Open boater w/ an opened mind

single blade
From a beginner in canoe technique and a kayaker for many years, I just recently ordered a 10 oz zre paddle to find out if it was any better than using my kayak paddle with the canoe. Last weekend I was able to keep a nice relaxed 3.5mph pace with the canoe paddle for 10 miles and loved it. I am better with the kayak paddle but was really impressed at the cadence you can keep to switch sides and the power that a canoe paddle can generate, especially an ultralight one. Imagine if I had flawless technique! I would say, keep an open mind and try both.

Craig—I’m a sitter. I found that
reaching my cross strokes was difficult with a single blade, so I switched to a kayak paddle. I paddle a Mowhawk Odyssey 14 which lends itself to my kaynoe style. Years ago, I tried a single blade in a Dancer kayak. It was fine on flatwater, but I wasn’t as quick with manuevering in classI-III. I was in good shape at that time, but flexibility has always been a problem for me. It can’t hurt to experiment.

I think by the time we pass the half century mark, we aren’t as hindered by what other people think we’re supposed to do. If I listened to everybody, I would have given up the idea of doing a lot of stuff that has kept me active and able. Do what works for you and I hope you can paddle into the next century of life.

BTW, I love my Mowhawk! Thanks for your years of service.

Pam

I like my DBCP but never could solve
the knee pain problem. Since I didn’t like to paddle a canoe seated, I reluctently went to a kayak. Creating a potential health problem to paddle is foolishness.

AMEN! (NT)

Just curious
When you said that canoes and kayaks are two different kinds of boats it reminded me of an earlier question I had; is the Krueger boat considered a canoe or a kayak? I would tend to not think of it as a canoe, although I personally would never consider using a kayak paddle with it due to the geometry (width and relative height of deck, etc.)

Just curious.

anyone ever use a double blade
in an outrigger? I’d imagine the ama (uma, unu,(?)) would have to be adjusted.

If not, why?

I backed up everything I said with
facts. You are calling marathon races “short”? You are unwilling to admit what we both know, that solo marathon kayakers post lower times than solo marathon canoeists?

You are being very evasive. You type a lot, seldom say anything based in fact, and are mainly just talking up your own paddling style and your admiration for Verlen Kruger.

I regard my initial statement as thoroughly established. If one wants to drive a boat against a strong current, or down a 1000 meter course, or over a marathon distance, then a kayak paddle is going to do the job better. And I say that as one who far prefers canoes for routine use. As for Verlen Kruger, his life proved (or disproved) his own ability and wisdom. I would agree with you that for all day paddling under less than atrocious conditions, I might prefer a bent-shaft canoe paddle to a kayak paddle. But I don’t have any rational reason for doing so, because I think I could become able to do the job better with a kayak paddle.

You need to apologise because you dissed my knowledge and ability without knowing anything about me. And you know you did that.

Baldpaddler and Wickerbutt are WRONG!
I paddle canoes and kayaks, have used both single and double paddles in each, and

I AM NOT BETTER LOOKING!

There. I funked up both sides of the argument.

Jim

Wow guys,
this has really been fun! This thread just goes to show how diverse paddle sports really are. So many opinions, and for the most part, none of them are wrong. Thanks again.

Nicer to watch
I’ll come out right now and say something with absolutely no facts or extensive experience to back it up with: Watching a good single blade paddler is liking watching a ballet, watching a good kayaker is like watching someone dig a hole. Ha ha, this is fun! ;>)

which end of the
kayak paddle do you use to kedge yourself out of the mud? Think kedge is the word, if not , I’ll apaologize(sic) in advance.

John… are you going to give a real
response to my assertions of fact, or are you going to keep implying that I am an inadequate person because I had the guts to challenge you? My assertion remains unchallenged. Kayak paddles are more effective than canoe paddles for driving through the water.

You have kept shifting your own position, apparently in an attempt at damage control. By now, all you are saying is that you paddle long distances, and you prefer a canoe paddle. This might be true for Greg Barton, also. But it does not change the fact that the kayak paddle has been proven superior in every situation where the issue has been driving the boat forward.

Stop squirreling around and putting me down. Everyone on this board already knows all my faults and virtues. You are going to have to go back to your original post and own up to the FACT that you said I was a guy who did not know what he was talking about, because you could not “goggle” me on the internet.

Deal with the factual issues. Quit dodging.

You have been weighed in the balance, and found wanting.

virtues did I hear virtues?

Two, at least.

Keelhauled… Maybe I will see you on
the Nanty. After so much c-1 and oc-1 paddling, I’m sure I can, and you can, manage a ww kayak with a short single blade, especially an “old school” WW kayak that has more willingness to track. I still doubt that you would make a career of single-blading in ww kayaks, because soon you will find that getting back up to playspots is much easier with a double blade. It has taken me many years to develop enough single-blade power to drive upstream against the current. It’s much easier in my kayaks.

How long does this go for?
You say you backed everything up with facts? Let me recap your original post.

‘’’ I can easily use a single blade in a kayak. But, not a dancer!?! Not a design worth preserving.

But kayak paddles are definitely superior. You can drive upstream in powerful currents with a kayak paddle. You can surf more effectively in ocean waves. Verlen Kruger was wrong. Kayak paddles are superior whenever forward drive is the goal.”””

You said Verlen Kruger (man in the Canoe hall of fame) was wrong and did not back it up with any facts. What are people supposed to think when an unknown and unnamed person posts something like that? Sure you scrambled to come up with facts after I called you out. Lets just take the two largest rivers in America, the Mississippi river and the Missouri river both time world records are held by canoes. Remember Verlen paddled UP the entire Colorado River. Don’t you think he would have used a kayak paddle if it were so much more superior than a canoe paddle? No one can say either paddle is superior in all cases with every boat.

“”You need to apologise because you dissed my knowledge and ability without knowing anything about me. And you know you did that.””

Maybe I did jump to conclusion about you, but you can’t say I dissed you based on not knowing “anything” about you. I dissed you based on the fact you said Verlen Kruger a hall of famer, the man who paddled more than anyone in the world, and designed a boat that has more world records than any other hull design(all with a single balde) and Verlens boats have traveled further than any other hull design ever made. Hmm lets see than you come on and just make a blanket statement without even giving your name or experience. Really what is someone supposed to think. All the facts you say you put forth were AFTER you got called out. One thing I have leaned in life is so many people say this and that about things they really don’t know much about. You sounded like one of those people in your original post and I responded accordingly. I am not saying you “are” one of those people, but you sure sounded like one.

Verlen is proven you are not. Verlen said the canoe stroke was more efficient than a kayak stroke and he proved it with world record after world record and went on to break the world record for paddling more than any person in the world. That in itself does not prove the single blade is more efficient than a double, but it counts for something.

Then there is you who makes a statement saying Verlen is wrong and won’t even give your name and fail to even give facts until you get called out. You say you’re experienced, but guess what people say lots of things. That is why it is better to look at what someone has actually done as opposed to what they claim to be or have done.

John Latecki Jr

Half The Paddle
Twice The Paddler…

Sorry, couldn’t resist…

Jack

Lot of interest in this thread
On the ugly, nasty B & B board

Blades Are For Sissies
I thought it was time the Poling Contingency spoke up.

For upstream speed in mild WW I would argue that ‘Big Stick’ is the most affective method.

You would need a bloody long pole
For the sea.