Night paddling with night vision?

No matter where you paddle, you still need to comply with USCG navigation rules for a vessel under oars.

2 Likes

The USCG only requires that a boat under oars, sometimes with other stipulations, only needs to have a white light readily available that can be shown in order to avoid a collision. It need not be on. Most states follow this rule for both coastal and inland waters. Some states my have stricter rules.

However, after my wife and I were nearly run down by a large dingy near a marina that was running with an electric motor and illegally with no lights, we now always have one of those pedestal lights on our rear decks and a small PFD light on our shoulders. Bright enough to be seen, but not so bright that they interfere with night vision.

3 Likes

Not sure where this falls in the regulations, but when I paddled the Yukon River races, we were required to have a small white strobe light available for when the large excursion tour boat “The Yukon Queen” passed by during the hours when the sun was not visible (it never really became dark “night” at that time of year). A metallic radar reflector was optional. That massive tour boat did pass by us at one time. So glad we were on the far side of the river because its wake was massive. The tourists apparently knew about the race as many cameras flashed us.

Strobe lights on inland waters are considered a distress signal in the US. They can also be confused with navigational markers on coastal waters. I occasionally run into people using strobes designed for bicycles and joggers and inform them of the regulations.

Green-eyed, goggled-guy, gliding through the swamp.
Giggin’ frogs, Luther logs, in Swamp Thing memory, WOMP!
Invasive species do abound. In darkness there’s this dread.
No fear of gators, but “Ail’n 'vaders!” This gig adds one to head.

1 Like

That sounds like a great paddle!

I did not know about the regulation regarding use of strobe lights in the US, thank you. The strobe we were asked to carry by race officials for our own safety on the Yukon River canoe race was in the Yukon Territory, Canada, not in the US.

1 Like

it is called safty :wink:
i live in plymouth UK, at times it has busy waters, we have 2 rivers flowing into
plymouth sound,
naval vessels, fishing boats, a ferry port for the large ferry for the crossing of the english channel from plymouth to france, dive boats, foot pedestrian ferries, and privately owned boats, all of which must by law have port and starboard lights, including lights to see and be seen when needed. and yes the human night vision is better without white lights :wink:
so it is not the US where you can bugger off to secluded waters.
so are you saying a small vessel like a kayak shouldn’t use lights to be seen… :frowning: it is bad enough in day light that we aren’t seen never mind a night paddle and not being seen, i’m not saying paddle with your head torch on all the time, i’m saying they are needed.
this is from a day paddle and the white lines are shipping lanes :wink: so to travel these waters at night is even more fun in not illuminated

“…naval vessels, fishing boats, a ferry port for the large ferry for the crossing of the english channel from plymouth to france, dive boats, foot pedestrian ferries, and privately owned boats…”

First off that’s UK. Different place different rules. Just like y’all up north US have different place different rules. Excluding the CG.

You figured right I got options. Right I’m no going to live in Plymouth, or New Your or other big cities. But paddling a boat that draws less than 6 inches, 15.24 cm, in a shipping lane, busy marina, water ski area, etc at night shows poor judgement. That needs to be adjusted…

Overstreet. Here in NY there is almost NO waters were power boats/jet skis aren’t present. So saying its poor judgment to paddle there is silly at best. Under your rules there would be no night paddles. Hey that’s fine for YOU but saying its poor judgment is just WRONG.

I myself have a post light and then if needed either a headlamp 300 lumens or my hand held 1000 lumens to shine at oncoming boats. Also have reflective bungee and deck line. I don’t do night paddles were I start at night but rather in ends up getting dark at end of paddle . Some people work during the day and can only paddle in the evening. Just weekends is not even close to enough paddling.

2 Likes

What part of NY do you paddle in? Where I am in the Adirondacks, I have a wide choice of safe after dark paddling. A kayaking club near me with mostly elderly members regularly paddles after dark on moonlit nights (I am not a member). I and a few others annually paddle the traditional 90 mile Adirondack canoe route beginning at midnight on larger lakes. I wont say I have never seen a night time motorboat, but in a dozen times of paddling the Cannonball-90, I can only think of one time I felt the need when I turned on a headlamp to be visible for a motor seen in the far distance.It never got closer than a mile from me. Try getting out of the city.

The good thing is you can live in New York City and paddle if you want too. You probably won’t ever see my point. Everything is a risk. You chose your course, risk and outcomes. Good paddling to you.

2 Likes

If I did try it, I would need a black canoe and a very quiet hand drill. And you wouldn’t know if I was the one who put the holes in the wakeboarding boats or not.

Thats great if you live in the Adirondacks been there a few times. Its great for a camping trip in the fall. Its over 5 hours away from me. I do after work paddles some times 4 or even 5 days a week. Great lakes Erie and Ontario are my main area. Driving hours for a 3 hour paddle is nonsense. You do have to get home after the paddle for work the next day. . You paddle were you live. Anyone suggesting its poor judgement to paddle were power boats or jet skis are is being well you know what I think of you… Use a post light made for a kayak and have a beam type light if its not enough. it is almost always enough. Stay closer to shore and out of the boat channel when possible.

Paddling with large groups to me is nothing but trouble in the daylight. I cannot imagine going out in a group at night.
Night paddling is okay in calm conditions when it is warm. Let your eyes adjust.

1 Like