Numb feet/legs

Numb feet/legs
I’m coming into this one late (it’s a slow day). I recently built a Pygmy Coho. The first paddle utilized the supplied Thermarest seat pad. After 45 minutes I couldn’t feel my legs and darn near fell over trying to get out of the boat. I immediately went online and purchased a Redfish pre-formed seat pad and installed it (keeping the Pygmy backrest). I also moved the footpegs a couple of notches further away so that my ankles were more relaxed: this had the effect of dropping my knees slightly although I could still “wedge” my knees up into the knee pads by just “straightening” my ankles a bit.

Combined with “time spent” in the boat and flexing/stretching exercises, the problem was solved. I don’t think just buying a better seat would solve the problem, nor would “living with the pain/numbness” until you “got used to it” but rather you likely need to attack the problem from several different angles.

I’m 6’4, 62, 215# with a 36" inseam and have sciatica resulting from degenerated discs in my lower lumbar area.

Numb kayaking legs gone
Try a Bumfortable ( http://www.gurneygears.com/bumfortable-kayak-seat ). They’re pretty easy to fit and will relieve the numbness. With a sharp knife you can carve it to suit you if it doesn’t work right out of the box.