Nordkapp evolution listing

The unusual thing about mine was…
…that it had THREE round hatches, all the same size, all on the centerline of the deck.

Early day hatch position
Nigel Dennis claims that he was the first to place the day hatch off center (as well as the first to design a keyhole cockpit in a sea kayak)both in the Romany c.1992

You can still get them

– Last Updated: Mar-21-09 9:06 PM EST –

VSK will build any boat that they have molds for, including older Nordkapps. It's pretty cool that you can get one of the older designs - some of which were superior to their current offerings - with the lighter, higher-quality layups they're now using.

Agreed, bnystrom.
http://coolkayaker1.blogspot.com/2009/01/valley-nordkapp-carbon-kevlar-with.html

Although Valley still makes the classic designs, they are with modern pricing. A fiberglas Valley without mods in 2008 was $3150.

has been true for some time
In 2003 or 2004 in conversation with Tom Bergh, he noted he had ordered an old hull (classic) Nordkapp for a client. Having paddled an original Nordkapp for some time, Tom felt the newer hull was better and was surprised that anyone would want the old hull design. Tom’s 'kapp was affixed to the side of his boat house when we spoke.

A friend has a classic Pintail - flat rear deck, rounder chine, no skeg, ocean cockpit, etc… Do you think one could special order such a Pintail?

1997 was the last year before Jubilee
As your 'kapp is a 1997 and not a Jubilee and I just came across photos and info on a 1998 Nordkapp which is a Jubilee it does appear that the Jubilee was introduced in 1998.

I’ve heard that yes, you can order one
IMO, the original Pintail design is far superior to the “modernized” version, with its fuller bilges and curved aft deck. That’s why they are sought after by Pintail aficionados. If I ever do replace my Pintail, it will either be with the same design or a strip-built version of it.

FWIW, the new AA and Pintail…

– Last Updated: Mar-22-09 11:01 AM EST –

...seem to have been introduced in '95. If you want the best versions of either of these, try to find an older boat. The differences are more pronounced on the Pintail and I feel lucky to have an older boat. Although my AA is the newer design, the only significant difference is the arched aft deck and I can live with it.

The Off center
position of the day hatch allows the drain off to be easier to make.

here is what I did to my wifes 1993 Nordkapp when she informed me she wanted a day hatch instead of a chimp pump…she also wanted it to not stick up above the deck

so I made the cover flush with the deck height.

http://www.geocities.com/roym52/N-Day-Hatch-1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/roym52/N-Day-Hatch-2.jpg

Best Wishes

Roy

easier to access at sea
Off center day hatch is also easier to access when sitting in the boat than one on center.

couldn’t
tell…I don’t own any kayaks that are not mostly awash in anything other than flat benign conditions…so I never bother to put anything I’m likely to need while on the water in there…

Best Wishes

Roy

I’m not that good as to access my

– Last Updated: Mar-24-09 6:55 PM EST –

day hatch when my decks are awash. However, I do keep additional supplies in my day hatch, beyond what fits on my person, that I access during calm conditions.

These include extra fluid, snacks, more elaborate first aid and repair kits, battery back for VHF, GPS, cag, etc...