O'Neil Drysuit vs Kokatat vs 4/3 Wetsuit

Thank you, Clyde!
I wanted to thank you for posting this link, Clyde. I am new to kayaking, and especially cold-weather kayaking. I have yet to actually experience accidental immersion and hope to do my best to avoid experiencing it. Having never experienced cold-water immersion, I had no idea how truly dangerous and life threatening it can be. Sure, I’ve been warned about it and know to try and avoid it, but never really had a good understanding of just how dangerous it is or the real reasons why it’s so dangerous.

Reading through the site that you linked to above, I now have a new-found respect for the dangers of cold water. I now understand why everyone on P.net who responds to my posts is so adamant about proper cold water immersion protection. If P.net had sticky posts that could be pinned to the top of the forums, a link to that site should be included as required reading for all new paddlers!

Thank you.

4/3mm wetsuit isn’t that warm
…for winter paddling in cold regions such as yours. I used to have one (briefly) that I wore while practicing a few rolls in late autumn in Colorado. A drysuit with proper insulating layer(s) underneath is warmer.

You could bump it up to a 5mm wetsuit but make sure it fits well. You won’t have as much versatility in varying insulation underneath (as with a drysuit), though. Inherent difference in snug fit vs. baggy one.

Wool would work well

– Last Updated: Nov-13-14 3:47 PM EST –

Wow, all four words starting with W!

Seriously, wool insulation is fine under a drysuit, as is good, wicking synthetic clothing. The question boils down to four main factors:

* Price--good wool is more expensive than good synthetic of the same warmth category.

* Comfort--Merino wool is smooth enough even for my skin, but apparently not for all people. It wicks a bit slower than synthetics but also remains nicer-feeling when damp, so IMO this difference erases itself (YMMV).

* Smelliness--No mistake about this one; wool doesn't get nearly as stinky after use as synthetics do. The difference only worsens with more days of use without washing.

* Ease of care--Synthetics are easier in that (a) you machine wash and dry as with normal non-cotton clothing and (b) moths leave it alone. Merino wool maintains its characteristics better by hand-washing with NikWak Wool Wash and either flat-drying or machine drying on warm (NOT on hot!). Unfortunately, moths love to eat wool, and any repairs are bound to look like sh*t.

I use both types of underlayers for kayaking as well as for other outdoor activities. The fact that they work great for lots of sports softens the expense of having many choices at my disposal.

Oh, yeah...whatever you choose, do not wear cotton as insulation beneath any shell that will get sprayed, rained, immersed, or otherwise wet. That includes working hard enough to sweat even a little bit.

It isn’t how long you will live…
but how long your head and your hands will work well enough for you to get out of the water via a self-rescue or a swim. Once you are mentally done or unable to make your hands do anything, unless you get lucky with unexpected company you are not going to reverse things.

People think about the medically dead time frame without realizing the period of functionality is much shorter as the water temperature drops.

Kokatat is an exception to "limited life
You said in your post “Given most of this stuff has a limited life probably would a less expensive dry suit be better for just casual use…”.

Well, I just sent a 7-yr old Kokatat GMER drysuit back to have gaskets replaced and they noted it had some delamination around the zipper causing leaks (which were practically unnoticeable to me) and they are sending me a brand-new suit, completely free of charge including shipping. Apart from totally standing behind their product long-term, the drysuit itself has been fantastic - breathes well and is comfortable in a wide range of weather. I wear it a lot even when the water temps don’t require it because it cuts the wind but still breathes well.