novice in need of opinions

Something easy at first is usally
something you don’t like later as your skills develop. Paddling won’t be fun if you paddle a barge – unless that’s what you want to paddle. It doesn’t matter what you paddle as long as you have fun paddling. Give yourself a little credit that you can learn to paddle and nudge the envelope a little as far as deciding what type of yak to buy. Once you get hooked, it’ll be the first of many purchases. A paddler can’t just turn the trottle for more power, so a craft’s design is important.

So then would you…
Be able to recommend a design that might be a step up from a barge like boat- keeping in mind that its weight must be on the light side… say no heavier than 45 lbs. And cost is a factor which probably rules out fiberglass in my situation unless I’m mistaken that these are more costly.

Thanks for the comments!

~Trish

Trish

– Last Updated: Jul-19-06 7:35 AM EST –

Have you looked at the Tsunami series by Wilderness systems?

I would go with a 14 footer as I think the 12 footer would just frustrate you quicker.

Or you could bite the bullet like I did and skip all that and get a Tempest?

I was paddling an Old Town Rush for a few weeks and went directly to the Tempest..talk about culture shock! But after a couple of weeks..perfect.

Agree with the bulkheads..Immersion gear in Maine would have to be number one priority. A dry suit or similiar would I imagine be the norm?

A lot of these plastic boats are heavier than your 45 lb comment. Makes no difference in the water and if you need to get a cart. don't discount a boat because it is 10 lbs heavier..go for performance.

Paul

One more comment
Trish - I own a Necky Manitou Sport for exactly the purpose you mention in your profile, as well as winding my way up tight little tributaries where no one else can go. It is light. It is comfortable. It tracks well for an 11 footer. It is nimble and actually responds to a lean. It gets up to speed quickly. My husband has a Loon 120 (old version) which feels like a tank by comparison.

If you would decide to go bigger, the Manitou 13 and Manitou 14 are both still below 50 pounds and are sweet boats as well.

Good luck with your decision!

Sue

bought a boat
Hi folks

Thought I would let you know that I tried out a Necky Manitou Sport and decided to buy it. At 10’1" and 44 pounds it will be fine for my purpose which will be primarily paddling solo on lakes for peace and quiet and just plain enjoyment of the natural beauty of the water and surrounding area.

Thanks for all of the comments. I have really found this website helpful, and will probably have additional questions from time to time.

Happy Paddling to all.

~Trish

1 Like

Details Please
Now that you have bought a Manitou Sport, can you give your impressions of the new boat compared to the Loon? How is the speed, stability and comfort in the Necky? Is there any trait you like in the old boat more than the new one? I’ve been considering buying a Manitou Sport for a few months now but have no dealers in my area. I won’t buy another kayak without a test paddle first. Since you now own both, any information you can give will be helpful.

Need some time but sure…
Off the top of my head I am pleased that it has a bulkhead behind the seat and a foam pillar in the bow. First impressions were that it seemed to track better than the Loon 100. It felt lighter when lugging it down to the water as well as putting it up on the roof of my car, even though there is only one pound difference. It’s rained just about every day since I bought it, so I will need some more time before being able to compare much beyond this. Hope this is somewhat helpful. Oh, and it’s 10’11" not 1" as I mistakenly put in my previous post.

I also have an Old Town Loon 100. I use it for getting into tight spots where my Shenai’s can’t turn around easily. The Old Town is excellent for geocaching. Hope you find the boat you like Trish.

I think Trish probably figured this out - 14 years ago.

3 Likes