Over $400 For My Kayak Rack Setup?!?!

no
mine is about the same but i “Only” paid about 300. I have used the 2 x 4 rack set up, but I found that it took longer to secure and unsecure the boats that way. and once I got a Cap, for my truck the 2 x 4 systems didnt work.

Take the plunge…
Like you I suffered sticker shock on the Thule and Yakima products. My answer = spend even more! We didn’t go with the cheapest route even though those who like me would call me frugal (some others might call me cheap). We got a 5’ x 12’ utility trailer and I did a retrofit with 2" galvanized fence pipe for under $50 that will carry five boats. At one time I had it rigged to carry nine boats. I found a pile of old boat cushions at a thrift shop for $1 each that seem to provde very adequate cushioning. Our outfit ain’t pretty but it works A+.

Advantages:

When we sell our current truck, we’ll still have the trailer.

For a little more money I’ll (one day) build a little shed out back so that the boats can stay on the trailer meaning all we’ll have to do is hitch-n-go.

I can take the yak rack off of the trailer and use it to haul dirt, help people move (groan!) etc…

We are now able to bring three boats, a B-bque pit, the 42" plasma screen TV and a Lazy-Boy recliner when we go camping! OK, OK we don’t really bring the TV… BUT we do bring three kayaks and three bikes.

Note: I’ve recently read that it’s a good idea to remove a leaf spring from trailers like ours to provide a softer ride for the load of boats. I might get around to it but so far… no problems to report.

Total investment to date, including taxes, inspection, unfair registration and late fees was about $850.

Yakking Over Yakimas
Put me down as a dis-satisfied Yakima customer. I suspect the satisfied customers have owned their Yakimas for over a year or two. It was during this period that Yakima was sold to an investment group. I suspect the bean counters are trading on a good name while the good name lasts before offering to sell the company again. I needed to replace the stainless steel bolt that secures my gunwale brackets. The local dealer told me it would cost $12 to order from Yakima. I went to the hardware store and found a stainless steel bolt for 89 cents. It lacks the custom-Yakima square head.

Gosh, how I long for the good old days. Pre-rain gutter times when an army of bearers would tote all our supplies as we strolled along, taking a few compass readings, drawing crude maps and trading with the locals for food.

Home made
If I am not mistaken, your vehicle has the round rack. Check at Home Depot electrical dept for unistrut and pipe straps. The unistrut comes in 10’ lengths and 2 thicknesses. It sill give you a very low profile strong flat base for anything you want to put up there. I make my own saddles out of 3/4" plywood doubled and shaped to fit the individual boats. I pad them with marine carpet. 2x4s will work also but the plywood does not warp. The unistrut is perforated and easy to attach the saddles to with bolts, washers and wing nuts. There are other types of pipe clamps that will work with other shapes of racks. You could have a strong rack for about $50. Since the strut is flat, curved racks can present a problem. An angle cut on the bottom of the saddles will cure the problem. Changing the height of the saddle will adjust height differentials.

Yep
My Yak setup is at least five years old. The only recent equipment I purchased was some of the J style carriers for my second boat.

I thought I lost the straps for my saddles and called Yak customer service. They were very helpful and charged a reasonable amount for a second set (found the first ones later of course). This was at least two years ago.

Why Would Yak Not PAD Saddles???
Why did they sell me UNPADDED saddles? This was CRAZY.

I burned the gelcoat off of several boats before I realized what this CRAP was doing…

I glued carpet to the saddles and now use regular NRS straps. The straps that came with the saddles were cheap, and were being CUT by the notches in the saddles.

Yuck. Yeah, these are the “old” saddles, and I guess the new ones are better, but WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING??? $600 to destroy my gelcoat? Such a deal… (argh)…

You could save a little…
by replacing the roller and mako mounts with the “economy” Landsharks. They are similar to, but not as fancy as the mako saddles. They come in a set of four for 70.00. You would still need one set for each boat.

Personally, I have the saddles and rollers and think they are a great setup. I think if I was trying to save a hundo I might be happy without the rollers. So I guess you need to decide if you really need the rollers.

Yep
this stuff is pricey, shopping around or buying used could help save some. On the otherhand this stuff will last a long time. Most of my rack and components are 10yrs old and I have some cycling gear going on 15 years old. Once you buy it, it should last you a while.

Kayak Stacker Problems
I have the Yakima kayak stacker now, but it doesn’t work for two 50lb boats. Actually, it’s not the stacker that is the problem, it’s the mighty mounts that secure the stacker to the roof rack. The single bolt that keeps the mighty mount closed popped through the plastic top of the mighty mount, rendering them completely useless.

I think it was just a matter of too much weight concentrated on four measly “mighty” mounts. I even used a longer screw with a washer on the end, and the bold still tries to pop out the top.

Ultimately, here’s the way I have to look at it. I can go do-it-yourself, which I’m horrible at by the way, and save some money but waste oodles of hours on the learning curve, or I can buy an inferior rack setup (like the kayak stacker I now have) and have a coronary ever time I hit a bump or brake hard and end up spending 10X the original amount in a retainer for a lawyer when I almost kill someone with a loose kayak…

or I can just bite the bullett and go with my suggested setup in the first post. I’ll heed everyone’s warnings about the saddles being rough on the kayaks.

Man, I wish I were a do-it-yourselfer right now!

Yep
You’re right about the Nissan Xterra rack. It sure looks nice, but it’s a bit of a hassle.

Even with it’s trouble, it’s still better than my wife’s CRV roof rack. That thing looks like it was made with pipe cleaners. Does the job just fine though.

The Wife
The wife wants something that she can handle solo as well. I figure for a few extra bucks, I’ll get the rollers that allow my wife the option of being able to load and unload solo.

Good Point
on the rollers. My wife doesn’t load the boats often, but she definitely likes that feature. I enjoy the saddles as well becuase I have a taller pickup. I don’t think the rollers would be needed on a shorter vehicle.

Another money saver might be to consider getting the landsharks and splitting the two pairs for the front mounts. It will still save a few bucks over two sets of makos.

Imagine having it stolen!
My mini-van had a $430 Thule system on it WITH the cam locks, a stacker and a roller. When the cops found the van, the thieves managed to pry off the bars from the clips. That makes a guy feel good. At least my boat was’nt on it at the time, but unfortunately my PFD and paddle werent recovered and the insurance did’nt cover those items. Ouch.

Man…
getting that stolen hurts!!

I was actually thinking of contacting my insurance agent after I get all this stuff (IF I do). I figure I can cancel the insurance November - March, then reactivate it - covering both boats and all the exposed, expensive rack equipment, the rest of the year. The few bucks it would cost would really be worth the peace of mind of being able to float down a river without worrying about how I have $250 worth of saddles and rollers just laying on top of my vehicle exposed.

I already have kayak lashes with a padlock that I bought off of ebay that work great for securing the boats. It’s just the rack stuff that I’m worried about.

Check E-bay
It may take a while to accumulate what you want, and you may need to get some of your rack parts retail, but I put together a full Yak system ($400+) for a little over $200. Some parts were used, moste were new - including the clips, Q-towers, bars and stacker. Good luck.

Yakima Sells Locks for Towers
The locks hold the bars to the towers.