Night light

Small Dorcy dive-light

Here’s what you want:

http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-163-41-0467-220-lumen-dive-ii.aspx

I have this light and LOVE it: 220 lumens, waterproof to 100m, runs on AAAs. I use it for night hikes in the rain, stormdrain exploration, etc. Wet applications, basically. Great light! A thrower, as flashaholics say (tight beam), but with just enough spill that it should be ideal for night 'yaking.

Should be a piece of cake to find a suction cup mount for your deck.

Not all dive lights must be underwater
Princeton Tec makes several that can be used above water no problem at all. But the brightest lights usually do need to be used submerged, and often in water no warmer than 75 degrees.

Maybe too much light
I’m wondering if your desire for more light might be because you have too much light, especially on your “be seen” lights (which most waterfolk call “navigation” lights, by the way) and deck light, but also because of your head light, and it is robbing you of your night vision? Maybe look into repositioning your nav lights so they aren’t casting light in your field of vision. Your stern nav light, the white one, should be between yur back and the stern and point astern with a 112.5 degree arc. If you have a dome light casting 360 degrees, it is going to interfere with your night vision. It’s important to have night vision instead of relying on being able to illuminate anything you might want or need to see. And if you are out on a night that is so moonless that you can’t see stuff without pointing a light at it, maybe you should ask yourself what is the point of being out on a night like that, and is it safe to be out?

I can see why a bright light at times
99% of the time use little light and keep good night vision. Good night vision will let you easily see outlines of things like the shore and some obstacles. But every now and then it’s nice to be able to venture close to some shore or other feature and get a real good look at it – more because it’s interesting rather than for any safety reason. Done seldom enough you can let your night vision return and get on with your paddle.

True, it is good to have
a light for spotting things occasionally, and I always take some kind of spotting light at night, but it is usually off, but waterbird has nav lights, a headlamp, and a deck light already, says he “likes light”. I think he has too much light.

All good points, thanks
You’re right, I have four lights. But I only use the headlamp and deck flashlight intermittently. With the flashlight on I can’t see much of anything outside the beam of light, so I turn it on sporadically to get a general idea of things ahead.

However, a strong light is a big help when landing, in rocky waters, and when paddling close to shore. And also for loading your kayak on your car.

Any decent dive light.
Tie it to the bungees. I use a UK 3 C cell dive light and a Pelican 3 C cell light. Both are great. Both sink!

Tie it on or tie a float to it.