Night Paddling?

Scott nice vids. I spent a couple of
nights up there and did not see anything like that. I love to paddle at night I have done most of it around the Muscle Ridge area of Maine and it is so nice without the moon and not having to worry about boats as much as in other areas. I would also stay away from the strobe light as to my knowledge it is for emergencies.

I love it!
I will swap two day paddles for one night paddle any time. It is my favorite by far. Of course be careful.

Coast Guard Rules

All vessels should use proper navigation lights. However, non-powered vessels, such as canoes, kayaks, rowboats, and sailboats under 7 meters in length are not required to have lights installed, and may use a flashlight for navigation. The light does not have to be turned on at all times, but should be turned on in time to avoid a collision. (Rule 25)

State laws of course my be different on their waters.

What I do is what others have said. I have no lights on but I have a 4 cell waterproof light attached to the PFD. I have been an avid boater all my life and I know how to watch the Nav lights and know where a boat is going. If there is any chance it is or might be coming any where near me I take my light and wave it back and forth in the direction of the boat so it ‘flashes’ at them. I figure it is more likely to get their attention than a stationary light. I am not shinning it in their eyes.

What scares me is the trend for the pontoon boaters are putting headlights on their boats and run down the lake with them on. You can’t see anything except what is immediately in front of you. They should only use them for docking or entering a unfamiliar harbor. They have no night vision or any common sense if you ask me. They would hit us before they could react. I give them a LOT of respect and a lot of distance!

When it comes to flashlights there are two rules. Bigger/brighter is always better and always carry a spare.

Headlamp works great
you don’t have to put down your paddle except to turn it on, and it’s always pointing where you’re looking. I keep an LED headlamp on my bean whenever paddling at night. I don;t turn it on unless I need it, because of night vision issues, and I have regulation lights on anyway, so I should be visible.

stick it
Glow sticks that is and stick to the Bernville side of bluemarsh.The no wake zone side of the lake.

The other little parks like Kersher creek and hopewell might kick you off at dark.check the county’s web sites if they have park regs posted.

If you travel up to the Poconos you have plenty of opertunities to nite paddle on Pecks,shahola,promised land…

Thanks!
Thanks to everybody for your input… I got great tips and ideas from everyone and knowing what I now know, it’s gonna be a long wait this winter until I get to night paddle.