OT: Handling of infected dead people for burial or cremation

My son’s father-in-law died in Bergamo after spending a month in the ICU. He was cremated and his large extended family can’t hold a funeral until the pandemic runs it’s course. Very hard on the family. My understanding is that the hospital there was only doing cremations at this point. Last time I saw him in November he was taking my grandson for a walk with his wife smiling and waving to us. Take care and make wise choices because the danger is real even for older relatively healthy adults.

Thanks for the tip on that book pikabike. Not sure if it’d be a very good or a very bad idea right now… but sometime.

There is no way that even a chamber sized orchestra - 20 to 30 people - can make music that would be coherent by distancing. Too many lags in response or slight variations in tempos that would be an inevitable part of using technology. It’d sound like a train wreck with good players trying it. Plus amateur or mixed pro/amateur groups don’t have the technology or funds to pay for it.

The only thing I can see that would work is all-string groups with masks on. But audiences have to want to come, and the reality is the major audience for classical music in in the higher risk group due to age. Plus players need to be willing to risk it. Singing groups out too, can hardly do it with masks.

I am not the only person I know who is not going to try any crowd scene until there is a vaccine, and one that more than five people have tried. This all kills this fall for most performing groups. There are way too many questions about how covid19 behaves over a longer time period, I personally think anyone who wants to run out and try for herd immunity is a fool. The only good news I can make of that impulse is the potential for it to alter who shows up to vote in November.

Most professional orchestras as well as amateur ones like mine who pay a conductor have resolved to pay their musicians as normal thru the end of this spring season. What happens after early June is anyone’s guess, if it looks like a fall season will not be possible.

The Chinook people of the lower Columbia River region of OR/WA buried their dead in canoes on a scaffold above ground. They added another inverted boat to cover the body and sent along a paddle, cooking pots and clothing for the next world.

These observations were made by Meriwether Lewis in the spring of 1806 on their way up the Columbia.
The Chinook and Clatsop Indians were traders and their tribes were decimated by contracting diseases carried by white people visiting the region, first by ship and then overland during the Fur Trade Era.

Handle … gently… Gases build up in dead bodies. PPE required.
Upon expiration muscle sphincters lose tone and the orifices they live in leak. The last meal comes back , the last BM is unrestrained, and peeing is very common. Working a code is bad enough before the patient is determined death but those are complicating factors.
If eyeballs are an issue, its usually because some sea creature like a lobster ate them ( we did not work that code!)

All paddlers should know how to do and carry face masks with one way valves to prevent disease transmission from the newly minted cardiac arrest. In the paddling environment the heart usually stops beating because of a lack of oxygen, not due to a clot or clot in one of the coronary arteries. In that case oxygen must be supplied.
For a garden type cardiac arrest where near drowning is not an issue untrained laypeople may do 30 seconds of compressions only which is regarded as sub optimal but better than nothing. But on the water rescue breathing is a necessity
A CPR course is cheap and good knowledge to have if you are a paddler.

Every paddler ou