Open boater goes flat!

Advantage
The Advantage is a thoroughbred and thoroughbreds can be fussy. I haven’t paddled an Advantage for some years. At one time I rented one for a multiday trip in the Boundry Waters area and paddled it with a moderate load on some sizable lakes. But at the time I weighed about 160lbs.

Years ago, there were fewer excellent solo flatwater designs than now, or at least, a lot fewer then that I was aware of. The Advantage was a standout for paddlers with some experience, carrying not too much weight, who wanted to cover distance.

Its possible that if I had an Advantage now, that I wouldn’t like it as much, and it certainly would not be my choice for paddling with a large load. I think a boat like the Prism is much more predictable and comfortable under those circumstances, and gives up only a little efficiency. And I also suspect that the Advantage is more adversely affected by large loads and large paddlers. The folks I know who have enjoyed their Advantages the most have been significantly under 200 lbs.

I think a large paddler who wanted a boat with a great deal of efficiency that is capable of carrying a load should consider the Voyager, although, in my experience, the Voyager can also be “fussy” in the wind (moreso for a light paddler).

Voyager very fussy in wind with light
paddler. It’s like a sail with me in it. It’s much deeper than the Advantage.

I’ll choose a different boat than the Advantage, if it’s very windy.

Grasse River…
I own both a Wenonah Voyager and a GRB Classic XL. I haven’t paddled the Voyager since I bought the Classic XL.

The Classic XL is faster than the Voyager, and can easily carry me (230Lbs) and 40 lbs of gear. It might be a little big for you at 175, but you might consider the Classic.

http://grbnewmandesigns.com/classicxl.htm

Bell Magic
So far nobody has had much good to say about the Bell Magic,

should I not consider this boat? It is kind of hard to demo boats where I am located, so I am kind of shooting in the dark. BTW, thanks for all the input!

Magic
The Bell Magic is a great canoe. Somewhat more oriented toward sit and switch paddling on flatwater, but still retaining fair maneuverability. All the boats discussed above are good canoes.

Just tossing in my opinions

– Last Updated: May-23-09 1:20 PM EST –

of the Wenonah Advantage, Prism and Voyager.

From what the OP asks for, the Advantage would seem to be the best choice.

I have two Advantages (UL and a carbon/kevlar) and a Voyager. I have owned a Prism in the past.

I also am rather heavy, maybe 275 lbs.

For day paddling, the Advantage is by far my first choice and at least for me paddles quite well in the wind. I had mine out yesterday in very heavy winds (over 25mph at times according to a weather station near where I was paddling). I had no real problems from the wind other than feeling like I was going backwards a couple times paddling into it.
I find it to be a great all around canoe, but wouldn't use it for tripping myself, but for a lighter person it would do just fine.
I Had a Prism briefly and found it got blown around more and for day paddling it didn't do anything better than the Advantage.

I also have a Voyager which is really a tripping boat. I have recently fitted it with a Cooke cover which has made huge improvements in it's handling in the wind. When it's empty but covered it still gets blown around more than the Advantage, but not much more. Without a cover, paddled empty it's a windsock, and really needs some weight in the stearn. It's a tripping boat. It's intended to have gear piled in the stearn and the seat is positioned in the boat for that.

I paddled the same river again today in the Vaoyager empty but covered. It was moderately windy today, but not as bad as yesterday and it handled quite well.

I love the Voyager for paddling loaded, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a day paddle. I still take it for day paddles where I am going to cover a lot of distance like I did today.

The Advantage and Prism are easy to paddle fast, and easy to just poke around in.
The Voyager is easy to paddle fast, but is more of a slug if your just poking around.

The Voyager responds better to leaned turns than the others, or maybe just feels more stable leaned over farther. The Voyager has a LOT less initial stability than an Advantage or Prism, but the secondary stability is excellent.

Grasse River

– Last Updated: May-22-09 10:47 PM EST –

Davbart mentions the Grasse River Classic above. I would suggest looking into one of those also.

I bought my carbon/kevlar Advantage a few weeks before Canoecopia this year, and wished I had waited as I think I would have bought a Classis XL instead after looking it over. I haven't paddles one.

I had already put some miles on the new Advantage in the mean time in SW Florida on my vacation there this March. I was really happy paddling the Advantage and my Sundowner (a tandem with very similar charicteristics to the Advantage) in Florida. I had previously used my Klepper folding kayak on my annual trips in the past.

I’ve never paddled…
the Bell Magic, so I can’t give you any input on that one.

When I was looking, I ran into the same dilemna that you are. Not very many boats around, but I put a thread on here asking if someone had the boat I was looking for (the GRB Classic XL), and if they were willing to allow me to paddle it. Someone, I can’t remember who, responded and allowed me a test paddle. He was in the Atlanta area.

I have a Lotus BJX in the classifieds
that would fit your desire if you want to kneel. Designed for Everglades tripping…16 feet, narrow, fast, seaworthy, delta form hull and just plain beautiful. Don’t see them reviewed or discussed much as they are no longer available. Email me for pics if you think this would work for you.