OK, One More Time-Wet or Drysuits

Dry? Yes, mostly

– Last Updated: Apr-14-04 2:11 PM EST –

The NB's do seal out water effectively, but your hands will get somewhat damp from perspiration. Carrying an extra pair of liners would eliminate any problems, but I haven't found it to be necessary.

One piece with booties and relief zip
Defintely get waterproof/breathable fabric, too. Do it right once, and you won’t have to do it over. it’ll be cheaper in the long run.

Water Temp vs wet/dry suit
I posted this recently, but I think it’s worth repeating.

Here is a webpage listing wetsuit thickness vs appropriate temperature ranges.

http://www.island-scuba.com/scuba-gear/Equipment-Guide—Wetsuits.html

They note that “Appropriate boots and gloves are also important, for both warmth and protection. When combined together hoods, boots and gloves account for about 30% - 40% of your thermal protection”.

I do a lot of snorkeling wearing a 7mm farmer John with Jacket, hood, gloves and boots, depending on the water temperature.

In colder water, I am comfortable with the whole shebang, but freeze without the gloves, boots, and hood. Especially the hood.

I often wear the jacket most of the summer snorkeling here in Michigan. Why? Even though the water may feel refreshing to casual swimmers, it is amazing how downright cold it can get after an hour or more of constant immersion.

The point is, don’t assume that a wetsuit will keep you warm, and safe, in 55-65 degree water just because that is the low end of the temperature range listed for that suit. Without boots, gloves and hood, you should probably look at the upper end of the quoted temperature range for a more realistic idea of what a wetsuit can do for you.

This is all assuming, of course, that you might end up in the water for a prolonged period of time. Wearing a 3mm wetsuit in 50 degree water will just prolong your suffering if you fall out of your kayak and watch it blow away from you in the ocean.