Open Water SOT

I Was Into “Fast” SOTs
I spend a lot of time, and a good deal of money, looking for a “fast” SOT.

I had the 16’ fiberglass Seda Revenge, the 16’ Fiberglass Heritage Nomad, and still have the Kevlar 18’4" HopOnTop 18 AKA Heritage Shearwater.

Back then I was paddling with mixed groups that included touring SINKs. Now I just paddle with family, or maybe TsunamiChuck, and I don’t need a fast boat to keep up with anyone.

I have reverted to 13’-14’ plastic SOTs because they are easier to handle, on, and off the water. My latest ride is a Disco, but I had to lose 30# to make that work for me. I am down to about 185# now, and that is about the limit for that boat.

Do not confuse “fast” and “efficient”. A boat doesn’t need to have a lot of potential hull speed to be cruise effciently at 3-4 MPH. In that range, its more about hull design.

Making It "Easier to Handle…"
The thighstraps allow me to shoulder carry the Disco (and even the Scupper Pro) down to the beach and back – almost like a waveski… (a VERY heavy one). I also installed webbing handles (encased in vynyl tubing) right at the middle (balanced) section of the SOT. These make/allow for a relatively easier lift on and off the car racks because of the surer and more balanced grip/handle on the boats.

I have finally reached this point, too
I bought my first SOT this summer - a CD Altura - and I probably won’t look back. It’s just so much easier to use and so much more versatile - for me, anyway. YMMV.

Jen-

– Last Updated: Aug-18-09 11:31 PM EST –

I concur with most of the previous models mentioned, with the definite exception of one, and the possible exception of another.

I'd flatly drop the suggestion of the Cobra Expedition. It's a big SOT at around 18', it's a bear to turn -even with the absolutely needed rudder! -and it takes on water through its strange stopcock scupper, which is controlled open vs. closed, by the paddler from the cockpit. Besides length, size-wise it's also fairly heavy at around 65 pounds or so. I don't think it's much besides a relatively go-fast straight-line boat. Greyak pinned the tail on the donkey for this model, above.

The Tarpon is a good SOT, but like the Exped, above, it, too, is also a big, heavy SOT at 16' and around 65 pounds. But unlike the Expedition, it has much better manners, while also being fairly fast. Personally, I don't appreciate the T160 because the seating area is more like sitting on a flat table than in a kayak seat, and I'd already gotten used to a smaller, more maneuverable, and far better-fitting Scupper Pro Tankwell seating arrangement when I tried the T160 out... Friend String is a tall, big fellow, and the T-160 fits him better than most. So this one, while not eliminated, is -at least for me -a more marginal a selection.

The OK S-Pro TW (or no TW) and the RTM Tempo are basically the identical boat. Both are excellent open-water paddlers -they can handle the ocean just fine, and they can also handle calm waters fine as well, and are even more maneuverable than other similarly-sized SOTs because they run a bit more rocker (fore-aft keel-bottom curvature) than most -but are still long enough to track well most of the time. I fit it well, and at 6-0, ~200-210#, it fits me comfortably as well.

RTM Discos are good boats well-suited to people smaller than me; I found the boat sluggish in a light breeze even on flat water.

The Kazkasi Pelican & Skua models are probably the best fast-touring 'regular' SOT designs out there for speed as well as handling big water. I really liked the Skua when I tried it -not only is it a fast boat, but can be handled more like a SINK with edging & cutting turns, and they not only handle big water, they were designed for it. In the hands of a competent paddler, they're very much the equivalent of a higher-performing sit-inside. That said, they're glass, not plastic, and so are commensurately more costly, and they're narrower than most SOTs, and show a bit less primary (i.e., static/standing still) stability even as they exhibit fine secondary (i.e., dynamic, or stability in conditions and when under way). If you can afford one, and will work a bit to accommodate yourself to its balance, you'll be rewarded with a fine ride and pace anyone you run into not named Greg, Oscar, or Canunut...

Now there's a whole other class of SOTs out there called surf skis, but most are tippier than most SOT-ers want -or to be truthful, have the ability -to handle. But if you have a good sense of balance, you aren't particularly interested in maneuvering twisty creeks or making sharp turns in general, and you want a boat that was designed for BIG water (think offshore Hawaii and South Africa) and you want to go fast, these are, or could be, for you. Huki, Epic, Futura are 3 makes to consider here...

A final word of caution: you note you'd like to cruise "at a reasonable pace". We (my wife & I) ended up in SINKs after we paddled many times with SINKers and struggled to keep up on several occasions, even when the SINK crew was being nice and not going particularly fast. Ordinary SOTs will have a tough time keeping up in many situations -we're both strong, we both paddled Scuppers, and on one outing we both just plain got left behind by a less fit (shall we say "overweight"?) in one case, and in another case, a woman who was in her later 60s (oh, but NOT old!), both of whom later said it wasn't a difficult paddle at all. For us in SOTs, it was.

Don't forget "The Rest of the Story", either:

1) Decent (good to better) paddle, and perhaps a spare;
2) Good (i.e., comfortable, so you'll actually WEAR it!) PFD;
3) A good transport (i.e., permanent rack) system.

But all that aside, you sure CAN have a lot of fun in an SOT -and see, I haven't even changed MY handle even after paddling my fine Valley Aquanaut for a couple years. Just be sure that YOU are happy with you're choice and I'm sure you'll happily

-Frank in Miami

ScupperFrank
Appreciate the feedback, and you’re certainly right about “relative speed”. I actually have a small SinK, and it’s significantly faster than my SOT. I don’t expect to match SinK speeds, just something faster than my Tarpon 100. While I love this little boat, and the fact that it really excels in it’s intended purpose, speed is not its forte.

I think I’ve pretty much settled on the OC Scupper Pro. I like the Tarpon 160 very much, but I can’t get past the weight issue. So, unless someone tells me that the Scupper Pro won’t be any faster than my Tarpon 100, I’ll probably pick one up within the week.

Regards…jen

Heritage makes great SOT for open water
you can find deals on their older composite models that are 15/16/17/18’

paddles VERY well!

the company used to be called HopOnTop

skiis can leak
Before you buy, shove it under water for a minute or 3. Can you hear water slopping around inside?

Heritage “open water” SOTs
Alas! Heritage no longer makes SOTs suitable for open water touring or play. You’ll have to find them used. Older composite versions were sold under “Hop on Top” brand name

Shearwater (aka Hop on Top 18) 18’(composite only)

Sea Dart 17 (aka Expedition) 17’ (composite & poly)(not be be confused with the Cobra Expedition SOT)

Nomad (aka Hop on Top 16) 16’ (composite & poly)

Sea Dart 14 (aka SeaDart) 14’ (poly & a few rumoured composites)

The Sea Dart 14 & 17 also had “fishing versions” (poly only) called the Fisherman Pro 14 & 17

Define “great”
“Great” in concept and on paper, sure. “Great” as far as looks and weight goes, yup. Great as far has handling goes? Can’t say so myself.

I have to wonder if some posters have experience with these in even minimally challenging “open water”, or if they’re just vicariously living the legend.

Shearwater in particular can be a handful in chop and particularly quartering stuff - on even samller inland waters. As texture increases, the “sponsons” are in the water more and speed suffers (advantage - SINK). Stability can too as alternate sides are affected - exacerbated by relatively high seat position. It also gets to be more and more of a bear to control as it’s pitched, pushed and pinned by wave action (you just can’t “work it” as easily as a SINK without consequence - again, advantage SINK), and maneuverability can get poor with that long a waterline. A rudder or at least an adjustable skeg would help (skeg in limited scenarios - as it could make many worse too. I’d put a ski type pedal/understern rudder system on if I had one now - for safety! It’s more surf ski than not - and not a very good ski. Again, advantage SINK). It’s high sharp narrow cockpit sides can also complicate remounts. Remount comfort/ease is a bit of a personal thing on some levels - and it might be easy enough for some - but it was clearly not designed with this in mind (for me my Tarpon was easy in even short steep waves, Shearwater a pain on flat - the usual easy of rescue attributed to SOTs is greatly reduced here. I can cowboy my SINK more easily - so yet again, advantage SINK even on the thing most widely touted as the SOTs “advantage”. If you can roll - or are willing to learn - a no brainer.

Shearwater/Hop-On-Top does have some nice attributes, and was fun to have one for a while, but not my “open water” choice by a long shot. It’s the SOT helped me see the light and transition to SINKs for touring/open water. I’d still get another SOT (not in either camp as far as that goes, I just use what works) - but mission specific to a wave ski for surfing, another Tarpon 160 for fish/swim stuff, or a surf ski for go fast paddling.

Holy Grail multipurpose “sea kayak” dimensioned SOT quest is now long ago abandoned as they’re all too often to kayaks what hide-a-beds are to furniture (really heavy couch+uncomfortable bed) - ie worst of both worlds. A few exceptions, but very few and none stellar or commonly available (or even good enough to beat out available SINK choices for that range of performance). More points for the Tarpon 160 here as even though wide and heavy it was easy to keep up with or pass SINKs with and put a lot of miles on. Shearwater was faster and lighter, but inferior in all other ways and not the trade-up I’d been assuming it would have been.

Yesterday
I had to cross a 3 mile stretch in strong winds (up to 35mph)with big lake whitecaps. Once again my OK Prowler 15 was up to the task. What an arm burner that paddle was! I had the P15 loaded with camping gear and my smaller Border Collie (with pfd on) riding on top of gear in the rear well. I have had this yak in 10-12’ ocean swells and while a little scary at times, it has always got be back safe. I have paddled the Tarpon 160 and while it has slightly better top end speed than the P15, it is less stable and as it sits higher and tends to get blown around more than the P15. Also the weight of the Tarpon is almost 70 lbs…P15 comes in at 56.

Have also paddled the Tarpon 140, Cobra Tourer, and Malibu Stealth…all nice, but not as fast as the P15 and they do generate hull slap. I’ll be paddling my P15 for many years and was reminded on yesterday’s outing as to why I chose it. I suggest a test paddle if you can find one as this model has just been discontinued for the Trident series which are slightly slower and do not have as pronounced V bow. Some dealers probably have them still available and Craigslist may be worth checking. If you want and pics of my P15 loaded down in big water, send me a PM. Good luck.

HopOnTops
I have the Kevlar HopOnTop 18, AKA Hertiage Shearwater.

At 18’4" the Shearwater is just not realy meant for rough conditions. Of course, sometimes even the Pacific Ocean is pretty flat.

It is a really nice boat for longer distances on relatively protected waters. The lightest boat I have at an honest 44#.

It was my keeping up with fast SINKS boat, but I no longer paddle with groups. I have a full crew with family, and sometimes Tsunami Chuck. I realized I can’t keep up with Chuck no mattter what boat I take.

For real open water on the ocean I say 16’ is about the limit.

Most of my open water trips include surf launch/landing, sea caves, and rock gardens, so I go even shorter, and go with plastic.

The HopOnTop 16, AKA Hertiage Nomad, is a really good open water boat. I sold mine for what some might think a silly reason. Hull Slap. I just can not stand a loud boat. I really enjoy the silence of being on the ocean.

I would probaly still buy a Kevlar HopOnTop 15, AKA Hertiage Sedart, if I could find one, just because its only 33#. That would be nice.

Follow-up on purchase
My thanks to all who provived advice on this purchase. The good news is that I got the boat that really seems well suited to my purpose, and everyone seemed to like - the OK Scupper Pro. I got a new one at a very good price. The only down side, and no one mentioned this, is that this is a seriously homely boat, maybe even butt ugly. Especially the one I got -some kind of mottled “mango”. But, it’s a joy to paddle and that’s really all that matters.

The “bad” news is, in searching for the right boat, I got another one I liked - and Epic 18. I love this thing, but this wasn’t in my original budget.

Thanks again to all for your input.