Newbie transporting help

The loops that store under the hood when not in use and are pulled out when needed are usually attached to fender bolts. They come out under the sides of the hood and do not strain the hood or the latch. After thousands of miles I can also attest that they don’t wear the paint off. And, with one on each side, you can tie the boat(s) so as to minimize yawing. In short, highly recommended.

Peter

I prefer my forward tie down to be as far forward as possible so I don’t use the hood loop approach. I’ve always found that I can get at the metal framework that supports the hood latch either by reaching through the lower grill on the car, or possibly by coming up from underneath (might have to remove a plastic panel on the underside of the car). I secure a strap with a loop on the end to that metal framework, possibly by tying a knot and then using a wire tie to further secure the knot. I then snake the loop in the end of the strap out through a slot in the grill. When I don’t need the tie down, I tuck the strap back in through another slot in the grill.

I have been using hood loops for years. Multiple cars, no impact whatsoever on the car or paint. That is an old wives tale IMO. But you can always put down some plastic over the spot if it will make you nuts.

The reason we converted, literally after the one and only trip where we used a bow line going just under the front bumper, was because it came loose on the way home. While there are ways to make that less likely, bottom line was we immediately realized that we had a length of rope dancing around that could have gone into the wheel well and cause a seriously bad accident. Especially if it happened on a highway where you cannot immediately pull over.

It got our attention. W e went to straps or ropes tied off to some place under the hood immediately.

As to location, IMO it is a little better when there is some sideways pull on the bow line towards the inside of the car. So the Hullivator is on the right and the bow line runs to the left forward side of the hood, and vice versa when I have a second boat up on saddles on the right. The criss cross spot is visible when I am driving to Maine, but it is not an impediment.

I have seen people do something similar with stern lines, tie off to a clip under the rear liftgate.

1 Like

I have a question regarding tying the stern line to a receiver bike rack. It is a very solid one and the bikes would block you to tying off to the receiver.

@Bobby3P What’s the question? A picture would help as well

This is the kind of bike rack I have and I was wondering if I can attach the rear tie down directly to the rack. I would not want it to tangle with our two road bikes. This is an image from the internet but very close to what I have.

I would bet the rack manufacturer would say no.

My opinion, if i had a high quality rack, like the one up pictured, I would tie off to it without reservation

I think that might depend on your hitch receiver, and the length of the boats you’re carrying. I don’t have the exact same rack, but a similar two bike, hitch mounted one, and with a 12’ kayak on my roof, the stern line ended up in the space between the bikes and the car. If you have a longer boat though, the bike rack could end up in the way of your stern lines. My hitch receiver has small loops on either side that I tied the stern line to.

I will be transporting a 16 and a 15. I spoke to where I am getting the boats and they suggested I have the rack on the car when I come to pick up the boats.

Agree w/Mike above.
I can see why they want you to have the bikes on. You need to know what loading issues may come up due to those being mounted, and I expect both sets of toys will go in vacation with you.