Ok, Tempest 170 or Tsunami 145?

why, hello there liratoad…
so, I go out with the tape measure and measure the space I have on the side of my house to store this boat. No garage. About 15 feet. So I have since been researching all week for a 15 foot or under boat that will give a true sea kayak performance and fit my price range. I have a list of maybe 5 or so candidates, including P&H’s easky and orca models, daggers specter series, current designs squamish, Northwests Sportee.

(feel a little guilty, like I wasted people’s time with the last thread–but maybe not. It seems the person who started this new thread found the old one useful. )

hey Tacomapaddler

– Last Updated: Jun-07-06 9:02 AM EST –

stop!

you are making up excuses. I have a single car garage that houses a 19.5 ft Skin on frame, an 18 foot Outer Island, a 17 foot tempest, a 14.9 ft Scupper Pro Sit on top, a 8 and a half foot Kea and just recently I had another skin on frame storm boat hanging from the ceiling.
BTW, I also have two computer work stations that I and the kids use daily.

If space is your only concern, forget about it. that will work itself out. YOu wil get creative real fast when you are sitting on the side of your house with two 17 foot boats.

so go get the Tempests already!

sheesh!

Paul

BTW..did I mention my garage is 17 and a half feet long?

Storage issue? Puleeeez!
I keep my nearly 20’ SOF inside in a 400 sq ft apartment shared by two. Landlord lets me keep the rest of the fleet hanging out back off a small outbuilding that’s shorter than some of the kayaks.

You have a HOUSE! You are storing OUTSIDE! How can you possibly not have another 2-3’? Space comes in more than one dimension. Get a bit more creative.

There may be many fine kayaks under 15’ - but no true sea kayaks. If you want something intermediate for now - that’s fine. Buy one an enjoy.

Worse case scenario…
If somehow you really don’t have space (though I agree, it sounds like you’re tricking yourself into not buying the right boat), I really do have a love for the Squamish. It’s small, wide, and kind of slow, but when I used to fit in it, it paddled like a dream and tracked straight as an arrow (even without the skeg, I paddled straight across a choppy bay with a strong wind on my beam with no weathercocking at all).

I think you’ll be able to come up with a few extra feet for storage, though. Get something you’ll enjoy, not something that “will just fit”

Oh, grasshopper
Listen to the wise ones. Don’t go short because of space. You’ll make it fit. And the tempest is only 1 and a half to two feet longer. You can do it!! But whatever you buy, play with it a couple of times. And no, your previous thread was not a waste. We all got on the bandwagon and yes, it will be a source of info for others. But those boat comparison threads for boats of lesser quality don’t usually get so much attention. So all the replies you got should tell you that your original choices were decent ones. Take care and good luck! If you’re ever in central Florida you can paddle my Tempest!

Bet I could find room!
You’re wussing out Tacoma. the comment about not enough space does not sound like it came from you anyway…

paul

Homeowner? Build a shed
My husband built one to house our sea kayaks and the trailer for transporting them.

He is not a professional builder, just an average guy (average carpentry-wise) who agreed on the need for a kayak shed!

We have a garage, but that is for the automobiles. Well, I do keep one kayak in there, too. ;-

well…
I had a paddle class night up in seattle. Wow, wow, wow. Learned how to edge and all kinds of great, fun stuff that’s made my confidence soar. I was in a P&H easky 15 (15 foot, 23.5 beam, hard multi-chined), and by the end of a few hours, true to what everyone said, I felt like I was already outgrowing it. So…this saturday I’ll got back to this wonderful store and take out the tempest 170 again. I’m thinking I can handle it after all, with only a little more work.

But…the storage issue remains. Riot’s Tourlite 15–need to try that. Its specs make it seem like a shorter, but real sea kayak. Also, the shop guys recommended Necky’s Looksha Sport, if I can find one used (its not made anymore) as a great short boat, as opposed to a short tub, which almost all the other boats under 16 feet seem to be (tsunami, carolina 14.5, etc.).

Also this, my friends…I’m the kind of guy that’s gonna want to take whatever boat I get up any little creek I notice when I’m paddling, just to explore and see the critters. A short boat would work better for that, I think.

But… if only I could make a living paddling up the inside passage to Alaska (after I learn a bit more paddling skills). For the first time in my life, I can answer the question: what would you do if you won the lottery?

“only a little more work” now…
… a lot less work later.

Sounds like that class was a good investment.

“Its specs make it seem like a shorter, but real sea kayak.”

Believe what you like.

“…want to take whatever boat I get up any little creek I notice when I’m paddling, just to explore and see the critters. A short boat would work better for that, I think.”

Depends. I (and several others I know) take 17-18’+ sea kayaks through tight mangrove tunnels - some spots tight enough to stow paddle and pull on roots/branches. If you’re talking about creeks narrower than that leave the kayak and step across! If you’re talking water with obstacles then maybe a short boat - much shorter than you’re looking at. Ask any of the creek boaters here.

For some reason, even thought the evidence indicates otherwise, you still seem to want to justify the shorter kayak. Fine, buy one.

Better yet, buy a used one you can sell when (not if) you outgrow it and get all or most of the $ back. Then use that $ to buy a used Tempest. Along the way you can save and research a composite…

thanks lira for the kind invite…
i’ll let you know if i’m down your way!

Justifying the shorter boat
Tacoma, I’ve always been the type that always tries to justify the smaller boat. supposedly lighter, supposedly easier to handle, supposedly takes up less space and supposedly easier to transport. But, i’ve had to face the reality, that a 14 footer has very little advantages over a 16/17 footer in all those departments-unless your garage space really is limited, just got to watch the ends a bit more when swinging it around.

Why not find a used boat as your first,save money,build up skills and maybe next buy a composite in a season or 2. If you like the fit of the tempest 170, you may like fit of the LookshaIV or the Elaho,all 3 fit me about the same( though elaho is the only of the 3 i paddled-i own one) Here in vancouver the L IV’s come up for sale pretty often and usually in good shape and relatively cheap(great shape plastic for a grand less than new, good shape composites for 1500-2000 less than new) I know theyre all rudder boats(unless u find a skeg elaho) but,the price may well be very right and i am yet to touch the rudder drop down rope on my elaho(and tomorrow installing gas pedal footpegs into it)

As for taking the boat into every little hole with water in it. I am the same way and the only annoyance about longer boats is when you catch weeds with your rudder when turning around. I now also own an old river runner with a homemade strap on skeg for little pokey purposes,but i think the benefit of an efficient open water boat FAR exceeds benefit of a short poke around boat in all around use.

thanks rider
good advice. Yes, those are all the things I think about when justifying a shorter boat. However, I’m going up to seattle today to try out the tempest 170. I’ve heard good things about the looksha and elaho, so i will look out to try those too.

I think how this may play out is to get a true sea kayak like the tempest, and then maybe a double seater wide rec boat to poke when I want to take friends out or fish small ponds. I’ll just have to put some brackets up along side my house for storage.

Don’t see may elahos or lookshas come up on the boards down here though.

so you’re on the van island? that’s so cool.

Use Hoist
I have a 2 car garage and keep 5 kayaks on the celling with celling hoist. When I want to use them just lower them on the car rack.