a safe adventure.

Thanks!

Sissy103

– Last Updated: Sep-13-14 6:28 AM EST –

Sissy103 who posts on here is from central Florida. Perhaps she'll see this thread and chime in.

condition
Can you swim for 30 minutes ? Run a mile and not tire ? That’s a good start.

Utube has extensive training videos. Recommend a 2 float figure 8 drill.

Where to go ? good question. There are gators.

Do you know the beach at Salt Spring ? Excellent: shallow clear no tide warm and maybe no gators. Also probable no boating there.

Get a sit on top suits your use ages. Try Craigs List.

Practice falling out and crawling back in. Camp over to Fort Desoto, paddle the area with tides. There’s a shallow practice area on the road up to the bridge view from the Ranger’s station.

Desoto
If you go, try for 34-50 with 48-47 AAA sites. Breeze blows ant poison away.

Never heard of those places
I’ve never heard of those places you mention so I’m guessing they must be far from me. Anyway, you mentioned sit on top, this is just the style, not the type, correct? In other words there are rec kayaks that are sit on top and some are sit-in. Correct? That’s another topic entirely I realize that. I’ve read a lot about choosing a kayak but may I understood that wrong.

Your post scares me
Truth be told your post scared me a bit. I cannot run for 1 mile, as I have problems with my ankles that cause excruciating pain when I run so that’s out. I used to jog but no longer can. I do swim however, and do so often, but I don’t think I go for 30 minutes without stopping. I’ve been lap swimming for many years so I don’t see that improving any. If those are the two standards for being able to paddle alone then I guess I won’t be able to do it.

I would take some classes
I would take some kayak courses in my area. I found a few places that offer beginner’s and advance classes.

Hmmm…
If running a mile is also a requisite then I guess I shouldn’t be out there either. The whole reason I kayak is because I can’t/don’t want to run!

I think comfort in the water is a big one. If you’re a lap swimmer then I think you have a huge advantage already (I am as well - or once was hah). As you’re starting off just paddle close to shore. I do always paddle with a cell phone in a waterproof case around my neck so worst case scenario, so long as I am in a place with reception, I guess I would ditch the boat, swim to shore, and call for help. I’m looking into VHF radios for ocean paddles where I wouldn’t have cell reception.

I think the classes will give you the confidence you need though. I know they helped me big time.

Re: Hmmmm

– Last Updated: Sep-13-14 2:33 PM EST –

Ok, thanks, phew...I'm feeling better now! ;)
I maybe can't do those things but I am in good shape physically. I have no health problems, and workout regularly (mostly pilates, swimming and weight training, some hiking. Someone else mentioned weight training in order to build my upper body strength. I've been weight training since I was 25, I think my muscles are as big as they are going to get! I'm just fairly small, I only weigh 110 lbs so there's only so much I can lift. But I'm pretty good at pushing/pulling/dragging lol!

No no
Never ditch the boat unless you have tried many other things. Have you learned to re-enter from the water? If you have now, and I see ocean in your profile, get that under your belt.

ignore the alarmists and extremists
In every sport, there are always going to be people who take extreme positions. I ride motorcycles, and the “ATGATT” crowd can be like that - they think they are on a mission and can be sanctimonious and obnoxious (not all are). I’ve spent much of my life backpacking, and there’s a small but vocal group obsessed with safety training and gear (eye rolls). In kayaking, there are those who proselytize that you shouldn’t venture more than 20 feet from shore unless you can execute a perfect roll in 10 foot seas with 100 pounds of gear in your hatches, or swim a mile with two broken arms. :slight_smile:

Not that any of those folks are here, mind you. :slight_smile:

But… I’ve lived my life using reasonable caution (most of them time), and I’m still here to tell about it. Don’t obsess, just use good common sense and do a little reading and maybe get some basic instruction in self-rescue techniques. And enjoy paddling, that’s what it’s all about.

No no
Oh yes I have the re-entry down. I was just saying that by paddling close to shore at least I know if all else fails I could get to a beach. Obviously that’s a last resort!

there really was only one
close to shore is often rougher as you will find out… Tidal rip currents are to be dealt with .

Often safer off shore

I cant swim or run a mile… I find the post that warned you have to be doing that a troll. I solo a LOT and being with your boat is the goal.

Never mind the gators

Sissy has a pack canoe or two… You can easily get one sub 25 lbs . Perfect for inland Fl waters

Salt Springs is motorboat heaven and expensive. Its quite exposed as its a big bay and as such less appealing than other areas with more intimate springs and creeks.

You don’t need to run a mile
Swimming for 30 minutes would be a good thing to know you can do, but, as Celia said, the goal is to stay with your kayak, not swim without it. I used to be able to swim 30 minutes but don’t know if I could now. Getting the skills so you can re-enter the boat (or roll it, if you want to learn that someday) after a capsize is more important than how many minutes you can swim. Even better, prevent capsizing in the first place (bracing and edging).

Take the classes, go out in easy conditions, build up your boating fitness, and RELAX. You’re in shape, you plan to get the skills, you are conscious of the safety factors. You sound like a sensible person, so don’t let the resident wacko scare you. Do a search on his other posts, just for grins.

Tampa Bay
http://goo.gl/8isGT3

you may ask Maps for directions so you can run over…

picture yourself…
http://goo.gl/KgkHj2

Central Florida
Okay, gnatcatcher and kayamedic, here I am with a bit of advice. As mentioned, I paddle solo a lot in central Florida. Right now, I have a Hurricane Skimmer 128, two light weight pack canoes (one of which may soon be for sale) and a newly acquired used Swifty 9.5—sometimes a short plastic boat is just what I need. I also regularly paddle a Tarpon 100 and Perception Tribe 9.5 in my volunteer work at the nearby state park.

Two suggestions. If you are in the Orlando area, visit Travel Country Outdoors in Altamonte Springs. They carry Hurricane, Perception, Wilderness Systems, Hobie, and other brands. Every Saturday they do demoes at Secret Lake Park in Casselberry, and they will bring the boats you want to try.

There is also an excellent meet up group:

http://www.meetup.com/adventuresinflorida/

Greg Pflug, the organizer, also owns and operates Adventures in Florida and does longer trips in Florida and other locations. There is a $25 annual fee for the meet up group, but for group members Greg provides kayaks for those who do not have their own yet–first come, first serve reservations for those, and not available for all trips. Occasionally, training sessions are offered by several members who are ACA certified.

I’m not currently active in the meet up group, because I prefer to paddle solo or with one or two friends, but it is an excellent way to meet a few people you might like to paddle with some, and a great source of information about paddling destinations, different kayaks, etc. They are a friendly, helpful group. I would suggest paddling with them before you get a kayak, because if you decide you want to continue to paddle a lot with a group, it will influence your selection of boat—an 11 foot boat that would make you very happy in your solo paddling and wildlife photography might be frustrating if you’re often trying to keep up with longer boats.

Hope this helps.