Opto WP Advice

Actually

– Last Updated: Aug-08-06 4:13 PM EST –

I didn't really go thru 4 batteries. I used 4. Changed them before they lost power so that I could just shoot pictures. I have a 2 GIG card and 6 batteries. I have shot as much as 200 pictures on one battery (not using flash much)but prefer not to have to stop and change batteries out on the water so I bought extras. I had 2 that I got with the camera, so I bought 4 more. So I would have plenty.

I bought them from off the net

http://sterlingtek.stores.yahoo.net/penpbapaeq.html

I might not ever need to have 6 batteries, but they are real small to carry. and as far as I know no-one makes a solar recharger for them yet (love to have one)

Best Wishes
Roy

Better Results
I tried the new camera with new settings this evening and got significantly better results. I plugged in the sport mode and more sharpness, and ISO 400 and was able to take some good pictures. Sure am glad that it has the green mode as it would be a PITA to reset all those every time you turned the camera off. I will spend some time reading the manual and finding out what some of the other setting actually do, (I am not a camera expert, just like nice pictures). I am more confident that I made a good purchase but have further to go, thanks for all the good information.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

What’s next?
Why the Optio W20 just announced by Pentax today. Similar to the W10 but with 7 megapixels and an ISO1600 setting. Just the thing for grainy, noisy low light photos.

Motion artifact

– Last Updated: Aug-09-06 12:54 AM EST –

Your picture of the "thing" leaping out of the water could be affected by motion artifact. My non-waterproof Sony HD1 has a superb anti-shake feature, even at it's 12x zoom. Does the WP10 have anti-vibration feature? I know that, especially with all digital photography, there is very little tolerance for any motion whatsoever... much less forgiving than film. Professional photographers hold their breath when they point and shoot. Although this might not be amenable to you while in your sea kayak, I just wanted to point out the possibility of subtle motion artifact causing the blurring on many of your photos. For non-water pics, try carrying a simple, old fashioned beanbag as a poor man's tripod... place it on a rock or car hood, put the camera in it at proper angle, set the self-timer and take your picture. Zero motion artifact, better photos.

Paddle on, Garth.

Sorry to hear
about Pentax Optio problems.

OTOH, my Olympus Stylus 720 works great on the river and lake. Exposure is very good even in the PHD mode. No blurriness, unless I forget to wipe the drops off the lens.

Jim

some
of us don’t get blurry immages…just because someone on this forumn gets blurry images. Doesn’t mean that the camera has the problem. I have mine (optio WPI) set in the program mode, auto flash with the red eye reduction, digital zoom turned off…I just point it in a direction and push the button…rarely use zoom at all…me thinks that the user needs more practice. The button to shutter lag could be causing the user to push the button and then move the camera, instead of holding it still until after the photo has been captured.

Best Wishes

Roy

I agree
This is a wonderful camera. I too love mine and have had no problems with it.

Thanks I will order another from them
Before I take that week of vacation next month - out in the water practicing, relaxing, burning calories, staying along the shorelines and out of traffic, where I will be using my camera considerably.

batteries!
Reading about your experience w/ the batteries reminded me about the main reason I bought the WP43. It takes regular AA batteries! I hate messing w/ batteries.

I got 4 rechargeables and a charger at the dollar store and rarely run the batteries out. I’ve taken at least 75 pics and still had the batteries at half.

AND I get good pixs.

I think from what I’ve seen I done good getting the WP43!

WP33 or 43
I agree, try to find the 3.3 or 4.3 megapixel models. I have a WP33 and have had great results and use it as my go-to point and shoot digital camera.

I think that Pentax had problems with the CCD chips in the newer models.

However…
You still have to recharge them right? So how are you “not messing with batteries?”

Progress Update
First, I want to point out that my issues with the OptoW10 camera are user issues, not camera issues.

*The battery lasts longer than a half gig card lasts so that gives me the ability to take about a hundred and fifty shots without changing either. Ill buy a second battery and a second card for longer trips.

*Most of the issues I have are cockpit problems, I needed to learn about the various settings to use for optimum results with the camera. I had been spoiled with an older digital that did fine with the auto settings. This one does better with some tailering.

*I got this camera specifically because it was waterproof and would enable me to take pictures while on the water. That presents some additional set-up issues that have been talked about. Many of the shots I take from the cockpit which is moving. The camera is not as steady because I am not bracing it against my face looking through the view finder. And many of my subjects are moving. All that to say that my shutter speed was way too long when the camera was in auto mode and causing much of the out of focus result. I tried ISO 800 shutter speed last night and it worked better.

*The sport mode also improves my pictures as it plays with a couple of other settings like saturation according to the manual.

Anyway, I wanted to point out that the problems I have experienced with the camera were my problems not the camera. I suspect that as I learn and experiment more my results will improve further.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

I agree with Jeff —steekin’ batteries.

– Last Updated: Aug-10-06 7:34 AM EST –

You're still messing with batteries, and one day--mark my words--you'll be at a shoot and your rechargeables will run out and you'll not have access to either your charger cord or an outlet and you'll howl at the moon like a dog in heat. Me, I'll walk into a Wal-greens and get me a few more alkaline batteries. :)

PS And the above situation is most probable as--like laptop and cell phone batteries--yours has been charged and discharged a few dozen times, and your battery life runs very low/short (eventually getting to about 1/3 the life you had on the new battery--ouch!), and you'll howl at the sun like a starved alley cat and then fork over another $50 for a new battery--after missing many picture opportunities in the meantime. Me, I'll just walk in...well, you know what I'll do.

PPS: I have rechargeable alkaline Rayovac AAAs and guess what, I have the best of all worlds.

:) C ya, wouldn't want to b ya.

exactly!
What I meant was not messing w/ special “only fits my camera” batteries. I can get AA batteries almost anywhere on the planet on short notice. And my Dollar Store Energizer’s are working great. The work very well in my FF on my yak so I’m getting some more!

Not 50 Everywhere
I just looked at BSP where I purchased the camera and a spare battery is 29 plus shipping. I also looked at ebay and there are several for 12.95 and up plus shipping. About 20 dollars is certainly more than AA batteries but not much differant than a set of good rechargable AA’s. Non the less the availability of AAs everywhere is a plus.

Mark