On the water day hatch usage ???

NDK Hatches
I found that my NDK day hatch sinks. Not a good thing if you are “out there” and lose it. I drilled a small hole in the outside rubber lip and added a small line to secure it to the boat. Now no more worries :slight_smile:

Yup
I just went and tethered everything. Even a hatch cover that floats can get knocked off the deck, and try to find that in fading light… someone used to make great emergency hatch covers for most sizes except some of the ovals, neoprene with a good bungee. I have a couple, but if I lose those I’ll have to make up my own.

all the time (ndk hatch)
I use mine all the time. In conditions sometimes I have to brace by laying the paddle across the coaming and holding it down with one hand. But beyond that, anything in there wouldn’t be any easier to get to unless it were on deck. I keep my camera, lunch, extra wear, gloves, etc in there unless they are on my person.

A bit of 303 on the underside helps the hatch slide off the rim easier.

Doesn’t Reed still make those? NM

NDK day hatch sinks.
You must have a fairly new boat. NDK used to use Valley hatches for the day compartment and they float. In recent years they’ve gone to Kajak-Sport (as they’ve used for years for the other 2 compartments). Kajak-Sport hatches sink.

That being said, I think tethering is a good idea. I’ve always tethered my hatch covers and my 2008 Nordlow came with all the hatch covers tethered.

Use mine all the time
Kajak Sport Artisan Millenium, it’s on the starboard side with a rubber hatch that’s easy to remove and put back on.

Thanks
Mine are no longer, these don’t look like the ones I have. But they look just as good. I appreciate the tip… now I don’t have to get the sewing machine fixed. (yet) :slight_smile:

day hatch access whilst underway
both my Romany Explorer and Valley Pintail have a day hatch, with its own bulkhead. the hatch opening is on the starboard (right) side behind the cockpit. I have no trouble at all opening, accessing the contents and closing the hatch while holding my paddle and floating with no contact. i do recall, before i was as confident a paddler as i am am now, that there was some trepidation with reaching back to use the day hatch. heres a test: sit in your boat, floating with no contact; look straight up for 15 seconds, without looking ahead turn your body so you can see behind you; then look down at the stern deck. if you can do this without feeling ‘wobbly’ then you will have little trouble or uneasiness accessing your day hatch. it is something i could not do without, i love a day hatch almost as much as i detest the ‘yard sale’ of items stored on the foredeck.