One ounce?

Need colored car wrap and or solas tape tape on black paddles.

2 Likes

I have a 60 degree feather so some tape will always be showing when the paddle floats. But these particular 3M stickers don’t take well to bends, so the ones on the handle are starting to come off - try something else.

Blockquote watched a guy lose his paddle in a rapid on the Suwanee River. They capsized in mid rapid and I was downstream. It seemed like it took me forever to find that black paddle and return it.

And this is why paddle leashes exist.

1 Like

And higher vis blades.

I have Solas tape on my black blades so power boaters can see them.

I just don’t see the sense in using expensive carbon blades when you’re poking around rocks, shallow rivers, etc. And I see even less sense in having black plastic blades with no real added functionality other than making people think they’re more expensive than they are.

1 Like

It’s a matter of perspective, and more reason to realize one paddle doesn’t work for all. New members looking for the right paddle should consider the paddling environment Light weight helps with long duration trip and high cadence, less so when the paddle is used to wedge off rocks and obstructions. Where swing weight is less important, heavy fiber reinforced plastic blades might be a better option. The creases and furrrows on the blade that could interfere with smooth water flow at high cadence might actually be desireable to strengthen the blade from impact damage.

Don’t judge a paddle solely on weight or price. Werner has a caveat on the Ovation, which is a more expensive, lighter version of the Kalliste. The warning reads that light weight is achieved at the expense of strength. Not a problem for a less vigorous paddler. It has less to do with cost than with suitability - a paddle is no good if it snaps during a trip, even if you light cigars with $100 bills.

My take is pretty much the opposite although I know the devil is in the details. In my experience even lightweight carbon fiber paddles are much tougher than many people assume and heavier lay-ups that use carbon fiber (like the Zaveral Recreation) are made for abuse. I’ve severely damaged 2 lightweight carbon fiber paddles in 30+ years and I’m happy to replace a paddle every 10-15 years if that enables me to always use my favorite paddles. I’d guess that every (paddler+paddle+paddling venue) puts different demands on a paddle but my take is that it may be good to test the limits of your equipment (test to failure) so you have some “feel” for the limits plus the limits may be higher than you think.

Although specifics differ between manufacturers, it’s safe to say the consensus is that carbon reinforced blades, in addition to being at the high end of the price scale, are lighter, stiffer and more brittle than glass reinforced blades. Both can work well under most conditions. While I might not choose to paddle rocky rivers with a carbon paddle, I would not tell you or anyone that you shouldn’t use your favorite paddle as you wish.

Heres your pink reflective tape

1 Like

Love the gator etching.

Thanks, I used a photo I took in the Everglades in 2013 as the basis for the woodburning.

1 Like

I’m a fan of lightweigh carbon paddles for long open water trips, and I don’t worry about the price. However, I would just be more comfortable using a heavier plastic blade in the harshee white water environment. If money is no object, then without debate, get the lightest, strongest paddle you can afford. Sizing is more critical. If it breaks, buy a new one.

Capture

1 Like

For day to day and short hauls I use my Carbon/Polypro paddles (shaft/blade) for these I like my Accent Kuiai. If Im on longer runs, I’ll use my Aquabound Whiskey Carbon/Fiberglass paddles unless there’s rocks

For racing i want Carbon/Carbon. Blades be dammed. I thought the Ikleos would be the be all for me, but the fact that the blades are buoyant messes me up that it’s a detriment, its also just a bit too much surface area my Ideal is about 650sqcm so no more Ikleos, I guess I’ll put it up for sale since my son has the same issue as I do with the blades being buoyant.

as soon as I can find a Carbon/Carbon at 650 that’s what I’ll be targeting to use for races.