OT Camper16 VS. OT Penobscot16RX

58lbs?
I never weighed my Camper, but I have weighed my Penobscot. With third seat, extra thwarts, and fiberglass repairs at the stems, it weighs 62lbs on my scale. 58lbs for an unmodified Penobscot with only two seats sounds about right. The Camper couldn’t have been much different.

Penobscot
The Penobscot is the way to go. I love mine. I pole it with Molly my Labrador retiever Hanging out on the gunnels. It will do what you described just fine.

As long as a canoe is light on the water
and has at least a teensy bit of rocker or dead rise at the ends, it will make a decent poling boat.

A flat bottom does make for minimal
draft, but it also means the chines are spread wider. I find that a round or v-bottomed boat can often be snuck through channels that catch the sides of a flat bottomed boat. There isn’t a perfect solution.

Thankyou
Thank you everyone! Penobscot it is. A 2010 Penobscot16RX in green will be making it’s way down from Maine on the next trip to Old Town. When it gets here, I’m gonna pimp it out with contour seats and yoke from Edscanoe.com Thanks again for the help.

Good decision, Pilgrim…
FE

Keep in touch!
Let us know how you like it – it’s always nice to complete the circle.

thanks
Thanks Angstrom, I appreciate your demo offer and photo of the hulls for comparison. Ya know, I fell in love with a Bell Eveningstar and almost bought it! This canoe I’m looking for needs to be a family canoe first, and the Bell just didn’t have room for a 3rd with the thwart setup in it. I’ve never seen a Bell canoe until then, but was extremely impressed with all the design and detail in the Bell. I liked the Morningstar, but it was a little shorter than the Penobscot. I liked the Eveningstar’s length, but the thwart configuration, extra width, and angled seats plus additional 8 pound weight forced me to go to the Penobscot. If I ever sell my OldTown Pack, it will be replaced with a Bell solo…so impressed with Bell. Really, the Penobscot is perfect for what I’m looking to do with it…and is a really nice boat (even has a cool name .LOL). Thanks again for the advice everyone!