Off Beat Solo Canoes

Same for the DragonFly
The WildFire in comparison is much wider at the waterline.

You might even want to consider going to a small tandem like a StarFire. Its currently made by Colden. One probably will show at WPASCR.

But you mentioned the SN is too wide… Perhaps its time to focus on the paddler and development of balance, particularly in those awkward transitions between sitting and kneeling… And I hear you on those. Footwear does count and can make that miserable, impossible or not too hard.

Hemlock Peregrinne, Bells…

– Last Updated: Mar-06-13 6:35 PM EST –

Haven't seen DC's Peregrine or Nomad(past) mentioned. Very nice canoes, along with the smaller Kestrel. Their SRT adds a little more volume, cutting efficiency a little..on flatwater..but still reads ok. Would like to demo an Osprey sometime. Coldens look pretty nice...along with Hemlocks, Placids, and others(US and CAN). My limited experience has been that one often has to check up on the unpaddled's specs and compare with dimensional performance of your own experiences, as CE does when he chimes in from time to time. I haven't read of anything in the canoebuilding industry such as the SIA shows.. Not many being made pre-order these days...y/n? (Charlie..?)

osprey
the swift osprey comes to mind when i read this discussion.a lot of teander-shy people have felt ok in mine-sitting or kneeling. getting feet in an out from under the seat is an issue all by itself.

turtle

yes
I thought the same and agree the Osprey paddles well both sitting and kneeling. But with differential rocker perhaps a bit less nimble than the Wildfire.

Shearwater definitely
You can sit or kneel comfortably and safely.

locking in
Locking yourself in to the WildFire may help you feel steadier. Add a footbrace (a canoe-style bar or kayak-style pedals), and/or add some padding inside or under the rails, so you can brace your knees there.

Also, psychologically speaking, if you have the boat outfitted with float bags, and if you have practiced self-rescue, and if you are carrying equipment to help you self-rescue (like a cheap kayak paddle and a paddlefloat), you might feel less nervous in the boat.

I paddled a WildFire for 11 years, and I can attest it will handle some moderately rough conditions without problems. I weighed maybe 220 pounds at the time. You just need some equipment, skills, and confidence.

Can’t help you with test paddling, unless you want to come to New York City!

Mark

Larger and Off Beat?
There are just a few hulls that have rocker and are more stable than WildFire. Merrimac’s Baboosic, has the same length and significant symmetrical rocker, but is an inch wider at waterline. It’s also kinda heavy, 40 lbs, compared to Colden’s ~30 lb Wild.

Other hulls with wider waterlines are longer, another source of stability, and they all have differential rocker. Swift’s Osprey is 15 by 30 max beam, 27 waterline, can be had under 30 lbs. Bell’s RockStar was/is 15 by 31/28, so more stable yet. Swift’s ShearWater 16.2 ft by 31/28 shares Osprey’s rocker but the length compromises maneuverability.

So there’s the array, one no longer made, two from smaller, off-beat? builders and two more from a major manufacturer. Email me at charliewilson77@gmail.com for a comprehensive list of solo canoe dimensions so you can make your own comparisons.

Does Clipper Canoe represent itself…
…in Chicagoland?

Because, if I recall correctly (I know I do fondly), the 14-foot Prospector they make represented to me (on the only two occasions I was able to paddle the boat, thanks to its loan to Mike McCrea for a Paddler Magazine review), an about 210-lb. and 6-foot tall fellow, a nice marriage of the semi-nimble, semi-lithe, semi-light (at least the 42-lb. or thereabouts Kevlar model was to this fellow used to heft’n about semi-weight 16-to-17-footer glass or Royalex dog-container ships) and reasonably stable 14-footer. A little more ellipticated (Ok, that’s my word) than rounded to bottom (such as the Merri Baboo), it allowed me a slight bit more freedom to remain seated whilst twisting torso for a sternward drybag retrieval, or bobblin’ my potato-n-rock hopper topper madly to port whilst in a muckled-up giggle-fest, something that both the SuperNova and Baboosic had disparaged in dampness on occasions prior. Seated or kneeling, the boat’s symmetrical rocker, though listed at a somewhat timid 1-1/2 inches, afforded quick and easy spins with only a slight amount of lean, making twisty stream rock-dodging an enjoyable exercise. Out on some expansive windy flats of the Susquehanna, she still tracked for me without too many corrective flounder-flails accompanied by weather-names-spun-vain.

Anyway, I enjoyed the boat, wish I could have afforded it then (or now), and I believe, at its listed 14-ft. length, 29" gunnel/29" waterline beams, might be a candidate worthy of your consideration, should one be coming to a neighborhood near you.

TW

I agree
I moved my seat forward one seat width. Paddles much better empty that way.

Interesting thought
I haven’t paddled that boat, but I did see a Clipper 14 Prospector when I toured their facility a couple of years ago. To my knowledge, Clipper has no US dealers. They do have several in Ontario.

If I remember correctly, I believe that Marlin Bayes told me he has a small network of drivers that make deliveries of Clipper boats across the border at intervals, at least to cities in the northern US.

Clippers are well made. For the most part, they are hand laminated, although the foam cores are vacuum bagged, so they are perhaps not the lightest. The Clipper Prospector 14 in the Duraflex layup lists at 44 lbs and I can testify that the Duraflex layup is very tough.

Seems as if the odds of finding one in the Chicago area are low, but if anyone is interested give Marlin a call and he can probably tell you if one was sold to someone there.

off beat solo canoes?
i think this term depends on your location and paddling company. i often paddle in a colden flashfire with a couple of hemlock srts,a moore reverie,more coldens,some placids,a savage river, ect. we rarly have a wenonah along.a relitive term.

turtle

Tx

– Last Updated: Mar-11-13 11:42 PM EST –

I will add it to my list to paddle. Anyone have one to test paddle?

Just looked up the specs.... I like the numbers!

Tx for suggesting!!!

Chicagoland
BTW… Chicagoland = suburb of Chicago.

Offbeat Response
I see your point. But it seems now-a-days, all canoes are “off beat” (let along solo canoes) cause you can’t find any anywhere to test paddle… kayaks as far as the eye can see.

test paddling
the best way to pick a boat is to get connected to a good active canoe canoe paddling group that does your kind of paddling-whitewater,flatwater,tripping ect. in my group we often have newbees along and supply a boat if they don’t have one or a boat they are interested in an want to try. in my experience solo canoers are eager to help interested partys. we also have converted many kayakers this way.it ia also a great way to find local paddling spots.

turtle