OT: waterproof watches

I use a Nike Triax 65
and as an added bonus, it comes with a heart rate monitor.

Consider it done…
…and then you can leave it to your grandkids…

That’s why I consider watches disposable
On land, maybe not so. But if used in water, I don’t even want to mess with opening it up. Besides, the faces get scratched up or something else happens. Such as I lose the watch.

My first watch, received as a young teen, I overwound.

Next watch, I got a pricey self-winding Seiko. Not as accurate as the digitals we have now, and I returned from a bicycle time trial one night to find that it had gone HAYWIRE! The hands were circling round really, really fast. It was kind of funny, but unfortunately the repair cost as much as the watch had…and then the same thing happened not long afterward. I ditched it, bought an early Casio digital, and have stayed away from anything but inexpensive watches since then.

Besides, I like to have at least one spare watch. It’s not a big deal to buy a second Timex.

Rip Curl ATS Tidemaster
Since I spend most of my time paddling in saltwater, I really like this beautiful, very accurate tide watch. It’s rated waterproof down to 200 meters, and in the four plus years I’ve had it, I’ve never been disappointed.

I prefer the analogue type, but Rip Curl also makes digital tide watches. No heart rate monitor, but I’m more interested in the tide height, moon phase, and spring/neap dials, and also in the very accurate time keeping (five jewel Swiss movement).

The battery lasts four years (as advertised), and when it needs a new battery, I just take it back to the local surf shop where I got it, and they send it back to Rip Curl for the new battery and re-calibration of the tide functions if necessary. It’s a great paddling watch! :slight_smile:

Melissa

Another inexpensive brand, Casio.
Bought a cheapie water resistant Casio, used it for fihing (wade fishing, mostly), for six or seven years, band broke, put it in a drawer, looked at it five years later and it was still ticking, keeping time. Alas, the battery finally wore out.

Casio!!!
I had my last one for almost 6 years, 1 battery and 3 band changes. On the last band change the plastic one of the pins went into was so warn that eventually it popped out and I lost the watch. Made the mistake of buying a timex. The battery went after less than a year. Had it replaced at a ‘jewler’ who wouldn’t guarantee the seal. It died the first time I went swimming. Just replaced it with a Casio Sea-Pathfinder. Depth quage, altimeter and temperature for $99 at overstock.