Obese kayaker and a floating dock

When I was 23 I was buff and didn’t hurt anywhere unless I was injured. And I cared if I looked stupid in public. None of that’s true anymore. I’m aware I’m not approaching old yet :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Actually we’re all approaching old… unless we’re already old.

Some of us are looking at old in the rear view mirror.

1 Like

So true. When I come into a beach (not a dock) I am better off not getting too far into shallow water (e.g. running my kayak up on the beach). With the deeper water I can extract my feet from the kayak, slip them further toward the stern, get my CG over my feet, and stand up. I can’t do that in shallower water anymore, being over 80 and having my upper body strength diminished.

There must be some sort of rule… one inch deeper of water required to stand up( without toppling) per year over 65. Or two inches?
In the summer I find the exit swim refreshing… AKA the half roll.

2 Likes

Too many variables for a rule … hips OK?, how about knees?, belly fat?, mockery or ovation from witnesses?, etc.

It ain’t pretty, but it’s worth it.

I am past wanting applause from onlookers. That I get in and out of the boat any way possible is the most important.
Bionic parts do influence the method.

3 Likes

If someone says something say SHOW ME.

2 Likes

I groove on the adulation from onlookers when I enter and exit my kayak. Why else would I even bother?

And I have no ‘bionic’ parts, just natural parts slowly breaking down.

I had a good laugh at your autocorrect screw up. :joy::joy: I don’t know if my hubs would appreciate me grabbing his “dock” to steady myself. :joy:

2 Likes

:flushed::scream::flushed: he might.

1 Like

Dock Launch

Nice idea. If adapted with a cam strap with a hook it could be used on different docks that wouldn’t have something permanent to attach to. Slip the hook between deck boards and adjust the length quickly with the cam buckle and do the roll-in. Probably only good with deck boards with space. The solid plastic decks won’t work.

He’s using it with a “KayaArm” product but it may work pretty well on it’s own…

I can’t stand up after awhile in a kayak. My legs are mostly useless until I get my feet on solid ground and then they aren’t great. Genetics are not always your friend. Thankfully, I have friends who are willing to help although I find it embarrassing to ask.

1 Like