North Carolina

if you are that flexible

– Last Updated: Feb-19-14 4:10 PM EST –

Then I would agree you are likely to find the Raleigh area more attractive. Charlotte is a bigger city (NC's only true big city, IMO; whether that is a pro or con is up to you) and is closer to the mountains. It still isn't far to the ocean, but far enough that trying to do a day trip would be tough at best. As mentioned, the closest is actually Myrtle Beach, SC. Straight shot, good road and if you go at the right time about 3 hours. Not the best place to paddle though, so to be honest it is more like 4 hours from Charlotte to places you would want to paddle on the coast. From Raleigh, in 2 hours you can get to several in shore river/sound access areas or you could get to the beach at Surf City. Since you have been to Topsail, you know that is sort of cheating to use as the timing point since you will probably go north or south a few miles at low speed, but if you pulled right into the first lot after crossing the bridge, you can actually be out on the beach right at 2 hours. And Surf City, NC is not a big place so that is actually a decent place to stop and walk the beach and you really would just cross the bridge, then stop and park. At Myrtle Beach, you get into traffic with lots of lights the last few miles and there isn't a readily accessible place to park and walk right where you first get to the beach. So comparing the closest beaches is not apples to apples.

Great coastal paddling.
Charlotte is a few hours from the coast, but that probably seems pretty close, being from WI. Between Cape Fear and Cape Hatteras, there are a lot of stretches of undeveloped barrier islands. Look me up if you end up out here and want to check out some coastal paddling.

foothillsoutdoors.org has some information about a race series that would introduce you to some areas.

I’m helping to organize CKC Ocean 14 (through Carolina Kayak Club, previously mentioned), an event for more advanced paddlers to get together on the ocean, and also for training for people just looking to learn the skills needed while sticking to calm water for the event. So paddlers are grouped according to skill levels and desires, and we have talented ACA instructors to lead the way with guidance and training. This is Sept 19 - 21st, at Huntington Beach State Park, Murrells Inlet, SC. It’s just $20 to become a member of Carolina Kayak Club, and $120 to register for the event. Even if it’s the only thing you participate in all year, $140 is still a bargain for 3 nights camping in a maritime forest campground along a beautiful ocean beach, 2 days of ACA guidance and instruction, and just getting together to paddle with a bunch of sea kayakers and/or surf kayakers. But you’ll find plenty more opportunities throughout the year through Carolina Kayak Club. CKC also has a very low cost symposium in June on Jordan Lake. But mostly just paddlers organizing group paddles, both inland and coastal.

So just some more information.

Anyone out there interested in the Huntington Beach State Park event, CKC Ocean 14, Sept 19 - 21st, and you have any questions, let me know. I’m sure we’ll have a good group of skilled paddlers again, and those looking to become skilled open water paddlers,and I’d love to see some of you there.

If you’d go so far as to fly in to get a taste of the warm coastal Atlantic waters of the Carolinas in September (I’ve flown for far worse reasons), it’s just a few miles south of Myrtle Beach, and I could likely find an outfitter to bring an appropriate rental for you.

I am interested in joining y’all
at Huntington in Sept. I’ll have to check as those dates may conflict with the dates for a trip to Colorado. However, I think I will be back by then. I’ll have to check on the dates to be sure.

I have paddled Jordan Lake as well as Falls lake near Raleigh. I just didn’t remember the name when I posted above. If I am correct there were lots of nesting Osprey in the tall pines around the lake at the time I paddled there.

Jordan has lots of eagles
If you Google for it, you will even find a web cam on one of the nests. It is one of the top spots in the country for viewing eagles. I think osprey are there also.

We saw a Bald Eagle
on Lake Jordan, but saw many more Osprey the day we paddled there.

I often see Baldies on both the rivers like the Enoree and Broad and in the marshes of Cape Romain at the coast. Saw one perched on a bird sanctuary sign at Deveaux Bank Seabird Sanctuary while paddling in the Ocean near Edisto Island. I would have loved to had a photo sitting on that sign. If only I had a camera with me.

Got lucky last year and saw an immature Golden Eagle while paddling a canoe on our 3 acre pond. It is rare to see them here. took a picture of that one.

Thanks for the invite.
I am definitely going to check out your invite. It sounds like an awesome time. Could you shoot me an email so I can add you to my contacts on g-mail? I’m very interested in attending this kayaking adventure. Thank-you!

I hope y’all can make it.
I sent you an e-mail rainynights.

I don’t think the web page person has the info up on the non-logged-in page yet. But here’s instructions for registration if you can go.

carolinakayakclub.org

If not currently a CKC member:

Click on “Member Signup” in the menu on the left side of the page. It’s $20 for an annual membership.

Once logged in, click on “Calendar” from that same menu area on the left.

Click the upcoming month name on the top right of the calendar to navigate forward through the months. Once Sept is up, click on “CKC Ocean 14” on the 19th - 21st. There’s information there, and a “Register Now” button on the right.

NC yaking
Heading out in about an hour,i couldn’t ask for a nicer day,71 degrees and no wind,as someone said you really can yak just about year round in NC.Anyone wanna join me i am off too Mt island of Neck road,yellow easky

No place I’d rather have been.
I went for a nice calm ocean run, paddling some distance Saturday morning. Today we surfed at Mason Inlet. Just an ideal day for sea kayak surfing. Nice glassy swells rolling in, and for the most part, gradually spilling breaks. The shoals at the inlets can be so perfect for days like this. That nice green wave forms up a long way off shore. And you have this nice, long ride back in to practice control, edging and changing angles, avoiding the broach, and just enjoying the long rides. As the day goes on, you’re reminded just how long the rides are as you keep paddling all the way back out. Something like a kid finding the longest hill in the county, full of powdery snow for the perfect sledding. You’ll wear yourself thin as a leaf, and be scarcely aware of it for all the enjoyment.

Mountain Island Lake is good paddling,
and there is convenient public access right off of highway 16.