One Boat Quiver? (Sea Kayaks)

not really
you can do a lot of outfit the cockpit to make it fit you once you found the boat that has the performance characteristic you like.

nonsense
That’s an artificial measure. If you outfit an Explorer to fit a light, small person they will be too high above the waterline.

To say any one crit is “what really matters” is false and misleading.

Can you read?
Re-quote the first sentence of my post which you were responding:

“…weight is what matters.”

Your assertion: “sitting too high on the water” is exactly a WEIGHT matter, not a fit matter.

and you’re being simplistic
There is no one factor that “matters”. You can pad a boat to fit you. Any boat. That doesn’t mean it will handle well with a smaller paddler at the helm.

You can also cut out the front bulkhead or foredeck to fit feet that are too large for a given kayak. If you think “weight is what matters”.

You can also raise the seat in a kayak too large for a small kayaker. If you think “weight is what matters”.

Face it: you took a simple minded stance and now you can’t back away from it.

You’re so wrong!
“You can pad a boat to fit you. Any boat. That doesn’t mean it will handle well with a smaller paddler at the helm.”

If the WEIGHT is appropriate, the boat WILL handle properly.

“You can also cut out the front bulkhead or foredeck to fit feet that are too large for a given kayak. If you think “weight is what matters”.”

That was exactly what I said, some tall and skinny or short and heavy paddlers will have to find alternatives. Still, they have to found boat of the right weight range first.

And yes, they can alter the boat to fit them. In the white water world, that’s what many did. And as a result, there’re now a lot more options for paddler of different sizes. A lot more option than in the sea kayak side.

“You can also raise the seat in a kayak too large for a small kayaker. If you think “weight is what matters”.”

And indeed this has been advised many times right here in this forum!

Though to be precise, I think you mean SHORT kayaker, not “small”. Because a “small” kayaker would be too light for a big kayak.

You don’t have proper understand the fitting of kayaks. You are the one talking nonsense.

For Me … I’m Group 2…

– Last Updated: Sep-26-11 11:35 AM EST –

The Tempest 165. Why? Because it does everything pretty good. It's fast enough to keep up. Nice compromise of turny and tracky. The skeg controls weathercocking most of the time. It's plenty stable but still rolls nicely.

I'd like to paddle an Anas Acuta with a keyhole cockpit. I'm thinking it might be a 'one boat quiver' contender also.

Composite Perception Eclipse 17 / Sea
Lion works well for group 2. I’m 5’6" and 160 lbs and this boat has worked better for me and my paddling activities than my kevlar QCC 400X, Eddyline Nighthawk 16 or Eddyline Merlin 13.5. The 400X is too loose a fit on me and the 400X, Merlin 13.5 and Nighthawk 16 all track too hard for my preference.

The kevlar Perception Shadow 16.5 works well for many in group 1.

Zephyr
155 or 160 depending on your size and weight.

Tarpon 160 would be for heavyweights
The Tarpon 160 is boat I am thinking of selling, But If I had to use only one boat I would keep it. It paddles very well in flat water and handles chop very well going downwind.

IT sails great, surfs OK for a 160 footer, fishes great and is really really comfortable. Except for fishing and sailing I have other boats that do most of these things a little better.

Thank goodness I can have more than one boat!

"surfs OK for a 160 footer"
You must get very big surf!

the ‘TRUE’ WS Tsunami!