NOAA Weather Radios

How do you quantify it?
All I can tell you is that my O.S. handheld weather radio will barely give me even poor reception on one or two channels, but I get good reception on four with my VHF.

Good deal on Uniden Voyagers
Uniden Voyagers can be found on eBay for about $120. They retail for $199. I just got one, and am happy with it. It’s small and waterproof.

Paula

Seakayaker mag article
The latest Seakayaker mag has an article on Ham radios . It addresses some of your concerns. I still would go with the Marine VHS. However, if I only did remote areas perhaps I would go with the ham. Just my .02 FishHawk

new Ham license structure
I am also a ham, and have followed this post with interest. I recently received a brochure from the ARRL (American Radio Relay League)which is one of the largest ham radio organizations around. They are attempting to have the FCC change some of the licensing requirements for hams. What does this mean for us kayakers who want to use a ham rado? Well for starters you will have a much wider range of frequencies available to you without having to learn morse code. The high frequency range is pretty much reserved for upper class licensees now, those who don’t know morse code are limited to VHF. This means you will generally have a longer range available with HF that was not been available to you in the past. I really hope that this thing goes through, because I have always wanted to be able to use the high frequency range, but not bad enough to learn morse code to get it.