opinions on GPS

speaking of watches…
I’ve got a $200 Suunto Vector watch. In fact, I’ve had four of them. This watch is marketed to active outdoorsman and I’ve used it’s barometer function for kayaking, it’s altimeter function for climbing and it’s compass function for hunting. But don’t press one of the buttons when the watch is underwater (as in rolling or wet exits, etc.) because it will let water into the watch. I’ve been through the owner’s manual looking for this information several times to no avail. After the third time this happened I quizzed the Suunto repair tech until he admitted that if the buttons are pressed when the watch is underwater it will leak. I’ve had much cheaper watches with the same 100 meter water resistance rating that this never happened to–that’ll learn me. Fortunately, Suunto has always given me a new or rebuilt watch when this has happened–even when past warranty. So I’m happy with the customer service and not real pleased with the ruggedness of the watch.

All this to say, I just wonder how many of our electronic kayaking gadgets are in the “same boat”, so to speak. My understanding is that there are different levels of submersible rating. Some “submersible” units are designed to survive a dunk, for example, 1 meter deep for 1/2 hour. Other subersible ratings mean the unit is actually designed to function underwater. Maybe the units that say “waterproof” and “submersible” but aren’t actually designed to operate underwater will leak if buttons are pushed as well? Perhaps not. And, this may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. There are various standards for water resistant, waterproof and submersible, but I’ve yet to see a standard that didn’t show some wiggle room under tough scrutiny. Buyer beware…

Mine has been operating great
inside a Ewa-marine clear soft plastic pouch for the past five years.

I can’t for the like of me undrstand why someone wants to create a argument with people that are speaking from long time experience.

Cheers,

JackL

You’re not the only one…
who has long term experience.

I’m happy that your GPS has worked great in it’s plastic bag. Really, I am.

I’m just passing on information that was given to me from Garmin themselves. You can take it whatever way you wish – but realize that at least I’m not surmising – I went to the source for the answer. Where better to go?

I can’t for the life of me, understand how someone can be so rigid in their thinking.

Anyway, enough of this silliness – I hope that at least some of the information in this thread has been helpful to groenhof.

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

etrex’s & Legends
Our youth organization has owned 4 yellow etrex’s for almost 2 years. They get a fair amount of use at camp and with various groups of kids year-round. This is not gentle use! We have had no problems, and often use them in pairs and find they are always in close agreement. I got a Legend for Fathers Day last year, and it, too, has seen a lot of use. I love it, especially being able to download waypoints directly when GeoCaching (see www.geocaching.com if unfamiliar with this term) which is the primary use for all of these.

Vaseline

– Last Updated: Apr-27-05 10:04 PM EST –

I am glad you have had success with Vaseline.
The battery compartments of aquatic gear are often not waterproof so as to allow the batteries to offgas a bit and let that hydrogen has escape. The internal components are generally sealed from the battery compartment however. Vaseline does work well for lubrication, but it is a water soluble grease, so it really should not be used in an attempt to waterproof anything. Try some silicone grease or Dow 111 if you want to try something truly waterproof. This is available at most outdoor sports shops and dive shops. Only a bit is needed though, so don't let it cake up. The grease itself can cause a leak if it is allowed to gunk up. Just a light coating to give the ruber or contacts a "sheen" is adequate.

Silicone Grease
I have to second that - as Vaseline will also degrade certain materials (plastics & synthetic rubbers) over time. Silicone grease (NOT caulk of adhesive!) will not.

Screen Size
I don’t like the small screens of Garmins. With middle-aged eyes I prefer Magellan.