Novice to circumnavigate Manhattan

Have you heard
Different stroke for different folks?

Just Do It
OK, so, I have had an interesting education about kayaking in a harbor and tidal basin.

Awsome stuff. I think that the most discouraging among you have had the best to offer. I appreciate it.

When I do it, I will not be doing it alone. Also, I wont be doing it on one day. I am more intersted in the expereince rather than simply paddeling. we will plan around tides and days, so we hit it all right.

We will be looking for marinas and beaches to stop in to explore.

Heck, if it takes three days to do, I am good with that. But, I cant imagin that.

So, I have some homework to do.

Thanks for all the support, help and discouragement.

wow, did I find the right place to put this out there.

Now, I have to go talk to my buddy who wind surfs the east river. What kind of nut is he!!! A great guy! A good fisherman as well.

OK, thanks to all. I will keep checking back to see what else might be offered.

Sounds good
Sounds like you’re going about it the right way. Don’t forget a marine radio when you go.

I’m not a city person but still enjoy the NY waterways.

Have fun!

Gary

NYC Circumnavigation

– Last Updated: Jul-20-11 8:31 PM EST –

I've been around 4 (?) times, in the now defunct Mayor's Cup Race. Honestly, this is not a 'Hey, sounds like a fun idea.' trip. You might get lucky and end up with a 'this was hard, but I had a blast' experience. Or you might get flipped in conditions and get battered against the pilings on the East River. If you do choose to have a go, have a go with someone who knows the tides and the potential hazards.

A DEP barge on the East River can throw a 6' refracting wake which you will not expect. Nor will you expect a high speed procession of cigarette boats flying past at 70 mph, nor the bedlam that can be the Battery, with the heliport choppers whipping the water around you into a fine mist, or the entry/exit of the Staten Island Ferry or the water taxis that buzz like bees in and out of the slips. Hell Gate is a whiff in comparison to the above.

The thing about this trip is that if things go wrong, the takeouts are fairly inhospitable.

On an aside, if you would like to experience the mighty Hudson, the river that flows both ways, try the Intrepid Challenge, on September 24th. http://www.achillesinternational.org/kayak/intrepid_challenge

Narrangansett Bay
Great idea. I think I will do this.

Thanks

build up
Sounds like a great trip with a good group. I would just suggest building up. Go out 5 miles a few times, then 10 miles for a while, then 15. Anyone is going to feel 15 miles. I also lead trips and paddle in some pretty extreme conditions. You could practice some rescues before you set out, but even an experienced kayaker would paddle a more often and get geared up for a 30 mile trip.

the Intrepid Challenge
Awsome, Im in!!!

Thanks.

See you on the water!@

Here’s An Option
There’s an outfitter on the water by the Chelsea Piers called Manhatten Kayaks. They have training and tours and a point system that relates competnecy to their tours. They also have an introductory tour of the Manhattan waterway after their paddling basics training. This all can lead up to the Manhattan Circumnavigation tour that they conduct. They can probably guide you through the process and let you know when you are ready. At very least, you will know what you are in for in a very real way. At best, maybe you will go for it. The link is manhattankayak.com

Lou