newly obsessed wannabe canoer

just from my experience
demo as much as you can ! and be as methodical about it as much possible. I learned (the hard way) your size & weight will have a huge impact on how your hull paddles. I’m not going to make any hull suggestions but only offer the advice to take your time and

don’t fall for the flashy/good looking hull on the shelf or in the catalog paddle it ! find one that fits you and happy hunting.

I agree with Plaidpaddler
but I’ll throw another Wenonah canoe at you to take a look at.

The Jensen 17 ultralight kevlar canoe. It weighs in at 39 pounds.

We have had ours for about eight years and love it.

They are expensive, but worth every penny you pay for them.

Cheers,

JackL

Wenonah Jensen 17, same as…
the Minnesota II? I looked at the Wenonah site, didn’t see one listed called Jensen. Did a search and it gave me the Minnesota II.

Which leads me to another question I’ve been wondering about. Do canoes designed for expedition/hauling large loads also perform fine for paddling around without a big load? Or are they at their best when loaded up? I ask because, although overnight camping isn’t in our immediate plans, one never knows, and besides, it’s a question I don’t know the answer to.

Thanks again for all the great replies, suggestions, and advice. I have been reading about all the brands, models, and other issues y’all have brought up.

Also, yesterday found a couple of close-by places where we can rent kayaks. We will do this just so we will know what that is like, to make certain which we like better. Kayak rental seems to be more prevalent around here.

Thanks again.

Jensen
The Jensen 17 and Jensen 18 are listed with Wenonah’s racing canoes. Go to their website and click on the Wenonah Racing tab.

Tripping canoes tend to be larger volume canoes. They almost always have more “freeboard”, the amount of the canoe that sticks up out of the water. A lot of freeboard makes them more seaworthy and is an assest in rough water or a heavily-loaded canoe, but a liability when the wind kicks up. Tripping canoes are also often wider, and carry their width further toward the ends so as to have plenty of room between the gunnels for packs.

The popularity of canoeing has been rather flat for a couple of decades, while the popularity of kayaking has really escalated dramatically. You should definitely try kayaking before buying a canoe but you will definitely pay a lot more money for two quality kayaks than you will one quality tandem canoe and they will be more difficult to store.

Good points to consider…
…about the increased cost of two kayaks vs. one canoe. Why do you think kayaking has increased so in popularity and canoeing has decreased or stayed flat?

17’ Jensen
Like Jack L. I have one of these and have been quite happy with it for recreational racing and day trips. As Wenonah’s 17’ canoes go, this is the fastest, narrowest, and shallowest.

For your stated purpose, you will probably not see the speed difference, but you will see the stability difference between it and the Sundowner or Spirit II.

I suggested the shorter Aurora because you are light and interested in stability and light weight. It will be slower than the Jensen, but faster than other 16’Canoes. And we aren’t talking mph difference, but 200-300 feet per mile traveled.

By all means paddle everything you can, take a trip East and we can put you into the whole selection. Or go to Colorado and Eric N. can help you find the best canoe for you. The Adirondacks and Colorado are beautiful this time of year.

Bill

kayak vs canoe
Well, I think that overall kayaking is considerably easier than canoeing, beyond the novice level. As difficult as beginning kayakers may find it to keep their craft going straight, it is much easier to do in a kayak with a double-bladed paddle than with a single blade in a canoe. Also, I think it is a rare couple who can jump in a tandem canoe and learn technique together without blaming each other when the boat doesn’t do what it is supposed to.

A kayak is much more efficient moving on the water than a canoe. This is because of the reduced windage (the amount of boat that catches the air), the generally narrower beam (a kayak doesn’t need to be as broad to be stable because your center of gravity is lower), and the much greater paddle cadence achieved with a double- bladed paddle.

These advantages are offset by the more confined position in a kayak, rather reduced visiblilty since you are closer to the water and can’t stand up, and the fact that it is more difficult to load and unload the boat are get at things when underway.

one more plus for canoes

– Last Updated: Sep-28-07 2:00 PM EST –

Canoes are capable of carrying far more cargo (up to several hundred pounds more) than kayaks. In some respects, it comes to personal preference and intended use. On longer trips (more than one week) it becomes difficult to pack supplies in a kayak. However, a pair of paddlers and a 17' canoe can haul enough gear/food for three weeks of backcountry exploration without the need to reprovision. On the other hand, I far prefer my kayak for short day paddles as they offer symmetrical exercise and greater ease of control. Having been a single-blade paddler for most of my life (didn't take up a kayak until my late 30's), I do prefer my OC1 for whitewater, though. Again, it's what you prefer - try out as many boats as possible before making a major financial decision. In the end, get out on the water as much as possible and support your local watershed organizations!

http://rivertales.blogspot.com/

dillbuchs last question
i’ll be honest with yah kayaks popularity has to do with liberal left america gettin weak… you know lol takin the easy way out…just remember real men/women paddle canoes… you’ll go far…

hehe hey you asked so i opine’d

now “don’t taze me bro”

please note: this was posted in pure humor

smtara “OBA”

ditto
Decks!?! We don need stinking decks!!!

Skirts??? We don wear stinking skirts!!!